Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 09:42 AM

480 posts, read 668,315 times

Advertisements

Does your PTA work to include all parents (mothers, fathers, black, white, Hispanic, wealthy, poor, single parent, two parent, special education families, mainstream families) or does it cater to certain groups or types of parents?

What are some examples of how it is exclusive or inclusive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 09:54 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,960,789 times
I'm not sure what kind of examples you want but our PTA is inclusive. They are always seeking volunteers and they don't care or ask what color you are or what your income is or what your marital status is when you sign up to volunteer.

Do you want examples of events? They do a elementary school tailgate and football game at the HS every year. Our high school is directly across the street from the ES. You can get food or bring your own and hang out in the parking lot while the kids play in the huge grass area and on the playground. The kids get in free to the game and parents pay $7 for a ticket.

They do a fall festival and it's $15 for a 10 punch card. They do movies nights on Friday's and it's $15 for one kid or $20 for 2 kids and they get water, pizza and popcorn. They do these monthly. They do monthly skate nights and each month the focus is on a different grade. Kids get in free though they do have to pay $2 for their skates.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:21 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Maybe they exist, but I've never heard of a PTA operating as an "exclusive" organization. What would be the point?

Our own certainly tried to be inclusive, by alternating meetings from daytime to evenings monthly, so working parents could attend.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:39 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Inclusive. Everyone is welcome at meetings. Few attend.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:47 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
Does your PTA work to include all parents (mothers, fathers, black, white, Hispanic, wealthy, poor, single parent, two parent, special education families, mainstream families) or does it cater to certain groups or types of parents?

For the good that our PTA does, it is very exclusive. It reminds me of the popular girl clique in high school. I went to a few meetings and more time was spent gossiping about drama and sucking up to the women holding different committee chairs, than actually doing anything of value.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:51 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
Quote:

Anyone is free to volunteer to be on the PTA. My feeling is, unless they volunteer in some way they shouldn't be complaining. My child's school is always hurting for volunteers. It is sad that some parents will look for any reason to sue or claim some kind of discrimination, but won't get involved themselves to make their child's school a better place. It's just so incredibly negative. I will be the first to admit there is some snobbery amongst the PTA people, but I am grateful for what they do. They are not paid for it.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:55 AM

480 posts, read 668,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Anyone is free to volunteer to be on the PTA. My feeling is, unless they volunteer in some way they shouldn't be complaining. My child's school is always hurting for volunteers. It is sad that some parents will look for any reason to sue or claim some kind of discrimination, but won't get involved themselves to make their child's school a better place. It's just so incredibly negative. I will be the first to admit there is some snobbery amongst the PTA people, but I am grateful for what they do. They are not paid for it.

It's a bit hard to volunteer for something when the people in charge don't accept you as a volunteer, since you don't fit the mold they created that all volunteers must meet.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:09 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,584,478 times
A bit of both. Ours seems to have cliques like in high school who gossip and only want their own involved but then there are other areas where everyone is welcome. Our PTA does do a poor job of involving working families though. They often meet during the day and only ask for help with things that have to be done during work hours, not for things that could be done in the evenings or on the weekends. I have to take time off to volunteer which not everyone can do.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:09 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Quote:
It's a bit hard to volunteer for something when the people in charge don't accept you as a volunteer, since you don't fit the mold they created that all volunteers must meet.

What mold is that? Is it based on your color, sex, religion? Or is this just another complaint about how the PTA isn't accommodating you to your satisfaction based on your status as a working parent? Or did they not respond quickly enough to an email? Or did something else tick you off about the science fair?

Old 10-26-2016, 11:10 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,960,789 times
Quote:
Can you b?e more specific?

Isn't this the 2nd or 3rd post about the PTA this school year where you are the OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting