Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 05:44 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
My (9 y/o) daughter got an invitation a week ago for a fun birthday party for a girl she is semi-friends with. They play sometimes, but my daughter is weary about her because the girl and her other friends like to do "naughty" things (like pass notes when the teacher is teaching, not like major stuff). My daughter does not want to get in trouble.

I asked her if she wanted to go and she said "I guess so" (its a sleep over). So I RSVPed yes. This weekend I got a invite to one of my daughter's closer friends that conflicts with the first party! Eek! I'm guessing the other kid didn't get an invite to the sleep over because it seems like the second party planned would try not to cause any time conflicts (all in the same class).

I think I should talk to my daughter and explain we are going to go to the first party because we already said yes and that it is right. She is going to be upset, I think.

LOL anyone else deal with party conflicts?
OMG I HATE party conflicts! Why does it always seem like every kid in the world was born in the same month as every other kid in the world? ... Until the NEXT month rolls around ...

I think you made the right decision; an RSVP is a commitment & kids need to learn that.

I have twin 14 year old girls & they are both very popular & have many mutual friends but also many different friends & chaos ALWAYS ensues ...

Sometimes they get an invitation for both of them handed to one of them. Sometimes only one is invited to a party they both want to go to.

Then there is the both are invited to seperate parties on the same night which is better than both getting invited to the same 2 parties on the same night ... UGH!

Last year I made the grand-slam of parental fails & somehow managed to agree to them each having their own sleep-over birthday party. Meaning; a housefull of 7 screaming/giggling/eating gaggle of girls... TWO WEEKENDS IN A ROW... UGH!

At least they are not in elementary school anymore; those Hannah Montana years were rough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 05:57 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
While I do think an RSVP is a commitment, I also think that commitment can be voided with a gracious apology. Not a last minute change of plans though. How long before the parties were these invitations issued?

Old 09-11-2016, 08:33 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
While I do think an RSVP is a commitment, I also think that commitment can be voided with a gracious apology. Not a last minute change of plans though. How long before the parties were these invitations issued?
2 and 3 weeks.

I think...yes, in some cases its ok to back out. But in this situation, both girls are likely to notice. I don't want to teach my daughter to be a "mean girl". The more I learn and talk to my daughter, the more right it is to keep the first invite. I hope the parents notice and work it out so all the kids invited to #1 can also go to #2

Old 09-11-2016, 08:50 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
2 and 3 weeks.

I think...yes, in some cases its ok to back out. But in this situation, both girls are likely to notice. I don't want to teach my daughter to be a "mean girl". The more I learn and talk to my daughter, the more right it is to keep the first invite. I hope the parents notice and work it out so all the kids invited to #1 can also go to #2
I understand, and I am not questioning your reasoning. It seems as though there might be some mean girl stuff already in play though, if girls who supposedly are friends are leaving each other off their invite lists. I hope not, 9 seems awfully young for all that drama!

Old 09-11-2016, 09:21 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,918 times
Quote:
2 and 3 weeks.

I agree! Allowing her to 'uninvite' herself to the first party would be wrong.

Too all parents aren't like you!

Too many parents are afraid their kids will get mad at them and don't teach them to do the right thing.

Last edited by Charlotteborn; 09-11-2016 at 10:12 PM..

Old 09-12-2016, 08:20 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
I would also explore ways to attend part of both. If #1 is a sleepover and #2 is not, then maybe attend #2 earlier in the evening, then go to #1 for the rest of the night and sleep over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting