Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 05:15 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times

Advertisements

I totally agree with the article. I was the only girl in my family. My earliest memories revolve around my young brothers. I would get diapers when my mother changed the baby, sweep, do dishes, cook, clean, etc. Meanwhile, my brothers had virtually no chores. Oh sure, occasionally they'd mow the lawn. Big deal. We'd go on camping trips and my brothers would be on the boat or fishing and I'd have to leave early (if I got to go at all) because I had to set up for dinner and cleaning the fish. And cleaning afterwards. You get the picture.

What was my brother doing while I was stuck home doing chores? He was out hanging with this friends, following my father to worksites where, you know, he learned actual skills and, yeah, he did make contacts that served him later when he was looking for a job.

And I do think that by conditioning girls to do things like cook/clean/caregive, you are potentially programming them to go into low-paying jobs.

Boys and girls should split chores evenly.

I have raised three sons (no daughters). Each one knows how to do laundry, cook, plan meals, change tires, cut grass, etc.

Last edited by bande1102; 10-15-2016 at 06:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 05:47 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
Well, if you can't recognize that there are differences between males and females well beyond their "genitals", then you'll never understand it.

This whole article is rather silly. The fact is, believe it or not, boys and girls are different. They have different strengths and weaknesses. It's only natural (and logical) that girls would be given chores that require nurturing(caregiving) and attention to detail(cooking, cleaning) because that's where their strengths lie, and that boys would be given chores where physical strength is demanded. There's no reason to assume that any of these skills are more/less valuable with regard to making money for a family. All of those skills are valuable in a free market economy.

Personally, I would give all of my children an equal amount of responsibility, but I wouldn't expect my daughter to chop wood or fix the tractor.
Oh brother...what a load of .

I raised 3 sons. I taught them to clean their own bathroom from very early on. If they could sprinkle, they could clean. They had to vacuum their own rooms and the family room starting when they were about 3. They had a battery operated hand held that they used first, until they could handle the upright. They started cooking with me very early as well, and by the time they were in 4th or 5th grade, they could each cook simple things. In high school, they could make much more complex meals. They are now grown adults, and they LOVE to cook, which their girlfriends really appreciate. Their girlfriends also appreciate how they know to clean their apartments!

I, meanwhile, have always (both as a little girl and now) prefer the outside chores. I'd much rather mow the lawn, shovel snow, build a fence, and paint than vacuum, cook, or sew. I like to trim trees, cut wood, and fix things. I have changed my own tires, replaced head and taillights, and fixed other things on my vehicle. I change my lawnmower's oil and have replaced the shear pins in my snowblower.

Even if you don't expect your daughters to do those things, please at least SHOW them how. You never know if they might LIKE to do those things.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:45 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Well, if you can't recognize that there are differences between males and females well beyond their "genitals", then you'll never understand it.

This whole article is rather silly. The fact is, believe it or not, boys and girls are different. They have different strengths and weaknesses. It's only natural (and logical) that girls would be given chores that require nurturing(caregiving) and attention to detail(cooking, cleaning) because that's where their strengths lie, and that boys would be given chores where physical strength is demanded. There's no reason to assume that any of these skills are more/less valuable with regard to making money for a family. All of those skills are valuable in a free market economy.

Personally, I would give all of my children an equal amount of responsibility, but I wouldn't expect my daughter to chop wood or fix the tractor.
I have a neighbor that waitresses in a trendy upscale restaurant. The owner kept hiring busboys and the waitresses would complain that nothing would get done, tables were dirty, etc. She finally convinced the owner to hire girls. Presto, tables were cleaned, set, etc.

The girls *knew* what to do and understood that they needed to keep things moving. The boys had never done *kitchen work* at home, so had no idea why they needed to be doing the things they were supposed to do.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:17 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
I think from an early age, children should be encouraged to do both inside and outside chores. As time goes on, each child will enjoy doing certain chores more than others.

I helped shovel/mow the lawn outside, I did dishes and cleaned inside.

Today I'd FAR rather be doing inside chores than outside chores, where another woman might be the opposite. It just kind of happens, like you are drawn to one subject at school or one line of work and not another.

To each their own. You just hope there is a happy medium when you have a few kids to do the chores= some inside, some outside

Old 10-14-2016, 07:17 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
How is it that men ever become surgeons or engineers? You know, with all the attention to detail required.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:21 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
How is it that men ever become surgeons or engineers? You know, with all the attention to detail required.
Right??

Old 10-14-2016, 08:18 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,491,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Instead of assuming that *all* girls and boys must by nature fit into gender stereotypes, why not assign chores equitably but with an eye to each child's strengths? Your daughter might be more outdoorsy and athletic and your son might be more interested in cooking (until fairly recently, great chefs have traditionally been men). Conversely, the argument can also be made that it might be of benefit to learn to be comfortable doing those chores which don't come naturally or one finds less interesting. Just because you find it tedious, doesn't mean it's not important to learn.
At no point did I assume all boys and girls fit into any "stereotype". I do think both sexes have inherent strengths, and it's foolish to ignore that reality. That girls would be given a greater number of household chores is only natural. You may find it perfectly acceptable to raise your sons to be house-husbands, but I don't. I think it's a good idea for everyone to be well-rounded, but primarily my sons are going to be raised and taught to be men. Their role will be to support and protect their family, not to change diapers or cook and clean.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:27 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,491,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I have a neighbor that waitresses in a trendy upscale restaurant. The owner kept hiring busboys and the waitresses would complain that nothing would get done, tables were dirty, etc. She finally convinced the owner to hire girls. Presto, tables were cleaned, set, etc.

The girls *knew* what to do and understood that they needed to keep things moving. The boys had never done *kitchen work* at home, so had no idea why they needed to be doing the things they were supposed to do.
Precisely my point. Despite identical training, the boys could not perform nearly as well as the girls, who instinctively knew what to do. And if you were to hire girls in a mechanic's shop, you would have the exact same problem.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Precisely my point. Despite identical training, the boys could not perform nearly as well as the girls, who instinctively knew what to do. And if you were to hire girls in a mechanic's shop, you would have the exact same problem.
Oh I have no doubt the boys were perfectly capable of menial chores like bussing tables. They either didn't know what to do because they hadn't been taught or expected to do it, or they figured if they did a poor job, a woman (who knew what to do because she had been taught/expected to do it, not because she was born with the cleaning gene) would come and do it right, thus getting themselves out of the dirty work. Not a very admirable quality.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
At no point did I assume all boys and girls fit into any "stereotype". I do think both sexes have inherent strengths, and it's foolish to ignore that reality. That girls would be given a greater number of household chores is only natural. You may find it perfectly acceptable to raise your sons to be house-husbands, but I don't. I think it's a good idea for everyone to be well-rounded, but primarily my sons are going to be raised and taught to be men. Their role will be to support and protect their family, not to change diapers or cook and clean.

Fortunately, I didn't raise either of my children to be house-anythings. I did raise them to be capable partners. My daughter and son are perfectly capable of changing a diaper as well as changing a tire. My military officer father changed his share of diapers on his children and grandchildren. As did my husband. My father and husband and son are very nurturing. They are also well versed in bathroom cleaning duties. My daughter was expected to mow the lawn and shovel snow right alongside her brother, and she absolutely helps support her family in more ways than just cooking and cleaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting