Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 06:29 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times

Advertisements

Yeah it must be our current school's policies.

When I was a kid, I was terrified of getting lice. My sister had it a couple times and I was just terrified. More about the stigma then anything...well that and bugs in my hair.

I never did get it but I have had many cases of psychosomatic lice. People start talking about it, or I get a letter home, and I get itchy...for days. And then I am sure I have lice. And I don't. So getting the notices really sets me on edge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 06:30 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
I operate under the assumption that there is always at least one person at my kids' school who has lice on any given day. Sometimes the school will send out a warning if they know of a case of lice and sometimes they won't.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Um, you do realize that farm kids are no more susceptible to get lice than city kids, right? Not sure why that comment was made.

Growing up, a few kids would get lice. When my kids went to school, there were a few kids each year who got them...the lice never showed any socio-economic preference, infecting across all income levels and living situations.
I actually do know that. It was just an off handed statement. Sorry if offended you

As an aside (not calling farm kids dirty) lice like clean hair over dirty. So when I was a kid, having lice was thought to be dirty, but actually its not.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I operate under the assumption that there is always at least one person at my kids' school who has lice on any given day. Sometimes the school will send out a warning if they know of a case of lice and sometimes they won't.
When I was reading about it, it sounds like it takes a long time to usually find the lice. That the person has had it for a long time before discovering it.

OMG my head is starting to itch.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:34 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Our elementary school never had an outbreak.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:51 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
When I was reading about it, it sounds like it takes a long time to usually find the lice. That the person has had it for a long time before discovering it.

OMG my head is starting to itch.
Sometimes that's true but not always. Some people will catch it early and some won't. My kids have had it. It's a hassle because it's time consuming but ultimately not that big of a deal. I do check their hair every now and then for it. And my head gets very itchy anytime I think too long about it.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:25 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
They have sprays and preventative shampoos now, I've seen it at Walmart. There are also plenty of online resources now. The sprays smell like mint, evidently an offensive smell to lice.

I'm like you OP. I get the creepy crawlies if I am around a child who has it. I'm getting them just reading your thread :/

My old bosses daughter had it once, but he forgot to tell me until after I'd picked her up from school and taken her shopping and spent the afternoon with her at my desk coloring.

I spent days trying to make sure it hadn't transferred in my car, or onto me.

Tip...Many folks forget to spray car seats, baby car seats, boosters.
and the reason folks seems to think it happens more in the North...We wear more outer scarves, hats, mittens...it can transfer easily at the coat hooks imo.

OP try the sprays to keep your child from catching from other lil heads.

https://www.reference.com/web?qsrc=9...broad&an=msn_s

https://www.verywell.com/head-lice-h...medies-2634620

Old 09-13-2016, 07:42 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
My mother is a school nurse. She says that usually it can be traced back to one daycare, Church group, carpool, etc...

It sounds like they have a source and they haven't zeroed in on it or haven't been able to make that source clean up.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:46 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Some schools will send kids home for lice and others won't. We never got any notifications about lice at my daughter's elementary school but I knew kids who lived on our block who had it all the time, and my daughter said the teachers would just tell them not to share hats or put their heads together.
I agree, some school send home more notices than other schools.

Also, as another poster mentioned, in the north the kids wear more hats & scarves in the winter and sometimes switch hats to try them on or are just careless because it looks like their black hat. Also, coat room or coat area can get pretty crowded with coats, snow pants, hats, mitten scarves so it easy for the hats & scarves to touch each other.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree, some school send home more notices than other schools.

Also, as another poster mentioned, in the north the kids wear more hats & scarves in the winter and sometimes switch hats to try them on or are just careless because it looks like their black hat. Also, coat room or coat area can get pretty crowded with coats, snow pants, hats, mitten scarves so it easy for the hats & scarves to touch each other.
I was really surprised last winter how many times coats, hats, etc got mixed up, even though the kids had their own place to put their stuff. We even ended up minus one expensive pair of winter boots. I couldn't imagine a parent not realizing they hd an extra pair...but likely we were the only ones with only one pair being it was our first winter.

I could see that causing a lot of cross contamination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting