Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 05:49 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Because if one subscribes to one or more of the following:
"Increase and multiply,"
"I'm feeling reptile urges from my amygdala,"
"Everyone who is normal ________,"
"I'm sh___ scared of growing old alone,"

... or any number of other rationalizations, even a rational trade off analysis won't stop a person from increasing and multiplying.

I encountered a word for this sort of belief system (as that's what it really is): Pro-Natalism.
..."Pro-Natalism"... That term is "my" Noun, Adjective & Verb.

From your above mentioned multiple choice; numbers 1,3 & 4 do not apply.

How much do you know about #2: The Amygdala?

This is a completley sincere query. I am an adult ASD female with 11 children. I score EXCEPTIONALLY BAD on Facial Recognition assessments. Possible factor or no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 06:04 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBeachBum View Post
The ironic part is you cant be kid free and have a productive life. Your life has no point, it can be a fun life.

I have two friends who purposely had no kids. Him and his wife are in their 50s are swingers, have a boat, go on vacation all the time, live on the water, travel.

They have no kids to worry about, no colleges to pay for, no weddings to pay for, no kids to give an inheritance to so goal is to have fun and blow all the money. It is fun, but no purpose really.
I have children, but they are not the only purpose my life has. I am an active volunteer, we host exchange students, I have a rescue dog, etc. I don't know that saving up a lot of money to pay for an extravagant wedding for your grown child is any more "productive" than anything else, to be honest. I have no idea about your friends, but most adults do give back to the community in some way whether or not they have children.

I was just discussing this with my teenager the other day. He said, "why would anyone volunteer for anything? They wouldn't get paid. I don't know anyone who volunteers." My husband and I were like . We said, what do you think Dad is doing when he spends every Sunday at your league working with kids other than you? What do you think Mom is doing when she spends hours meeting with teenagers who don't belong to us? What do you think we are doing when we have a foreign exchange student living in our house for free for an entire year??

I expect that sort of obliviousness from a 15-year-old, but not from other adults... of course people have productive lives even if they aren't centering those lives around children!

As for the OP, there's no right or wrong answer. I think that for me, it would come down to which scenario would you both be more likely to enjoy vs what you might regret. My husband and I have two teenagers, and with everything else on our plates, we do not want any more biological children. We might look into fostering teens once our two have moved out as adults. Maybe something like that would be up your alley; there's less of a time investment and less of a financial investment. But if you want children, then really, you'll make it work. They do not cost half a million dollars... that's just silliness.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:15 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBeachBum View Post
The ironic part is you cant be kid free and have a productive life. Your life has no point, it can be a fun life.

I have two friends who purposely had no kids. Him and his wife are in their 50s are swingers, have a boat, go on vacation all the time, live on the water, travel.

They have no kids to worry about, no colleges to pay for, no weddings to pay for, no kids to give an inheritance to so goal is to have fun and blow all the money. It is fun, but no purpose really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
What if they dedicated their lives to charity or some noble purpose. You would still feel that way?
Regarding the above exchange:

It is my personal opinionthat dedication to helping others would indeed "balance the scales".

Otherwise a person might become "He; who has never put another before him."

Before I get "eaten alive" by the child-free-ers here on C-D; please understand that my personal opinion comes from my personal experience.

And that personal experience is that of myself not having been "child-free" since I was 16 years old. A child myself; I suppose ...

I have a hard time conceiving what in the world that must actually BE LIKE; I still think I would be dead by now.

I absolutely would have had to have something or someone to put "before me" ...

Old 10-05-2016, 06:35 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,204 times
What do all the "I want a carefree life" people do when their parents start aging? Being a full time caretaker of someone with Alzheimer's or dementia isn't carefree at all. It's a full time job. Even without senility, an elderly parent with any kind of health issues needs help. It can be as stressful - or more stressful - than taking care of a child.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:08 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Ship em off to a retirement home of course, as they did to their parents, and they did to the great grandparents. I'm on the complete opposite end of the country. I see them maybe once every 4 years.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:17 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
But everyone doesn't live where you live! Everyone doesn't have your job! Where I live, the top school districts are EXPENSIVE. A decent house here will cost you over $500K and your annual property taxes will be well over $10K....closer to $20K. Plenty of people here are house poor.
Is this California or Hawaii? If so I can understand why it's so costly to buy a home and live there.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:04 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,473 times
Honestly I know plenty of people whose parents did the best they could, raised them til 18 and off into the world they went (my partner was 17 when he left home, he's a wonderful person and makes a good living)...
I feel that its a different standard these days and too much really- it doesn't have to be that "expensive" to raise a moral human being with an active mind who can think for them selves ...

If you want a child or two, its eminently doable ... (although I think a single is more manageable)...

Old 10-05-2016, 09:16 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Is this California or Hawaii? If so I can understand why it's so costly to buy a home and live there.
Neither one. This is Upstate New York.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:17 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
What do all the "I want a carefree life" people do when their parents start aging? Being a full time caretaker of someone with Alzheimer's or dementia isn't carefree at all. It's a full time job. Even without senility, an elderly parent with any kind of health issues needs help. It can be as stressful - or more stressful - than taking care of a child.
Put them into environment where a caretaker will be able to tend to their needs with the upmost patience, because that situation will not be at my house.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:00 AM

687 posts, read 616,755 times
Quote:
This is my worry: If I had children now, what will be like for them to take care of me or my partner when we are old, and they are still young? I am in my 30's and he is in his 40's, and we have no money and live in a tiny apartment. What could we offer a child?

I would like to be a parent - some instinctual drive - but I feel completely unworthy of it on so many levels. I am resigned to the fact that I will probably never have children, and my partner feels much the same.

I guess we will enjoy spontaneous movies and shopping or whatever until we are in a nursing home, hopefully being visited by other people's children whom choose us instead of us forcing them into our world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting