U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 12:28 AM

5,427 posts, read 3,306,860 times

Advertisements

I don't have any kids but this reminds me when I was 12(29, will be 30 in Dec),my pediatrician wanted to check my private parts and I put up and big struggle. The nurse came in to help him, meanwhile I started cussing and screaming at my mom who just stood there like an idiot .

She finally told them to stop and they gave up. No way was I going to let them do it. If I have a child I would allow a doctor to do if they my child is unconfortable.

OP allowing doctor to touch years foreskin and all???!!!!! Sorry but I would never allow that to happen to me. Your kid is tolerant, I was not as a child.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:32 AM

5,427 posts, read 3,306,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Some doctors do it and others don't. We switched pediatricians because our daughter refused to go to a male doctor anymore, even though he had been her doctor since she was born. The female doctor we switched to insisted on a fairly detailed exam and made me hold my daughter down while she had a look. We never went back. In hindsight, I should have refused that part of the exam because my daughter was so obviously uncomfortable.

The first time my daughter saw her current doctor, she said, "I just want you to know, my underpants are never coming off in this office. If you're going to think I'm weird or have something wrong or insist on having a look when I've said no, then I'll just leave now and not waste your time." The doctor said that was fine as long as my daughter would tell her if there was ever a problem inside the underpants.
Yes I was u comfortable when I was kid, so much so that I shouted and hurled abuse at my mom to do somethig, and she did.

I just find it YUCK.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:47 AM

1,770 posts, read 1,120,245 times
Quote:
Some doctors do it and others don't. We switched pediatricians because our daughter refused to go to a male doctor anymore, even though he had been her doctor since she was born. The female doctor we switched to insisted on a fairly detailed exam and made me hold my daughter down while she had a look. We never went back. In hindsight, I should have refused that part of the exam because my daughter was so obviously uncomfortable.

The first time my daughter saw her current doctor, she said, "I just want you to know, my underpants are never coming off in this office. If you're going to think I'm weird or have something wrong or insist on having a look when I've said no, then I'll just leave now and not waste your time." The doctor said that was fine as long as my daughter would tell her if there was ever a problem inside the underpants.
You do realize that could have really messed up your kid right?

Old 09-13-2016, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
You are responding to a Mom that has three sons--all au naturale.

The foreskin keeps it clean. Do they check to make sure girls are keeping all their crevices clean?
Normal bathing will keep it clean. No, I really don't think it can tighten back up. LEAVE it alone! Teach your sons normal hygiene rules.
You are exactly right.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Yes, very normal, and very important. Sadly now many pediatricians are hampered by either keyboard physician parents or paranoid parents who see a pedophile around every corner.

Usually in girls a look, in boys a touch to check on the testicles.
No, it really isn't very important. Between a couple of years old and puberty, there isn't that much that goes wrong down there.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:56 AM

8,883 posts, read 10,374,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megamom82 View Post
My son (11) has always had his privates parts checked by our pediatrician at his yearly check-up. At the end of a check-up, she'll take a quick look down the front of his boxers to see if hair has sprouted, then have him pull them down to his ankles and she checks for a hernia and pulls back his foreskin to make sure he's keeping it clean and it isn't too tight.

I've never had any problem with this, but I recently talked to my sister and she was shocked. She said her daughter (who's 14) never gets her privates looked at.

Is it normal for doctors to be checking all this? How much does your kids' pediatrician check?
I've never had sons but I think your sister being shocked is a bit silly. There is a difference (in the sexes). You have a boy with intact foreskin, and I don't find it odd that they'd do a hernia check. Whole different story with a 14 year old girl. When my daughter was a baby I remember her ped checking her genitalia (I was present) but not during her elementary years unless she was experiencing a UI or something. Your sister is comparing apples and oranges.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:37 AM

5,294 posts, read 4,612,051 times
Quote:
My son (11) has always had his privates parts checked by our pediatrician at his yearly check-up. At the end of a check-up, she'll take a quick look down the front of his boxers to see if hair has sprouted, then have him pull them down to his ankles and she checks for a hernia and pulls back his foreskin to make sure he's keeping it clean and it isn't too tight.

I've never had any problem with this, but I recently talked to my sister and she was shocked. She said her daughter (who's 14) never gets her privates looked at.

Is it normal for doctors to be checking all this? How much does your kids' pediatrician check?
I'm fairly certain your pediatrician is not remiss in failing to check your daughter for hernias and a clean foreskin. Different genders have different health needs. I can't believe you are even wondering about this.

I'm pretty sure my girls never got more than a peek down their panties.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:46 AM

4,179 posts, read 1,767,651 times
Quote:

They are definitely NOT checking for hair growth. Lol.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:12 AM

6,171 posts, read 4,998,839 times
They do this for checkups for adults as well, they look for early signs of testicular cancer.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:51 AM

85,100 posts, read 99,245,659 times
Quote:

How old is your daughter? That sounds like a fairly sophisticated statement for a child to make. How is a child supposed to know if there is a problem inside the underpants? If the child was very uncomfortable the first visit, I can see deferring, but at some point in time a quick glance would be a good idea to check for normal hair distribution and the like. My daughter was getting a sports physical at 14 and was dressed in a patient gown. The doctor examined her abdomen and saw a mole in her groin area which was normally covered up with underpants or a bathing suit bottom. She (doctor) said the mole should be removed. It turned out to be melanoma. I am grateful for doctors being thorough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
You do realize that could have really messed up your kid right?
Oh, for pity's sake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
They do this for checkups for adults as well, they look for early signs of testicular cancer.
I've read chart notes on the older boys and seen that the doctor taught testicular self-exam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or