U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 04:56 AM

839 posts, read 307,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
My grandparents met when my grandfather was being a substitute for my grandmother's class. She was a senior, and he asked her out (I think she was 17 and he was 22). She said no. Looking at photos, she was a knock out and he was a huge geek. But he asked her out over and over until she said "Mr x, if I say yes for one date, will you leave me alone after that?". He said yes. They dated and married not too long later. I guess she fell for him. They stayed married forever (60 years?).

What is so funny is that they told the story with much love. Now a days, it would be seriously illegal. At least he would lose his job. And she could sue. It would be a huge scandal. But in their day it was a love story, I guess.

I am not saying it was ok for my grandfather to do that. In fact, I think it was wrong. But it was "normal" back then I think. I feel bad for women back then. Having to stay sweet while men in authority pursued them relentlessly.

On the other hand...my grandfather treated my grandmother like a queen every single day of their marriage until he died.
My former boss would tell how when he was first teaching in the 1960s, in the country here in Australia, it was very common for new male teachers in a country town to date the older students. And that the locals regarded it as a good thing.

Yes now completely illegal here too. And of course now everyone seems to meet online. There will be no cute stories to tell and as every one here marries so late, probably not too many diamond or even golden anniversaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 04:26 PM

86,884 posts, read 102,281,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
My former boss would tell how when he was first teaching in the 1960s, in the country here in Australia, it was very common for new male teachers in a country town to date the older students. And that the locals regarded it as a good thing.

Yes now completely illegal here too. And of course now everyone seems to meet online. There will be no cute stories to tell and as every one here marries so late, probably not too many diamond or even golden anniversaries.
As people are in general living longer, there may still be lots of goldens. My daughters were 28 and 30 when they got married; lots of people live into their late 70s/early 80s these days.

We once had a pastor at our church who dated, later married a parishoner. This is now strongly discouraged as well these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or