U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 09:52 AM

623 posts, read 129,076 times

Advertisements

Yep,They met at a nightclub in Florida. Dad was gonna ask her friend to dance but someone beat him to it and so he asked her. I am their first but my mom's 3rd child. They were divorced for 15 years after being married for 10 and remarried in 2007 and still together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 11:35 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,934,133 times
High school. She was 16 and he was 18.

Old 05-30-2019, 12:41 PM

169 posts, read 102,572 times
My parents met on a ship while on their way to the USA to start new lives. They were both 20. After landing in New York in 1939, they went their separate ways. Four years later, my dad was talking to someone who was describing this girl from the same island that he was from (Azores) and mentioned that it sounded like the same girl he met on the ship. This mutual friend made arrangements for them to meet. And it was the same girl. Nine months later they married in 1943. Married for 61 years.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:06 PM

12,045 posts, read 16,786,314 times
My mom was dating my dad's best friend. They broke up (best friend turned out to be a closeted gay man in the early '70s), my parents got together when my mom was 13 and my dad was 15, they got engaged when my mom was 16 and my dad was 18, and they got married a week after my mom graduated from college when she was 22. They're approaching their 40th wedding anniversary.

My dad never dated anyone else and my mom's first relationship was far from serious.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:14 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,674,652 times
It was December 1945. The war was over, but both my mom and my dad were still in the military finishing out their enlistments. My mom was a nurse at a VA hospital in Michigan, Dad was in the Merchant Marine stationed in NYC. Dad had become friends with this guy Max, who he met at the Lutheran Servicemen's Center. Max's sister, my mom, went out to visit her brother for New Year's Eve. They were to meet up in Times Square. He told her to look for a guy in a Navy uniform. (He was in the USN.) When she got there, Times Square was swarming with guys in Navy uniforms, but they eventually met up. He had his friend with him. I don't know if Uncle Max was match-making or it just happened. Two years later my mom flew out to Pittsburgh to spend NYE with my dad. He met her at the Pittsburgh airport and proposed. She said "Yes"! They got married in July. Uncle Max was Best Man and my godfather a year later. They were married 47 years, until my dad passed away.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:01 PM

621 posts, read 268,520 times
Yes....at my aunt's house. Actually he was my step father. I didn't know my biological father until about 10 years or so. And I'm 41. So, my step father was my dad.

I recently surprised my mom. She was explaining to me where my sister lives, and I was like... That's across the street where you met dad! She was floored because I remembered. I told her that you forget mom, I have an excellent memory. She laughed, but I could see the hurt in her eyes.

My dad passed away June 6, 2007.

When I met my bio, he was like... You can call me dad. I told him absolutely not. My dad passed away. But I will call you pop, if ok. He reached out his hand to shake mine. He told me that he respected my approach on that matter. He also said that he knows he wasn't in my life, (I know, respect and understand the reasons), but would like to have a relationship. Still to this day, we have a great relationship. Granted at first it was rocky, but we've since put bad times behind us and look forward to the next time we visit.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:55 PM

882 posts, read 337,845 times
My parents both joined the Air Force in the 50s to get away from their family situations. My mom and one friend were the only women in their group who came out of aptitude testing not being clerks. So they ended up working in logistics, and my dad was their boss. My mom was 19 and he was 27. She developed a crush, but her friends told her to forget about him, because he was obviously a "confirmed bachelor" at that old age. lol She didn't and they were married from 1959 until my dad passed away in 2006.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:21 AM

286 posts, read 120,872 times
Grad school

Old 06-04-2019, 04:39 AM

916 posts, read 336,427 times
They played in the same tennis competition team.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:56 AM

916 posts, read 336,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
My grandparents met when my grandfather was being a substitute for my grandmother's class. She was a senior, and he asked her out (I think she was 17 and he was 22). She said no. Looking at photos, she was a knock out and he was a huge geek. But he asked her out over and over until she said "Mr x, if I say yes for one date, will you leave me alone after that?". He said yes. They dated and married not too long later. I guess she fell for him. They stayed married forever (60 years?).

What is so funny is that they told the story with much love. Now a days, it would be seriously illegal. At least he would lose his job. And she could sue. It would be a huge scandal. But in their day it was a love story, I guess.

I am not saying it was ok for my grandfather to do that. In fact, I think it was wrong. But it was "normal" back then I think. I feel bad for women back then. Having to stay sweet while men in authority pursued them relentlessly.

On the other hand...my grandfather treated my grandmother like a queen every single day of their marriage until he died.
My former boss would tell how when he was first teaching in the 1960s, in the country here in Australia, it was very common for new male teachers in a country town to date the older students. And that the locals regarded it as a good thing.

Yes now completely illegal here too. And of course now everyone seems to meet online. There will be no cute stories to tell and as every one here marries so late, probably not too many diamond or even golden anniversaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or