U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 10:55 PM

1,178 posts, read 632,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
3 is probably a little older than the average but well within the norm.

My son's very wise preschool teacher had told me that potty training can take 6 months plus 1 week or it can take 1 week, it's the parent's choice which one. I took the lazy way out and waited for him to take the lead, which happened at 3.5. And it didn't take a week, it took a day.
He was in preschool? I'm asking, because I think children who start going in that situation aren't "ready" probably more embarrassed. I.e. If he, or another child, wasn't in preschool they'd still want to wear a diaper. I had a former coworker who's son this happened to. He was spoiled by the babysitter. When they put him in daycare, which accepted old nonpotty trained kids, he was teased by the other children for wearing a diaper. That's why I think at a certain point, maybe 2?, the parent has to take the lead. I really do think if left to their own devices some children won't potty train until they're 6 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 01:50 AM

997 posts, read 472,712 times
Kids are different. My son has a disability and he was a little late to catch on. I think he was 3 and a half. I had a younger child also who I was potty training so I think I was potty training for months before anything became of it.

With my son, he just got it one day. It was like a lightbulb moment but that was after months of training where there was no lightbulb. He was a little late but not too bad. Never again did he have an accident after that. He was ready one day. The day before that he wasn't.

My daughter was 3 or nearly 3 and she had to go to preschool and she had to be potty trained to qualify. She was almost ready so we had to fake it. She wouldn't use the toilet to 'go number 2'...She wouldn't do it so she wore a diaper at night and that is when she took care of her business.

When she was 4, I told her, "You are 4, and 4 year old's use the toilet for that. It's time." so she did.

There was nothing wrong with working together with your child and making compromises.

I used to have my kids wear no underwear or diaper at home because they would notice if they urinated. Underwear feels like a diaper to them and they were trained to use that.

I spent a long time working on the potty training. We even had a little song about it. They weren't ready until they were ready so most of that was just extra work but it was something to do together as a family.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:30 AM

659 posts, read 570,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
I think sometimes parents give the child too much leeway, though. I clicked this because I have a cousin who is a lot younger than me. She's like 7-8 now. I was an adult when she was a baby. Her mother stay at home with her and still does. She had no problem using the diaper at 3 years old and it was off putting. I called her mom (her father is my uncle) and told her "You didn't tell me she's not potty trained. I'm not changing the diaper of a kid that's almost as tall as I am". She was very shocked by this. I refused to babysit after that. Through other family members I found out, my cousin wasn't potty trained until the school told her mother she couldn't go into the prek program if she wasn't toilet trained as she wasn't special needs (she was evaluated by the school). I think they got her potty trained in like three months. I think if the mother wasn't lazy she could have been potty trained at 3 or younger. My mom worked and I was potty trained at 2 years old.

Wow, good for you that you were potty trained at 2. But your cousin not being potty trained at 3 is not an indictment of her mother. And if a 3 year old was as tall as you, then either you were a midget or your cousin is a giant...

I'm so scratching my head about refusing to babysit a 3 year old because she wasn't potty trained. Clearly they didn't need you that much since only the pre-k issue forced the timing.. I also don't know preschools that can or have the ability to evaluate a child to DECIDE if he or she was special needs.. Do you even realize that special needs isn't one identifiable disease?.. Just wow! And you do realize that pre-k is for 4 year olds not 10 year olds. My children were potty trained way before that but I wouldn't presume to ever be so judgy

Old 10-05-2016, 04:23 AM

13,653 posts, read 10,785,408 times
Mine were all potty trained before 2... If a child understands what your saying to them... its time they were done with nappies..

Old 10-05-2016, 06:10 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,217,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Age SIX? I was called a "bed wetter" at that age and went to the doctor to get the problem fixed. And yes, it worked.
Both my husband and I occasionally wet the bed until around age 12. Not frequently but we were deep sleepers. I would dream I was in the bathroom. Our son had the same problem and wore Pull-ups at night until earlier this year (age 11).

Old 10-05-2016, 06:31 AM

24,148 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Mine were all potty trained before 2... If a child understands what your saying to them... its time they were done with nappies..
What?

Old 10-05-2016, 06:39 AM

2,513 posts, read 888,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Can you explain what one has to do with the other?

Old 10-05-2016, 07:07 AM

10,027 posts, read 6,136,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
I think sometimes parents give the child too much leeway, though. I clicked this because I have a cousin who is a lot younger than me. She's like 7-8 now. I was an adult when she was a baby. Her mother stay at home with her and still does. She had no problem using the diaper at 3 years old and it was off putting. I called her mom (her father is my uncle) and told her "You didn't tell me she's not potty trained. I'm not changing the diaper of a kid that's almost as tall as I am". She was very shocked by this. I refused to babysit after that. Through other family members I found out, my cousin wasn't potty trained until the school told her mother she couldn't go into the prek program if she wasn't toilet trained as she wasn't special needs (she was evaluated by the school). I think they got her potty trained in like three months. I think if the mother wasn't lazy she could have been potty trained at 3 or younger. My mom worked and I was potty trained at 2 years old.
Were you even asked after that? If someone was so judgmental and rude about my parenting choices, struggles etc. I wouldn't even want them around.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:10 AM

3,556 posts, read 3,092,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
How common is it for 3 year olds to wear diapers?

It's uncommon. Our younger son was still wearing "pull-ups" at age 3 and didn't seem to be in any hurry to get fully potty trained. That's when I realized "pull-ups" were just a glorified diaper so we stopped putting him in them. After a couple of times wetting his pants he decided "he was ready" to go in the toilet. Problem solved the old fashioned way.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:12 AM

2,285 posts, read 1,137,875 times
To me it's as simple as this: you potty train them when you're both ready to do it. At 3 we were potty trained during the day but wore overnight diapers until closer to 4. He was a very heavy sleeper (still is) and wouldn't wake up but when he couldn't sleep he'd get up and more than once we caught him outside so we had to lock him in his room for his safety. So until we could trust him not to do that we had to use overnight diapers since there was no bathroom in his room.

Our wise preschool teacher put it like this: "Everyone eventually uses the potty. Kids don't go to college wearing diapers. Don't rush it."

On the flip side my niece was potty trained at 18 months. She hated wearing diapers and started doing it on her own so they went with it. Every child is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or