Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 08:19 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,894,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
So you say---so what if her parents post the pictures? But you have similar pictures and won't post them? Obviously you have a reason for not posting your kid taking a crap on the toilet, yes? That sounds like what the daughter is asking. She's not asking them to get rid of the pictures completely she's asking them to remove them from their social media.

And hey, people have sex, right? Almost every adult has sex. Why not post pictures of that too? You wouldn't mind, right?

So instead of listing a bunch of nonsense and examples of when a reasonable request should/should not be considered, what are the reasons "that they can't comply with" in terms of removing photos of their daughter from their social media? Their photos. Their social media. And the reason they can't click delete is because...

...oh right they're just jerks. But I'm curious as to what the "spatial, fiscal, safety and timing" issues could be in THIS situation. This one, not hypothetical ones.
Give me a break. There are millions of pictures of kids sitting on potties on film before digital. And in the bathtub with brothers and sisters. It was like a right of passage. Some how today's special snowflakes need their safe rooms and trigger warnings. Who truly gives a flying fig if they are on social media except a special snowflake.

Really, give it a break. I'm willing to bet that virtually everyone here is in such a picture, and that picture has been shared numerous times with family and friends. It's a big deal only if you make it so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 08:25 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,102,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Give me a break. There are millions of pictures of kids sitting on potties on film before digital. And in the bathtub with brothers and sisters. It was like a right of passage. Some how today's special snowflakes need their safe rooms and trigger warnings. Who truly gives a flying fig if they are on social media except a special snowflake.

Really, give it a break. I'm willing to bet that virtually everyone here is in such a picture, and that picture has been shared numerous times with family and friends. It's a big deal only if you make it so.
HUGE difference between a photo in a box in mom and dad's closet, and a photo posted on the internet for hundreds of people (at least) to see. Does that really need to be pointed out?

Old 09-16-2016, 08:57 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,851,003 times
As soon as I read someone using the phrase "special snowflake" I know they are out of touch and angry about their own lives but displacing it on others.

What an ugly turn of phrase.

Every human is like a snowflake. And every previous generation has bad things to say about a new generation (not all..some).

Get off my lawn (in an old man's voice)

Old 09-16-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
HUGE difference between a photo in a box in mom and dad's closet, and a photo posted on the internet for hundreds of people (at least) to see. Does that really need to be pointed out?

Apparently we see things differently. And that is OK.

Now, about that tea, oolong or jasmine?

Old 09-16-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
As soon as I read someone using the phrase "special snowflake" I know they are out of touch and angry about their own lives but displacing it on others.

What an ugly turn of phrase.

Every human is like a snowflake. And every previous generation has bad things to say about a new generation (not all..some).

Get off my lawn (in an old man's voice)
Thank you for the amateur attempt at psychoanalysis. More people like you are needed in society.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:57 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,851,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Thank you for the amateur attempt at psychoanalysis. More people like you are needed in society.
Why thank you. Luckily for you I am a parent and am raising tons more like me

You are welcome.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:55 PM

18,556 posts, read 7,329,249 times
Hmmm.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:07 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,196,463 times
The veracity of this article is now under question. Yeah, this thing is only made a big deal if one makes it so. If this was true, the parents' attitude is despicable, how difficult is it to just take down those photos or hide them from everyone else aside from themselves? The entire family is narcissistic. Unless this girl is Melania Trump, who gives a hoot that her childhood photos can be seen online? Sorry, if it's not of her nude from her teens onward, most people will honestly just ignore the photos. The photos may be available to her parent's 700+ facebook friends but how many actually look at them or remember them?

In facebook, I normally only look at a couple of photos from each event and move on. These are recent photos from real-life friends whose kids are about the same age as mine. Interest level is not even high. I have facebook friends who overshare their kid's photos, and there are certainly photos that I will not post online if those were my kids. I just ignore those photos or even hide those photos (or even all posts from that person) from future viewing. How self-important does this family feel that they go to court over old photos? If one analyzes it, they're just probably going to court over photos that no other people actually look at! Yes, they're available online, but does anyone really have any interest in looking at them? To this family: "get a life!"

Old 09-16-2016, 11:21 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,652,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitchyou View Post
At first before reading the article, i was on board with those who called the teenage girl a spoiled brat, she needs to get over it, etc. But, upon seeing a picture of her potty training...i feel like that is questionable, just like parents who post pictures of their kids at bath time and not enough bubbles cover them up........i mean, it is just a picture, but a personal one at that.
I agree that crosses a line. I share pictures of my daughter with people who want to see them, but the personal things never hit Facebook. Playing in a park with her friends, sure. Bath time, not so much. They may be little, but their privacy can still be violated.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:52 PM

15,246 posts, read 12,891,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I am a father, and would go out of my way to NOT do something that my sons did not like done to them. I think the young lady is right and I think she will prevail in court.
I am not so sure. Austria has some strange laws. Anyone remember Father of the Year Josef Fritzl? Imprisoned his 18 year old daughter in the basement for 24 years and abused her repeatedly. She bore him seven children, some of which he put in baskets and pretended they were foundlings so that he and his wife could adopt them.

Fritzl had a rape conviction and was a suspect in another rape. Yet his record was expunged after 15 years, because that's the law in Austria. So the adoption authorities had no idea what a monster he was.

According to Arnold Schwarzenegger, who spoke of himself and other children being beaten with belts, Austria has an authoritarian child-rearing tradition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting