Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 04:54 PM

480 posts, read 668,453 times

Advertisements

We're first time parents of kindergarten kids. These are my observations of the school's PTSA. Wondering if they are typical of other PTSAs?

1) I'm getting an enormous amount of flyers being sent home with my kid from the PTSA. Most of them involve sending the PTSA money to purchase a product, fundraise, or otherwise send them money. The ones that don't involve sending money involve me spending my time on something that I wasn't planning on doing in the first place.

2) I wrote out a check and filled out a membership form, and e-mailed them on where I should send it. Twice. Nobody could be bothered to return my e-mail.

3) I peeked at the need for volunteers, and saw they need someone to process applications. I thought - I could do that. Then I noticed that one of the board members had taken 70% of the slots already.

4) But of course, they send letters to the editor that nobody wants to volunteer. They have a big shingdig in the spring and desperately need volunteers to coordinate the whole thing, and the board can't do everything, you know. But, they sure can do the easy jobs.

I dunno, I think I'm going to send the check I had written out to them through the shredder since nobody can be bothered to get back to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 06:06 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
We're first time parents of kindergarten kids. These are my observations of the school's PTSA. Wondering if they are typical of other PTSAs?

1) I'm getting an enormous amount of flyers being sent home with my kid from the PTSA. Most of them involve sending the PTSA money to purchase a product, fundraise, or otherwise send them money. The ones that don't involve sending money involve me spending my time on something that I wasn't planning on doing in the first place.

2) I wrote out a check and filled out a membership form, and e-mailed them on where I should send it. Twice. Nobody could be bothered to return my e-mail.

3) I peeked at the need for volunteers, and saw they need someone to process applications. I thought - I could do that. Then I noticed that one of the board members had taken 70% of the slots already.

4) But of course, they send letters to the editor that nobody wants to volunteer. They have a big shingdig in the spring and desperately need volunteers to coordinate the whole thing, and the board can't do everything, you know. But, they sure can do the easy jobs.

I dunno, I think I'm going to send the check I had written out to them through the shredder since nobody can be bothered to get back to me.
1) our school stopped with the flyers and went to e-mail and twitter to tell parents about stuff like this. There is one big fundraiser a year, where the kids sell stuff. Most of the rest of the year is things like restaurant nights. You buy dinner, the school gets a percentage. They never just plain ask for a check.

2) uuummm.. I would assume you return it to the school. Why would you send it anywhere else?

3) Go to a meeting so you can be the first to sign up, or e-mail the board and say you'd love to do whatever, but those slots are already full. Is there room for one more to help with that?

4) Sounds like maybe it isn't run very well. Offer feedback in a polite way. "I'd love to volunteer, but I'm not able to do xyz. Do you need help with abc?"

Old 09-21-2016, 07:45 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Sounds pretty typical. It seems no matter where you go there is a group of 10 moms (and 1 dad) doing all the work, pretending they want more help but then ignoring offers (or making it hard to jump in).

I am sure there are great PTSA orgs...but many are run wacky.

So many have an "in crowd"

Old 09-21-2016, 09:08 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Sounds pretty typical. It seems no matter where you go there is a group of 10 moms (and 1 dad) doing all the work, pretending they want more help but then ignoring offers (or making it hard to jump in).

I am sure there are great PTSA orgs...but many are run wacky.

So many have an "in crowd"
I'm on the Board for the school PTA this year. In previous years, I've been a room parent and fairly (though not obsessively) active in my kids' schools. I agree with the above. What OP describes is pretty typical, IMO. When I joined the Board, I didn't realize it, but there is some definite drama between a few members. In a way, it's kind of comical. I've identified a few people that I think are good eggs, no nonsense, get things done type of people...and I avoid the rest of them.

Some people have a self inflated view of their own importance. That said, PTA's in some schools raise hundreds of thousands of dollars, and do things that benefit the entire student population. And yes, it is almost always a small group of people that are getting things done.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:20 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I'm on the Board for the school PTA this year. In previous years, I've been a room parent and fairly (though not obsessively) active in my kids' schools. I agree with the above. What OP describes is pretty typical, IMO. When I joined the Board, I didn't realize it, but there is some definite drama between a few members. In a way, it's kind of comical. I've identified a few people that I think are good eggs, no nonsense, get things done type of people...and I avoid the rest of them.

Some people have a self inflated view of their own importance. That said, PTA's in some schools raise hundreds of thousands of dollars, and do things that benefit the entire student population. And yes, it is almost always a small group of people that are getting things done.
I thought I was going to be ripped a new one by PTA members.

I have been interested in helping at schools for 6 kids! (step, foster, mine). So much drama! What I found works best is just being real with the teacher "hey, I want to help, I have xyz time available". Then you can help without jumping through weird groups.

Also noticing when there is a need and offering to help the teacher is a good way to volunteer.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:09 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I thought I was going to be ripped a new one by PTA members.

I have been interested in helping at schools for 6 kids! (step, foster, mine). So much drama! What I found works best is just being real with the teacher "hey, I want to help, I have xyz time available". Then you can help without jumping through weird groups.

Also noticing when there is a need and offering to help the teacher is a good way to volunteer.
Yep.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:19 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
Same HighFlyingBird. I just contact the teacher directly. Our PTA / PTSA is a very "uppity" group who doesn't seem to value the input of any working parent. It's like an obsessive hobby for a few stay at home moms who think they're better than everyone else. Think Bad Moms...it's pretty accurate. They also never ask for help outside of school hours that working parents could do and schedule meetings for mid afternoon most of the time. It's frustrating and I tried to ask to move them and got nowhere.

So instead I volunteer in the classroom via the teacher directly on my lunch breaks and take days off for field trip chaperoning. I also donate a ton of supplies to the class and help the teacher with any tasks she can give me to do at home. I still send my PTA check in and donate to all the fundraisers but I've given up on being thoroughly involved in it.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:00 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote and response

I was an officer in the PTO for years. We didn't scare anyone off, and we rotated meetings from day to night so all parents could be included. If you don't like the current process, show up, put your hand up, and speak up.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 09-26-2016 at 11:36 AM..

Old 09-22-2016, 08:04 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post

Beginning of the school year, this will ease up. IMHO most of those fundraisers cost me more effort than was worthwhile. In many places, people have given up on fundraisers and just write a check.

You get nothing out of joining. Don't bother. You can attend meetings even if you don't join. Try it out and see how far you get before someone asks you for money.

This is how she controls the participation...only choosing those in the inner circle for the right things. There is usually some overbearing over-achiever who derives a strange kind of self esteem from running things their way. Their followers are like the 'Plastics' in Mean Girls. (the movie)

This helps maintain their aura of self-righteousness because they participate and are therefore superior to those who don't. And if you do go to meetings and speak up you will get shut out. Those in the clan want to protect their territory. You have new and different ideas? "We've always done it THIS way" is their mantra.

I've volunteered in a few PTAs, and I worked in several schools where it was always the same. I've seen similar behaviors in other volunteer organizations as well. My mom had similar experiences when I was a kid. Occasionally I found a way to volunteer in the school that suited me and stayed under the radar of the high command.

I'm not condemning all PTA members. Definitely not. There are lots of good people out there doing good things for their schools. But generally speaking? The politics can feel unwelcoming to newcomers.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:52 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
I tried the PTA scene & found it to be somewhat not a good fit for me. Even though I had little money & less time I did things the best way I could.

I volunteered for health screens, went on every field trip & would show up to staple papers for a teacher.

We attended & spent $ at McTeachers night, Skate City Night, School Carnival, etc ...

I just found the PTA to be a little "political". Not literally political but a political dynamic ... I knew after the 1st meeting it wasn't for me.

One thing I noticed was there is always 1 or 2 moms (always a mom in my case) who after a few years at the top of the PTA totem pole, would soon be sporting a district employee badge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting