Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 03:27 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,547,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hey, if someone names a game after a sexual act, it's not my mind in the gutter that's at fault. I first heard the term in the 70s, so it's not something new. To see it referenced on a thread about a kid's party was a bit disconcerting.

We used to play something like this, but I think it was called a bean bag toss or something. Your link was interesting. There are tournaments and everything, which I didn't realize.

Anyway, good game for the OP's party. Carry on.
I can honestly say I've never heard that phrase used in the context you're referring to, before reading your post.

It's always been a game here in the Chicago area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 04:36 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,854,088 times
Ghost stories around the campfire are always fun for school-age kids and adults. Stay away from the horror and go with traditional folktales and mildly scary stories that have a funny/corny twist at the end - "Ruby Lips and Long Fingernails", "Two Siamese Cats Playing with a Tomato" (that's the punch line, do NOT introduce it by this name!), "(W)Rapping Paper", "The Big Toe", etc.

Your local children's librarian can probably recommend a good local professional storyteller whose fee is reasonable, if you need a referral. The librarian can also help you find craft books and suggest additional activities.

Costume contests are also fun. Plan on awarding simple prizes to all the kids - funniest, scariest, most colorful, and so on. You can print out certificates and fill in the adjectives. A costume parade can be a good party starter, before sunset ideally. Walk up and down the street or around the block, with adequate adult supervision.

Have a broomstick relay race - kids either carry or straddle a small broom.

Make witch's hats out of black construction paper or poster board.

For older kids, charades are great fun...tried and true, stood-the-test-of time party game.

Drop the candy corn in the bottle is another simple game that is almost cost-free. Pin the hat on the witch, or the grin on the Jack-o-lantern, is also tried and true.

Little kids can use white paper towels to make "ghosts" for decoration. Have an adult assist with adding eyes and mouths - use a black felt-tip that is NOT permanent. Thread a string through the center and hang them all around, inside or outdoors on the shrubbery if the weather is dry, or the kids can take them home for party favors.

Make masks out of paper plates - check this out ahead of time to get some good ideas.

Stay away from plugged-in, big or little screen entertainment as much as possible, and go for live-action, hands-on, participatory activities. The kids will remember such an evening far longer, as it will be a welcome novelty for many of them, sadly.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:37 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,854,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I can honestly say I've never heard that phrase used in the context you're referring to, before reading your post.

Ditto central Kentucky, where it's very popular and has been for at least ten years.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:48 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times
Quote:

I heard MightyQueen801's term as a kid (teen) back in W. PA. I never heard of the game of the same name until very recently here in CO.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I heard MightyQueen801's term as a kid (teen) back in W. PA. I never heard of the game of the same name until very recently here in CO.
Either CraigCreek and I lived sheltered lives (hard to do, growing up in Chicago), or it's a regional thing.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:13 AM

4,039 posts, read 4,934,360 times
Quote:
Either CraigCreek and I lived sheltered lives (hard to do, growing up in Chicago), or it's a regional thing.
It's a regional thing for the most part. I grew up in IN and I knew what it was in fact I've played it numerous times.

We were on a cruise last year and they had cornhole. We met some people from IN (we live in NC now)and we all played a few games. My son loved it and played it often on the cruise.

OP - Have you decided on anything for the party?

Old 10-19-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
It's a regional thing for the most part. I grew up in IN and I knew what it was in fact I've played it numerous times.

We were on a cruise last year and they had cornhole. We met some people from IN (we live in NC now)and we all played a few games. My son loved it and played it often on the cruise.

OP - Have you decided on anything for the party?

No, I meant what Mightyqueen said must be a regional thing, not the fact that it's a game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting