U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 07:17 AM

41,930 posts, read 48,326,704 times

Advertisements

What do you call potty trained? Not ever using a diaper or being able to control elimination?

Could my son control and tell you when he needed to go when he was 2? Yes. [My daughter just turned two and will tell you when she's going to poo. Then she hides in the pantry.]

Would he pee in a toilet or cup or any other receptacle on demand? Yes.
Would he poo in a toilet? Nope. It terrified him (I think because one time he went in the froggy potty and it was a big one and it touched him). He would tell you he was going to poo, but he insisted on doing it in a diaper. He would hide behind a curtain or under a table. Then he demanded instant change bc he hated it touching him.

He was three before he was going all night with no pull-up and pooping in the toilet.

A lot of my pediatric patients are in diapers at 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 07:37 AM

8,855 posts, read 5,987,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
More common now than it used to be, for several reasons:

Disposable diapers don't feel as uncomfortable when wet as cloth diapers.

Many toddlers are in full-time or part-time daycare. This environment makes it hard to be consistent in focusing on potty training for the couple of weeks it typically takes.

Many parents are uneasy about initiating potty training, either because they think it will be scarily difficult, that it will be useless because their child may not be "ready," or they are afraid of psychologically damaging the child.

ETA: All three of my children were trained between 2 and 2.5. I took the lead. I'm sure if I had waited for them to take the initiative, it would have been much later.
I also wonder what the role of products like "Pullups" has on the timeframe for toilet training. They're touted as "big kid panties", but the only difference between pullups and disposable diapers is the elastic waste so the kid can pull them up and down when/if he feels the urge to go. Otherwise they're the same as diapers in the sense of security coming from knowing it's always there and will soak up "accidents" if the kid doesn't ( or doesn't want to) make it to the bathroom.

IMO using pullups routinely as a substitute for underwear just in case of an accident might well postpone potty training, at least for a time.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:58 AM

3,395 posts, read 3,120,279 times
Our younger son could not be trained even at 3.5 years old. My older son came up with an idea that solved the problem. We got some fun Toy Story and Batman underwear and showed it to him. Then we showed him the diapers he would have to wear from now if he continued to have accidents. They looked like a brown paper bag. He chose the underwear and never, seriously never, had another accident.

So my older son figured this out. He just really liked the designs on the Pull-ups.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:33 AM

10,027 posts, read 6,136,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
It's uncommon. Our younger son was still wearing "pull-ups" at age 3 and didn't seem to be in any hurry to get fully potty trained. That's when I realized "pull-ups" were just a glorified diaper so we stopped putting him in them. After a couple of times wetting his pants he decided "he was ready" to go in the toilet. Problem solved the old fashioned way.
This is *one* child. I knew tons of kids still in diapers at 3. When my son wasnt trained at 3, I asked his pediatrician and she said he was totally normal and its not really even on her radar until age 4. By 4 he was trained.

Pull-ups are just diapers, I agree with that. I wouldn't call them glorified, though.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:45 AM
Status: "The list doesn’t destroy culture; it creates it" (set 26 days ago)

17,475 posts, read 9,043,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
He was in preschool? I'm asking, because I think children who start going in that situation aren't "ready" probably more embarrassed. I.e. If he, or another child, wasn't in preschool they'd still want to wear a diaper. I had a former coworker who's son this happened to. He was spoiled by the babysitter. When they put him in daycare, which accepted old nonpotty trained kids, he was teased by the other children for wearing a diaper. That's why I think at a certain point, maybe 2?, the parent has to take the lead. I really do think if left to their own devices some children won't potty train until they're 6 years old.
He was in a preschool classroom in a daycare center. So unlike a stand alone preschool, they did not have a requirement for 3 year olds to be trained. But I didn't see any signs that peer pressure had any effect on him or any of the other kids. They offered all the kids time throughout the day to use the toilets but if they weren't interested, they didn't push it.

In any case, I'm very happy that I didn't try to take the lead and force anything. This was an easy and painfree way to get the job done and with a now 12 year old, I don't think the timing of when he was potty trained is terribly relevant. The only times I even think about it is when the question happens to come up with a parent of a younger child and I share my story as one data point that things can work out just fine even if a parent chooses not to force the issue at age 2.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:26 AM

2,813 posts, read 1,315,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Were you even asked after that? If someone was so judgmental and rude about my parenting choices, struggles etc. I wouldn't even want them around.
Preach sister!

Old 10-05-2016, 01:15 PM

81 posts, read 91,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Not true re day care. They help potry train. If anything, it is more consistent than a home environment.
Very true with our experience. The consistency at the daycare and seeing all his other friends went in the potty really help my son potty trained (day time - he wore night time diapers for about 1+ year after that). To move up to the 3+ yr old class, the kids have to be in underwear, they don't do diaper anymore in that class.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:44 PM

1,178 posts, read 632,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCUE View Post
Wow, good for you that you were potty trained at 2. But your cousin not being potty trained at 3 is not an indictment of her mother. And if a 3 year old was as tall as you, then either you were a midget or your cousin is a giant...

I'm so scratching my head about refusing to babysit a 3 year old because she wasn't potty trained. Clearly they didn't need you that much since only the pre-k issue forced the timing.. I also don't know preschools that can or have the ability to evaluate a child to DECIDE if he or she was special needs.. Do you even realize that special needs isn't one identifiable disease?.. Just wow! And you do realize that pre-k is for 4 year olds not 10 year olds. My children were potty trained way before that but I wouldn't presume to ever be so judgy
Yes, it was. They were a lot of other things going on that showed me she was lazy. I find it funny potty training wasn't happening until she could haul her off to free school all day. In NJ, preschool is in in public schools for four years old. Really, she was like 4 1/2. She was evaluated because the school told her and my uncle they won't children who aren't special needs who aren't potty. While preschool is free and in public schools, it's not legally required. Neither is in kindergarten in NJ. Besides for not being potty trained, she didn't know any letters or how to count. My uncle's wife probably felt stupid and would rather have her tested than admit she was so far behind because she never did any thing with her. My mom watched her a little bit before she started preschool, hence why I know these things (such as the paper work they felt out and what the clerical of the school told them regarding potty training), and said she used very babyish language. At that time, it was almost two years since I last interacted with her.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:48 PM

This is a stock photo I found online, but there is a better good guide of how big she was compared to me. I felt too big too in a diaper.

http://www.todaysparent.com/wp-conte...erLeash660.jpg

Old 10-05-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Were you even asked after that? If someone was so judgmental and rude about my parenting choices, struggles etc. I wouldn't even want them around.
No, because I gave my uncle's wife the what for when she came back and told her "Her diaper is full off pee and poop. That's not my problem".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or