U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 02:04 PM

5,628 posts, read 4,403,140 times

Advertisements

The boy i nanny is 3 ( as of March) and he is just now learning.

My kids, i dont remember but i want to say 3-4 is when they learned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 02:19 PM

8,443 posts, read 4,508,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
More common now than it used to be, for several reasons:

Disposable diapers don't feel as uncomfortable when wet as cloth diapers
I used to think the same thing, but it really didn't play out that way with my 3. My older two were in cloth diapers from birth to potty, using old-school cotton or hemp prefolds (a lot of cloth diapers now use stay-dry fabrics, but they were more expensive when mine were babies, and did not fit our budget). So, feeling wet fabric did not phase them in the slightest. My youngest was in disposable diapers, until I started putting him in underwear, and he actually trained pretty quickly because he wasn't used that uncomfortable feeling of wet fabric. The kicker: they all trained at pretty the same age, which was between 3.5 and not quite 4 (the disposable-diapered kid trained the soonest).

Old 10-05-2016, 02:28 PM

19,190 posts, read 13,501,923 times
Quote:
More common now than it used to be, for several reasons:

Disposable diapers don't feel as uncomfortable when wet as cloth diapers.

Many toddlers are in full-time or part-time daycare. This environment makes it hard to be consistent in focusing on potty training for the couple of weeks it typically takes.

Many parents are uneasy about initiating potty training, either because they think it will be scarily difficult, that it will be useless because their child may not be "ready," or they are afraid of psychologically damaging the child.

ETA: All three of my children were trained between 2 and 2.5. I took the lead. I'm sure if I had waited for them to take the initiative, it would have been much later.
This ^^^! My older son was toilet trained at 26 months. A concentrated effort over a couple of weeks. Terry cloth training pants and he didn't like wet socks! Number 2? He learned to rinse them out.

We have a son with Down syndrome. He was fully toilet trained by 6 years old, homeschooled that year.

I have found that the easiest path is usually not the best.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:42 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,393,708 times
Pretty common for boys. My son wasn't fully trained until almost 4 and there were several preschool classmates who were his age and still wore diapers even past 4.

People stress WAY too much over potty training. The kid isn't going to go to college wearing diapers. If anything, peer pressure will cause the kid to get trained.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:46 PM

5,112 posts, read 3,012,877 times
Well, I looked at it this way:

Start at 2-ish and spend a focused two weeks on potty training, then kick back; or

Wait till "they're ready" and spend 1-2 more years buying and changing diapers.

Either option could be seen as lazy or easier than the other. I chose the first. That was me. Other parents can do what they like.

Last edited by saibot; 10-05-2016 at 02:54 PM..

Old 10-05-2016, 02:57 PM

10,027 posts, read 6,143,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
No, because I gave my uncle's wife the what for when she came back and told her "Her diaper is full off pee and poop. That's not my problem".
I didn't think they would want much to do with you with your attitude. Pretty obvious you don't have kids.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:26 PM

9,677 posts, read 8,849,034 times
My eldest daughter was in an in-home daycare and the caregiver was old school. She picked up that my daughter was indeed ready to toilet train but was being lazy about it. After all, why stop playing when you can pee in a diaper and someone will clean it up? At about 2.5 years she started to train her by putting her on the potty daily every 20 minutes. She asked us to no longer buy diapers and instead switch to pull ups. Since we were new parents, she gave us guidance as to what to do on our end so that we were all in sync. It only took a week of pull ups before the caregiver said that our daughter was ready for underwear. I remember buying her a three pack of Dora panties and she felt so proud of herself. So she was day - trained at 2.5 years old and never really had any regression after that. she was night trained closer to 4. I found pullups to be useful then.

Our youngest daughter was different. She wasn't in daycare, so we had to take the lead on that one. I don't know when to start or really what to do but at around 2.5 years we decided to buy a froggy potty and encouraged her to try it out. My inlaws were also introducing the potty to her as well. I waited until about 20 minutes after drinking to put her on the pot and gave her toys and distractions. I distinctly remember telling her "pee pee goes in potty" and making a song out of it..(ugh)... My first experiment putting her in a pullup ended in a wet floor. In fact, there would be many tagged floors but we kept at it with the result being that she peed in the potty on her own. I was very ecstatic.

There was a period of regression. She still had accidents past her third birthday and we had to keep her in pullups. There was no turning back to diapers though - she howled like a banshee when someone put her in one after an accident. What truly trained her was the trip to Disney Land with our good friends whose daughter was totally trained. That encouraged her and the accidents stopped immediately. So, she was reliably trained at 3 years, 3 months.

My thoughts are this - while yes, we should look for cues from the child, parents should take the lead albeit gently...as we would introducing any new concept. my oldest daughter *was* being lazy about it and would happily have people wiping her bum for quite some time. I only have experience with girls, but I think 2.5 is the "sweet spot" when it comes to introducing toilet training.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:27 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,393,708 times
Quote:

Start at 2-ish and spend a focused two weeks on potty training, then kick back; or

Either option could be seen as lazy or easier than the other. I chose the first. That was me. Other parents can do what they like.
If they're not ready, you can never really "kick back." You'll still experience "accidents."

And 86ing the diapers isn't all it's cracked up to be. If you're out running errands with your kid, it is SO much easier having them in diapers than to hear their sudden, urgent cry of "I HAVE TO GO POTTY!!!" And you need to find a bathroom pretty damn quickly. And often it's gross. And the kid insists on putting his hands all over the toilet. I'll take changing a diaper over that anytime.

I am SO SO glad I never have to worry about this issue again. My youngest child is 7, so that's way back in the rear view mirror.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:44 PM

5,112 posts, read 3,012,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
And 86ing the diapers isn't all it's cracked up to be. If you're out running errands with your kid, it is SO much easier having them in diapers than to hear their sudden, urgent cry of "I HAVE TO GO POTTY!!!"
Oh, I don't know about that. I don't recall any public accidents or very much of a frantic rush for the potty. Anywhere we were (grocery store, library, park) there was almost always a toilet nearby. For that matter, it's sometimes easier to find a toilet than a clean, isolated spot for changing a diaper. Sometimes those diapers leak and then you need to change the child's clothes, too. Maybe I was not the most organized mom in the world but there were moments when I realized I'd forgotten to restock my bag with diapers or wipes, and now what was I going to do. Go straight home, rush to buy more diapers, let them sit in a dirty diaper until we got home...?? I think it's about six of one and half a dozen of the other, when out in public.

Quote:
I am SO SO glad I never have to worry about this issue again. My youngest child is 7, so that's way back in the rear view mirror.
Yeah, me neither. My youngest is 11.

Last edited by saibot; 10-05-2016 at 03:58 PM..

Old 10-05-2016, 05:31 PM

24,150 posts, read 27,949,007 times
Quote:

IME, it isn't that simple. One of mine has some mild special needs which were not known at the time. It took a long time to get him fully trained. He was 3-3.5 The second kid had a deadline - preschool starting. Guess what? He wasn't ready. When he was, it happened overnight. I firmly believe that there is nothing I could have done to speed either of them along, so people who think it is just a matter of working harder at it at age 2, are wrong IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or