Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2016, 03:10 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,767,204 times

Advertisements

12-Year-old Creates First App to Help Alzheimer’s Patients Keep Track of Things

12-Year-old Creates First App to Help Alzheimer's Patients Keep Track of Things - Good News Network

Quote:
Emma Yang had become increasingly frustrated trying to communicate with her grandmother suffering from Alzheimer’s disease.

The teen had a hard enough time keeping in touch because of the distance between her home in New York and her grandma in Hong Kong.
Teens Develop Revolutionary App That Will Teach Blind Children Braille

Teens Develop Revolutionary App That Will Teach Blind Children Braille - Good News Network

Quote:
This team of teens were shocked to learn that only 10% of blind people under the age of 18 could read braille – so they created the first app of its kind that could change the game for visually challenged children.

The app is designed to announce words and letters aloud for the blind user while it constructs the phrase in braille on a simulator. That way, the children can feel the way the sound is spelt on the gadget.
Boy Goes From Passing Notes to Learning Sign Language For Deaf Classmate–and Wins Award

Boy Goes From Passing Notes to Learning Sign Language For Deaf Classmate

Quote:
Ross Kelly wasn’t looking for rewards or recognition when he learned sign language – he just wanted to communicate with Isam Gurung and conform to his deafness.

After Isam transferred from a specialty school in Sydney to Amaroo Primary School in Canberra, Australia he was too shy to talk to any of his new peers.

That’s when he and Ross started passing notes, leading to their blossoming friendship.

Wanting a more efficient form of communication, Ross learned Auslan, the Australian version of sign language.
This Teenager And Her 82-Year-Old Grandpa Are Going To College Together

This Teenager And Her 82-Year-Old Grandpa Are Going To College Together

Classmates come to watch 10-year-old girl with special needs be formally adopted - TODAY.com

See how this single mom made sure her son didn't miss out on 'Donuts with Dad' - TODAY.com

There are a lot of stories of kids helping other kids at school, at church, at home, etc. Don't take one negative story as the only thing you can hold on to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 03:18 PM

11,409 posts, read 7,728,103 times
Completely agree. I'm tired of threads that begin with the premise that things are going to heck based on what someone read on the Internet. Why some people don't get that stories are worded to garner the largest number of viewers and that frequently the facts of the article don't support the title at all. Sensationalism is alive and well on the Web and sadly many take it as Gospel.

Old 09-11-2016, 03:30 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,032,822 times
Thanks, nana. Agreed, UNC.

Old 09-11-2016, 03:38 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,186,470 times
Definitely. There are pretty terrific kids today, just as there always has been

Old 09-11-2016, 04:33 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times
Agree with all of you. I should start one about Millennials. I'm sick of seeing them get dissed, and of being told that mine are "exceptions" because they have professional jobs and aren't living under bridges.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:13 PM

11,409 posts, read 7,728,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Agree with all of you. I should start one about Millennials. I'm sick of seeing them get dissed, and of being told that mine are "exceptions" because they have professional jobs and aren't living under bridges.
Ain't that the truth? We had dinner with our 2 daughters and son in law last night. All 3 of them have their Masters and SIL is halfway through his MBA. Both daughters are making well into a 6 figure income (at 28 and 30) and SIL already has a job when he graduates that will pay just shy of 200K. And I know plenty more like them.

No doubt people in every generation are struggling, but to say Millennials as a group are failing just isn't so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting