Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 11:22 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't want either of those. I'm pretty liberal with nudity (hell I'm possibly doing a nude photo shoot one of these days) but artistic nudity isn't the same as stripping as 99% of the people at a strip club are not respectful at all, and prostitution is worse as I'd wonder how much I could have effed up where I raised a daughter who thought she needed to sell her body for money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 11:30 PM

3,247 posts, read 2,333,796 times
I would assume they had a drug habit and try to get her help.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:48 AM

997 posts, read 936,291 times
I can't even imagine that because my real daughter would never do that and I never had a hypothetical daughter. I am sure she would be very different and there would have red flags along the way.

It would really depend on the person and the reason. I worked with a lady who also worked as a stripper. She left to do that but she would come back and work sometimes. She was a good worker but the stripping paid. I know she was not a drug user. She did it for the money and I think she liked it. She wanted to buy a house. That is probably not typical but if she were my daughter I would support her. She was making choices for herself that I wouldn't make but that do make sense. I would not like it myself but people are more flexible about these things then I am. Everybody has their own moral compass.

I also knew a Madame who worked in Nevada. I think she was a prostitute first. She was really nice and there was nothing low class about that lady. I completely respect her.

Hypothetically it would depend on the circumstances and the daughter and her well being. Adult children are adults and they can do whatever they want as long as it is legal and they can do that too.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:22 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Oh please. There are worse things that somebody can do.

I'd feel worse if my adult kid grew up to become a thief, rapist, child molestor, drug dealer, etc. etc.
This. The parents are taking this way too personally. Daughters are making the conscious decision to earn more money in the sex trade than they could being baristas at Starbucks. I find it interesting that posters are denouncing women for becoming strippers/prostitutes to earn a decent living for themselves, and on various other threads, saying that they "didn't plan enough" and thus it's their own fault they are stuck in low paying regular jobs. I'm not speaking of any poster in particular; it's just a general observation. These women can't win for losing, it seems. Not everyone has the means to go to school for a million years hoping they will eventually earn a high income, especially if you throw an unplanned pregnancy or two into the mix.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:10 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
This. The parents are taking this way too personally. Daughters are making the conscious decision to earn more money in the sex trade than they could being baristas at Starbucks. I find it interesting that posters are denouncing women for becoming strippers/prostitutes to earn a decent living for themselves, and on various other threads, saying that they "didn't plan enough" and thus it's their own fault they are stuck in low paying regular jobs. I'm not speaking of any poster in particular; it's just a general observation. These women can't win for losing, it seems. Not everyone has the means to go to school for a million years hoping they will eventually earn a high income, especially if you throw an unplanned pregnancy or two into the mix.
The fact that it may make you more money than some other jobs doesn't mean you should do it. Personally, I find selling your body in any way disgusting. I think it's trashy and dehumanizing and I don't think it helps misogyny and attitudes that regard women as sex objects who are liked and used for their bodies. I also think men strippers are gross. I just personally generally don't like the idea of it.

And in many cases the sex industry is a risky and dangerous business, especially prostitution. IMO it would be reckless for a mother, for example, to resort to stripping or prostitution given how many of these women are treated. I'm sure it works just fine for some people but I doubt they're the majority. Women who turn to the sex industry often have histories of abuse and poverty and lack of education. IMO it's very sad and not much to be proud of or aspire to.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:48 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I think it's trashy and dehumanizing and I don't think it helps misogyny and attitudes that regard women as sex objects who are liked and used for their bodies. I also think men strippers are gross.
So female strippers contribute to misogyny and attitudes that regard women as sex objects who are liked, while male strippers are gross?

Old 10-26-2016, 09:36 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
My daughter was a nude model for art students at some local universities. She was hired for her unconventional body shape, very angular, long and lean. That was a bit shocking for me, but she was an artist herself and it paid for a lot of her supplies.

I did say if she ever felt the need to make money taking her clothes off in other ways that she should come to me first and I would help solve any temporary financial problems she was having.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:39 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
You make it sound like multiple unplanned pregnancies are random acts of fate over which women have no control. Having unprotected sex is making the choice to get pregnant every time you do it.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:23 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
So female strippers contribute to misogyny and attitudes that regard women as sex objects who are liked, while male strippers are gross?
I think you misunderstood. I think all strippers are "gross." My point was that it's not just female strippers that I don't support, it's the idea of sex work in general, for both sexes. I think the idea of the sex industry is disgusting in general. I don't think it's good work for anyone or for society or ideals of society. I brought up men so it wouldn't seem like it's just women sex workers I don't support.

The difference between male and female strippers however is society doesn't tend to view men as sex objects and sexualize them the same way it does with women. It's no secret society is patriarchal and misogyny rampant. I don't think female sex workers help any of these ideas and at the same time I denounce sex work in general for other reasons as well.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:47 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,444,985 times
I'd ask about discounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting