Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 09:31 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
My moms coworker is having a baby. She's unmarried and works as a secretary. Probably makes 30k tops. While she is a bit older than me,28, it's not exactly the end of child bearing years. My mom is saying the Secretary is very happy about having a child. How?
EASY...it's called LOVE!!!

Old 10-24-2016, 11:07 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Who has said this?

If you are referring to me, I was teased and bullied at school because I did not have those things. Made my formative years a living hell. These things are important to kids - and if you do not have them, there will be hell to pay.
I am sorry you went through that! I agree it is hard for kids who don't have certain things. When I was younger I toyed with the idea of becoming a single mother on my own because I still hadn't met the right man. I decided not to ultimately, because I knew I could only pay the bills and not much else. I didn't want to have to tell my child "no, we can't buy you new clothes for school this year" or "no, I can't afford gym shoes for your PE class" or "no, you can't play soccer".
I knew a guy in college who grew up very poor. He wanted to play football in high school and the coach encouraged him to, but his parents said no, we can't afford the uniform. They also wanted him to drop out of high school and get a factory job. That's not how I want to raise my kids.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:09 PM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I think that these two posters are comparing apples and oranges, probably because of growing up or raising their kids in different time periods and different communities.

There is a huge difference between not buying your child designer shirts & jeans and your child having to wear hand-me-down old, worn out & patched clothes every day.

And, as mochamajesty stated if you could afford "Travel, concerts, music lessons, sports" or even only one of those things then you are not really "low income".

I had a very happy childhood, we never realized that we were somewhat poor because most of our neighbors and friends were somewhat poor, too. But, even I remember a few things that would probably shock a few readers. The very first time that I ever had a meal in restaurant or diner was when I was 12 years old and it was because a friend was celebrating her birthday with her family and invited me to come. Yes, 12 years old. And, the next time wasn't until sometime after I was at least 16, and was working making my own money. We had plenty of food at home, as we lived on a farm, had cows & chickens, fruit trees & a vegetable garden but we certainly did not have money (or time) to waste by going out to eat.

Hmmm, how many 16 year olds have only had one restaurant, diner, fast food meal in their entire lives? Today, many families have at least one a week, if not multiple times a week. And, I am not an elderly person who remembers the depression or the austerity after WW II, I am only 64 years old.
We went a little more than that, because we went to this restaurant about half an hour away every year for my grandmother's birthday. I was so excited because they had this wonderful food that my mother never made at home. It was called "Chicken in a basket", and it was fried chicken and french fries served in an actual basket. I thought it was heavenly.

But I was one of seven kids and my parents grew up in the depression. They didn't waste money on buying food outside of the home. Even when we went on vacation, we had a cottage that had a kitchen and my mother made our food. That was the only time we went out to eat during the year.

As a matter of fact, I remember some embarrassing moments. One was when I was sleeping over a friend's house, and they took me to dinner at a Chinese place. I was around 8 or 9. They asked if I liked Chinese food, and I said I didn't know because I'd never had it. Well, you would have thought I came from another planet by the reaction of the parents.

Then another time, I was a girl scout, again, around 9 or 10, and all the town troops were doing some activity and going for pizza afterward. Everyone was excited, and I pretended to be, too, but in reality, I had never had pizza and had no idea what it tasted like. By then I had figured out that my family was weird and not the same as the other people I knew, lol, and I learned how to lie and pretend I was normal. And I have loved pizza since that day.

Some of my parents' weirdness I am grateful for now. For example, we rarely went to a movie and we weren't allowed to watch much TV when I was a child. When other kids talked about shows that were popular like Bewitched, I had no idea what they were talking about. I saw those shows much later, in reruns. The younger kids in the family watched Disney on Sunday night, and my older brother and two sisters got to stay up for Bonanza. But the TV was not on every night. And oh, we were the last family on the planet to have a black-and-white television. It still worked, so there was no reason to buy a new one. I was a senior in high school, I think, before we got a color TV. That was 1975 or 76. And my parents didn't get a dishwasher until I was an adult. They didn't need one. They had us.

So...we played cards and board games, and we played outside, and I read every book I could get my hands on. To this day a week might go by before I put the television on. I'm glad I was raised with very little of it.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-24-2016 at 08:17 PM..

Old 10-25-2016, 08:28 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
So...we played cards and board games, and we played outside, and I read every book I could get my hands on. To this day a week might go by before I put the television on. I'm glad I was raised with very little of it.
That's nothing to brag about. I grew up with TV/ I watched a ton of shows regularly. When I went to college, I simply didn't have time to watch any tv shows (and didn't have tv in my room - no space) and haven't gotten back to watching tv after graduation. I don't even have netflix/hulu/amazon prime/etc.

I also haven't gone to a movie theater in 4 years. I use to go to the movies once a week.

Find something else to be proud of.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:33 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
That's nothing to brag about. I grew up with TV/ I watched a ton of shows regularly. When I went to college, I simply didn't have time to watch any tv shows (and didn't have tv in my room - no space) and haven't gotten back to watching tv after graduation. I don't even have netflix/hulu/amazon prime/etc.

I also haven't gone to a movie theater in 4 years. I use to go to the movies once a week.

You know what?

You come here humblebragging about your salary, whining about your alma mater and sticking your nose in the air. You are clearly unhappy and have nothing better to do than post online to strangers looking for kudos. And you have the gall to judge and disrespect grown adults, who have worked, saved and raised children the best they could.

Stop. Just stop.

Grow up, get a life.

Stop complaining and whining and judging and actually live.

Come back in 20 years and tell us how things went.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:

She is a gifted writer. She has a great sense of humor. She is a knowledgeable history buff. She is a 9/11 survivor.

There. That was easy.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:41 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
+1 maciesmom.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:46 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Stella, a lot of us have a lot to be proud of. We have long marriages, great kids, homes we work hard to maintain. We have friends. We have relationships. We have wisdom that only comes from experience. But, hey, you've had a job for a whole year, so...

Old 10-25-2016, 08:57 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You know what?

You come here humblebragging about your salary, whining about your alma mater and sticking your nose in the air. You are clearly unhappy and have nothing better to do than post online to strangers looking for kudos. And you have the gall to judge and disrespect grown adults, who have worked, saved and raised children the best they could.

Stop. Just stop.

Grow up, get a life.

Stop complaining and whining and judging and actually live.

Come back in 20 years and tell us how things went.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
She is a gifted writer. She has a great sense of humor. She is a knowledgeable history buff. She is a 9/11 survivor.

There. That was easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Stella, a lot of us have a lot to be proud of. We have long marriages, great kids, homes we work hard to maintain. We have friends. We have relationships. We have wisdom that only comes from experience. But, hey, you've had a job for a whole year, so...
Thank you all.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:36 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times
Quote:
the situation perplexes me. How can one feel happy knowing their kid is being born in such a disadvantaged situation?
I am a low income single mom of two kids.

I can assure you my kids have never gone without, and they have no idea they are poor. Honestly I think in many ways they have more than kids raised in two parent households.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting