Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2016, 08:38 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
No, you didn't say that.

You said that if a child is wetting the bed after 4 or 5, there is something emotionally wrong, and with older children the cause is mostly emotional

Big difference.
if you want to nitpick and stick your head in the sand...I do think there is an emotional problem.. quite definitely.. as surely if it was a medical problem the parent would have known by that time.......are you saying that it cant be emotional caused by stress,bullying, abuse, jealousy or whatever.. This tells it outside of a child having a medical condition sadly causing this.. http://www.livestrong.com/article/97...es-bedwetting/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 08:51 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
if you want to nitpick and stick your head in the sand...I do think there is an emotional problem.. quite definitely.. as surely if it was a medical problem the parent would have known by that time.......are you saying that it cant be emotional caused by stress,bullying, abuse, jealousy or whatever.. This tells it outside of a child having a medical condition sadly causing this.. What Are the Psychological Causes of Bedwetting? | LIVESTRONG.COM
So now you're back to saying a 4 or 5 year old wetting the bed indicates an emotional problem?

The Livestrong link you just provided begins this way:

Quote:
Wetting the bed is a common condition for children under six years of age and usually is caused by physiological factors.
You're not making a whole lot of sense.

By most reputable accounts (including your links), bed wetting by an otherwise potty trained child can be due to various factors, mostly physical. Occasionally it can indicate emotional problems.

I have no idea what point you are trying to make, other than an attempt to shame parents whose child wets the bed. No idea why you would need/want to do that, or what it accomplishes

Last edited by maciesmom; 10-10-2016 at 09:02 AM..

Old 10-10-2016, 09:27 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
So now you're back to saying a 4 or 5 year old wetting the bed indicates an emotional problem?

The Livestrong link you just provided begins this way:

You're not making a whole lot of sense.

By most reputable accounts (including your links), bed wetting by an otherwise potty trained child can be due to various factors, mostly physical. Occasionally it can indicate emotional problems.

I have no idea what point you are trying to make, other than an attempt to shame parents whose child wets the bed. No idea why you would need/want to do that, or what it accomplishes
Of course IM not trying to shame anyone..Im pointing out reasons that this can happen, but Ill leave you to it now... with my last words... sometimes I feel disposable nappies caused mothers to leave their children longer in nappies or diapers. maybe it was more convenient than to try and train the child to use the toilet..they might have been guided by reading baby books or a doctor or nurse...and maybe thinking a two year old is too young to train.. it isnt.. but no one knows your child the way we do as a parent.. Im getting reps galore, just a shame others wont say what they think on this issue..

Old 10-10-2016, 09:32 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
Its a hormone thing about bedwetting - at a certain age children start producing enough of a certain hormone that suppresses urinating in the night time, and for some children they don't produce that hormone enough until after 5 or 6 or even older.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:51 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
I dont know what grade school means.. or age...but if a child is still wetting the bed after four or five theres something emotionally wrong...
That's old school thinking. Doctors now acknowledge that some kids sleep so deeply they just cannot wake up until it's too late.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:59 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
This is a great article on bed wetting:

Bed-wetting: What Causes Your Child to Wet the Bed?

It won't change the mind of anyone insisting it's due to an emotional issue, but I'm posting it for those whose kids wet the bed and may have concerns.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:03 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
A doctor doesnt live with your child.. you do..A doctor is required from medical reasons for older children bed wetting but how do they know exactly whats happening to the child at home .. Bedwetting - Causes - NHS Choices
Are doctor doesn't have to live with a child. They treat hundreds of them, and study medicine.

Quote:
Did you even read your own link?

It goes on to list (in this order)

Bladder Problems
Overproduction of urine
Not using the restroom overnight, for a variety of reasons, including deep sleep.
Other health/physical conditions
Emotional issues
Quote:
No, you didn't say that

You said that if a child is wetting the bed after 4 or 5, there is something emotionally wrong, and with older children the cause is mostly emotional

Big difference.
This

Quote:
if you want to nitpick and stick your head in the sand...I do think there is an emotional problem.. quite definitely.. as surely if it was a medical problem the parent would have known by that time.......are you saying that it cant be emotional caused by stress,bullying, abuse, jealousy or whatever.. This tells it outside of a child having a medical condition sadly causing this.. What Are the Psychological Causes of Bedwetting? | LIVESTRONG.COM
Its not nitpicking to call out what you actually said.

Quote:
Of course IM not trying to shame anyone..Im pointing out reasons that this can happen, but Ill leave you to it now... with my last words... sometimes I feel disposable nappies caused mothers to leave their children longer in nappies or diapers. maybe it was more convenient than to try and train the child to use the toilet..they might have been guided by reading baby books or a doctor or nurse...and maybe thinking a two year old is too young to train.. it isnt.. but no one knows your child the way we do as a parent.. Im getting reps galore, just a shame others wont say what they think on this issue..
There could be emotional issues, or not. That's what I said. That's not what you said. Our childrens Hospital has a whole clinic devoted to bed wetting. There is a hormone that people make that stops their bodies from having to pee so they can sleep through the night. Some kids bodies don't make it. That's not an emotional issue. How praytell would a parent know about that "already?"

Old 10-10-2016, 04:43 PM

877 posts, read 1,911,777 times
My oldest was 3.5 when he finally potty trained. I stressed about it and I planned to discuss it with his pediatrician if he was still doing it at 4. I decided not to freak out too much and then one day he basically fully potty trained himself, including overnight. He has actually never wet the bed overnight and he just turned 6.

So I'm not going to worry too much about my just turned 2 year old and potty training.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:57 PM

389 posts, read 422,032 times
We started trying to potty train my oldest when she was 2 1/2. She was so not into it. At 3 she finally could go during the day without a diaper with pee, but she still had poop accidents. So gross in panties and pull-ups! Then when she was 3 1/2 my youngest was born at 24 weeks and she spent 3 months in the NICU. My oldest completely regressed in her potty training, and we had no extra energy to deal with it. Once we got home from the NICU, it just took a week or two to get her back on track and completely off diapers.

So with my youngest I told my husband I was not even trying potty training until she said, "Mom, I want to go potty." She did that at 3 years old and she was completely potty trained in a month. Wish I would have just waited until my oldest was ready! It would have been a lot less stress!

Old 10-10-2016, 08:07 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
I dont know what grade school means.. or age...but if a child is still wetting the bed after four or five theres something emotionally wrong...
Nope. I was a bedwetter. My husband was a bedwetter. All our kids were bedwetters. All grew out of it eventually. No emotional problems. I think it at least in part is hereditary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting