U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 10:10 AM

3,577 posts, read 3,137,226 times

Advertisements

My parents met on a blind date. My mom worked with my dad's sister. My aunt is the one who fixed them up. Their first date was a company picnic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 11:01 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,716,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
My mother married her older brother's best friend. His friend (my father) thought she was a pest, until one day she apparently wasn't. I don't think my uncle ever forgave my mother for being the Yoko, lol.
Sounds similar to my parents' story. My father and my maternal uncle were friends as teens. My mother, who was three years younger, liked to tag along with her brother, who generally rebuffed her. When the carnival came to town, my uncle balked at taking his sister with him, so my grandmother gave the money for the tickets to my father, instead. After that, my mother went everywhere with the boys, but as my father's girlfriend. Ironically, when my parents became serious about one another, the same grandmother who was responsible for their first date didn't think my father was good enough for her daughter, and shipped her off to school in another country in part to break them up. My father saved his money for a year, then followed her.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:05 AM

35 posts, read 15,089 times
My parents met in the spring of 1956 at an car dealership where they both worked. They were married in September of 1957 and were married for 49 years when my mom passed away almost 11 years ago.

But my favorite story is that of how my maternal grandparents met. My grandma had an identical twin sister, and they both worked in an office building in downtown Tulsa, OK. One day, near the end of the workday, my grandma and her sister looked out the window of their office building, and noticed a couple of guys in an office building across the street, checking them out by looking through binoculars. My Grandma's twin dared my Grandma to hold up a sign with the phone number to the office where she was working. (This would have been very "forward" and risqué for the times.) She accepted the dare and held up her phone number. My Grandpa called, and asked my Grandma out on a date. She accepted and the rest, as they say, is history. They married in December of 1924.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:13 AM

3,299 posts, read 1,861,411 times
Small-town restaurant/bar, pre-WWII. Dad was with his buddies and acting up. He tossed some small bit of paper over his shoulder which hit mom sitting in the next booth. She got mad and said to him "I wish I could come here and eat just one time without having to see your ugly mug!!" Then she walked out. He followed her outside, apologizing profusely, then invited her to a movie. She accepted.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:55 AM

7,078 posts, read 3,428,541 times
My mother's next door neighbor was having a summer cookout. My mother was working that day and someone at the cookout was supposed to pick her up at work and take her back to the party. My father came to the cookout with a friend. Things were getting busy at the cookout when it was time for someone to pick up my mother. So, my father volunteered to go get her. When he got there (she was waiting outside), he introduced himself and said he was there to take her to the cookout. She said: I don't know who you are and I'm not getting into your car. After some discussion, my father drove back to the cookout and had someone my mother knew, go back with him to pick her up.

This was in 1938.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:13 PM

2,645 posts, read 1,527,305 times
Yes, they were drunk at a concert when the officially met. Had common friends before that.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:49 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,541,997 times
At a bowling alley. My mother worked with my dad's sister and she wanted to set them up. It was after the end of WWll, my mother had plenty of dates, and she wasn't interested in meeting a co-worker's little brother. My aunt kept bugging her and my mother finally told her to invite him to bowling night.

Bowling night came and in walks a exceptionally good-looking guy who got all the girls' attention. My mother saw him and told a friend, "I should be so lucky that that is Ruth's little brother." It was. They got married six months later.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:53 PM

1,869 posts, read 940,521 times
My grandparents had a great story. It was 1916 and my 17-year-old grandfather had been hired as the new projectionist at a local movie house. He was standing out on the sidewalk in front of the theatre when my 16-year-old grandmother walked by. Looks were exchanged and my grandmother found many excuses in the next several weeks to run errands downtown for her mother and to "just happen" to be walking by the theatre at the right time. Finally, both got up enough nerve to speak to each other and interest grew.

Because her father was adamantly opposed to her dating, they courted secretly and had a clandestine correspondence while he was away during WWI (he had to write to her pretending to be a girl in case her father or mother opened the letters first).

When he came back to town, he decided it was time to get her father's permission to date her. She begged him not to, but he came to the house and stated his intentions. Her father picked him up (Grandpa was a small man and Great-grandpa was a big one) and threw him out the door onto the sidewalk. Grandpa brushed himself off, walked back to the door and said, "Sir, you can keep throwing me out and I'll keep coming back." So Great-grandpa threw him out again and he came back. Finally, Great-grandpa gave up and let him court Grandma.

They had a loving marriage for 54 years until he died. I wonder if any young men today would put up with getting thrown out the door and still come back for more....

Old 10-27-2016, 12:56 PM

3,798 posts, read 3,490,597 times
High school. I'm pretty sure they"had" to get married. (1965 )
They were dating and there's an 18 yr difference between me and my mom.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:01 PM

6,233 posts, read 3,523,327 times
I just remembered that there's a bit of a mystery with my mother. One day when I was looking through her jewelry I came upon a locket which I had never seen her wear. I opened it up and there was a picture of a handsome man in a military uniform.

When I asked her who he was she answered, "He was a friend of mine who was killed in the war." At that time I didn't think much about it but after she died and I was sorting through her things it dawned on me that he was the man she was waiting for. How sad.

I ended up with a good Dad, nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or