Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 09:58 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
If your daughter has children in diapers, she ought to be at home caring for them, not at work.
I would argue that no one should regularly be working 70 hours a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 10:28 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,491,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I would argue that no one should regularly be working 70 hours a week.
We don't disagree on that, but again, that's not reality. Sometimes that's what it takes. My point was only that if your daughter has children in diapers, she should be at home caring for them. And her husband ought to be working enough hours to support them. If that's 70 hours per week, so be it. That's his responsibility as a husband and father. But I don't think it's fair to expect him to come home and clean the bathroom and change diapers.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:29 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Quote:
How is it that men ever become surgeons or engineers? You know, with all the attention to detail required.
Probably the money and status are a good incentive to overcoming their "handicap".

Old 10-14-2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
We don't disagree on that, but again, that's not reality. Sometimes that's what it takes. My point was only that if your daughter has children in diapers, she should be at home caring for them. And her husband ought to be working enough hours to support them. If that's 70 hours per week, so be it. That's his responsibility as a husband and father. But I don't think it's fair to expect him to come home and clean the bathroom and change diapers.
Interestingly this discussion came up many years ago when I was pregnant with my second child. Someone was saying he worked 3 jobs so his wife could stay home with their children. I wondered aloud back to him, how healthy he thought it was that his child never received the benefit of his time or attention, or the benefit of seeing his parents work together, or spend time together as a family. All the child would know of his father was the man who was always at work or sleeping and his mother as virtually a single parent. It made me sad to think a child was missing out on such important relationships. You see I value fathers. I see them as more than just a paycheck.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:18 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,491,048 times
Quote:
Interestingly this discussion came up many years ago when I was pregnant with my second child. Someone was saying he worked 3 jobs so his wife could stay home with their children. I wondered aloud back to him, how healthy he thought it was that his child never received the benefit of his time or attention, or the benefit of seeing his parents work together, or spend time together as a family. All the child would know of his father was the man who was always at work or sleeping and his mother as virtually a single parent. It made me sad to think a child was missing out on such important relationships.
You and I may just have fundamentally different perspectives. I would be proud to say that my father worked 3 jobs to provide a better life for his family and give his wife the opportunity to stay home and raise their children. In a perfect world that wouldn't be necessary, and he could give his children all of the time and attention they want, but that's not the world we live in. I still think that's better than putting the children in daycare and having mom work 40 hours a week.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
You and I may just have fundamentally different perspectives. I would be proud to say that my father worked 3 jobs to provide a better life for his family and give his wife the opportunity to stay home and raise their children. In a perfect world that wouldn't be necessary, and he could give his children all of the time and attention they want, but that's not the world we live in. I still think that's better than putting the children in daycare and having mom work 40 hours a week.
So it's preferable to have a child who virtually never sees his dad? You keep saying you would never teach your son to (whatever chore you deem too feminine). It seems to me, in the scenario you give, you wouldn't, in fact, be teaching your son anything. You wouldn't be around to do so. He'd need to look to other men to be his role models and to discuss his questions about life with. You know, one who's around. Or maybe even a woman.

It is pretty well documented that children with uninvolved/absent parents suffer.

Old 10-15-2016, 04:13 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
If your daughter has children in diapers, she ought to be at home caring for them, not at work.
Those children also have a father if no one's told you where babies come from. If both parents work outside the home, both parents need to share the childcare. Due to our nation's current economic situation and the expectations people have for how they want to live today, few families can function on a single income.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:02 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,329 times
How about we just teach kids to be effective at life regardless of gender

Old 10-15-2016, 05:52 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Well, if you can't recognize that there are differences between males and females well beyond their "genitals", then you'll never understand it.

This whole article is rather silly. The fact is, believe it or not, boys and girls are different. They have different strengths and weaknesses. It's only natural (and logical) that girls would be given chores that require nurturing(caregiving) and attention to detail(cooking, cleaning) because that's where their strengths lie, and that boys would be given chores where physical strength is demanded. There's no reason to assume that any of these skills are more/less valuable with regard to making money for a family. All of those skills are valuable in a free market economy.

Personally, I would give all of my children an equal amount of responsibility, but I wouldn't expect my daughter to chop wood or fix the tractor.
If you had a daughter like mine who has been writing code and building robots since was 8 years old, would you have her fix the tractor or make her do the cooking?

Old 10-15-2016, 06:09 AM

808 posts, read 710,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
How about we just teach kids to be effective at life regardless of gender
I agree.

And then there's this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by the article
Every hour a girl spends on chores is an hour she can't spend making friends, doing schoolwork, or playing.
True, but every hour a boy spends on chores is also an hour he can't spend making friends, doing homework, or playing.

Kids should be given equal amounts of responsibility, regardless of gender. If we're not giving our sons a free ride, why give our daughters a free ride?

Last edited by Cheesehead92; 10-15-2016 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: rm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting