Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 12:20 PM

11,410 posts, read 7,738,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
We went to every party. I think people are awful about not RSVP'ing anymore. It should still be basic etiquette.
I agree about RSVPing. How hard is it to respond via phone, text or email?

As far as attending every party, my kids did not. When they were young it seemed to be the thing to do to invite EVERYONE in the class regardless of whether the birthday child was friends with your child or not. When an invite arrived (usually in a backpack not the mailbox), I always asked them if they'd like to go. Sometimes the answer was "No. I'm not really friends with her. Her mom made her invite everyone, but I don't want to go". I always respected my kids choice and responded with a "Thank you for the invite, but Susie will not be able to attend". When their birthdays came around, they selected the kids they wanted to invite and we mailed invites to homes instead of passing them out in school so no one would feel slighted.

I'm just not a fan of everyone has to be invited when reality is your kid isn't friends with everyone and shouldn't be forced to include people if they'd rather not. Nor should other kids be forced to include mine if they'd rather not. In other words, parents should stop trying to legislate friendship and trust their kids to work it out for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 12:26 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,608,156 times
I see a few things here. First, I'm probably a bit older than some people here (class of 88). I'm not so sure in this case that "times" have changed, but people certainly had. Secondly, so not everyone in the class is always a bestie, however, I see going to do new things with new people as a great learning experience and a great way to make NEW friends. Just my opinion, but I think avoiding an event because all your besties may not be there is a little closed minded and kids grow up not knowing how to include new people or how to mingle with them.
Lastly, people for the most part have become so self absorbed that proper etiquette can't be bothered with. Sports and activities existed when I was a kid, but when something conflicted with a schedule, people would take 5 minutes out of their day to call and let the hosts know.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:29 PM

22,306 posts, read 47,253,896 times
Quote:
. First, I'm probably a bit older than some people here (class of 88).
You are quite a bit younger than I

Old 09-08-2016, 12:30 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,608,156 times
Good answers. I always try and follow up when I don't hear back. Now my daughter is in her last year of middle school and no one really invites everyone anymore. It's gotten to the handful of friends to hang out doing some kind of fun thing.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I see a few things here. First, I'm probably a bit older than some people here (class of 88). I'm not so sure in this case that "times" have changed, but people certainly had. Secondly, so not everyone in the class is always a bestie, however, I see going to do new things with new people as a great learning experience and a great way to make NEW friends. Just my opinion, but I think avoiding an event because all your besties may not be there is a little closed minded and kids grow up not knowing how to include new people or how to mingle with them.
Lastly, people for the most part have become so self absorbed that proper etiquette can't be bothered with. Sports and activities existed when I was a kid, but when something conflicted with a schedule, people would take 5 minutes out of their day to call and let the hosts know.
Don't assume that kids don't want to attend parties because their besties aren't going. Especially when the entire class is included and your besties are invited as well. Sometimes it's that the kid who invited you (cause their Mom forced them) and their besties will make the party a nightmare for your kid and her friends if they go.

That's why I always asked my kids if they wanted to attend. Kids are not dumb. They know who their friends are and who are not and when they've been included by choice or force.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:39 PM

22,306 posts, read 47,253,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Kids are not dumb. They know who their friends are and who are not and when they've been included by choice or force.
A lot of people tend to overlook/forget that!

Old 09-08-2016, 12:40 PM

7,329 posts, read 4,586,557 times
I too am grappling with the changes. Things are becoming more virtual each day ...

we now have virtual schools
we now have virtual jobs
we now can do virtual dating
we now can send virtual flowers
we now can send virtual gifts

Maybe there will be virtual birthday parties?

Old 09-08-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
A lot of people tend to overlook/forget that!

Yep and that's why I don't like it when parents force kids to invite everyone. Not to mention it's not the way the world works. Some people will like you and others will not. Better to figure out how to find and befriend those who do like you sooner rather than later. The saddest kids I've ever seen are those who parents tell them that everyone HAS to like and befriend them and the poor kid goes around trying to make that happen.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
First, I'm probably a bit older than some people here (class of 88). .

I wish. I had my last kid in 88.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:56 PM

28,857 posts, read 30,106,770 times
Why this and why that, no one can think and believe as another, unfortunately we all think and do things differently....

I don't know if the mother did or did not mention that the child was handicapped, what would it matter?

A family member, has an autistic child, and I don't see what the problem is, b/c you want them to have as normal life as possible.

I don't know if she asked for RSVP's, that would be very important to do? However....who knows, perhaps the mother is somewhat handicapped?

As far as my perfect world that I grew up in (and Pitt Chick, this is not directed at you) I'm so sorry someone took offense, but the world has indeed changed, big time, some really great things, but society as a whole has regressed and not progressed....

I don't know what this woman did or didn't do...I just think it's awful that not one student showed up for the party. I do know that the whole family came and rallied around the kid, but still, are things so busy, so mixed up, so bad, that just a few students couldn't have come. And as far as someone saying asking for gifts...yanno what, at that age, a gift is a gift, doesn't have to be expensive, just something for the kid to open with those big happy wide eyes.

I'm sorry, but I've heard of this happening before....and it's pathetic, that we've become so segregated in our friendships.....I'm sure, there were kids that came to my birthday party that didn't want to come. I had one in my entire life, and it made me very happy...I think I was 6 years old....I don't know who didn't come, it didn't matter, b/c kids did show up...and I never heard of such a thing, when a parent has a party for their kid, and so many do not show up...

yeah, some kids may have been busy, some parents may have been on vacation, but not one child shows up???????

Sorry...I think it's awful....regardless....

and once again...I'm not attacking anyone here in this thread, I just felt very heartbroken for the kid...and thought perhaps someone else might have something to offer, or knew someone it happened to...I didn't ask for synd remarks....

yes, I am older and realize things are done differently today, but just b/c I'm older doesn't mean I don't know anything.....or I'm wrong for feeling the way I do...

and as far as FORCING a kid to go...who is the parent here, you or the kid? First off, you can explain, to the child, your birthday is coming up and I bet it would make you very happy to have other kids come to your party....and second, forcing the kid to go? Why? What reason would the kid have not to go to a party?

My gosh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting