Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 11:24 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Frankly, and this may come off as harsh, at those ages they should be able to sit quietly for a church service without something to keep them busy. I attended church from a younger age and understood it was quiet time even if I just watched other people. My children didn't need to have toys or books at those ages in church. If they can't learn to sit quietly and at least pretend to pay attention at those ages I have to wonder about their behavior in school, restaurants, theaters, etc. You need to set the expectation and stick to it.
I agree. This was an issue for mine when they were 4, not 11. One of mine has adhd, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 11:33 AM

Maybe mom isn't giving them enough credit. put them in a room full of adults sitting quietly, and they'll probably do the same.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:19 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,175,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Frankly, and this may come off as harsh, at those ages they should be able to sit quietly for a church service without something to keep them busy. I attended church from a younger age and understood it was quiet time even if I just watched other people. My children didn't need to have toys or books at those ages in church. If they can't learn to sit quietly and at least pretend to pay attention at those ages I have to wonder about their behavior in school, restaurants, theaters, etc. You need to set the expectation and stick to it.
I would agree as well. We are Catholic, so services are a little over an hour. Obviously we stand up, sing, sit down, get Communion, etc. so it isn't just sitting there for an hour but my 3 year old does fairly well at keeping herself busy and quiet. She will occasionally whisper things to us or ask us questions, but she keeps herself busy with coloring, reading books, and just looking around at others. She's been going to service with us since birth, so I think that has helped.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:45 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
They are homeschooled so they dont sit at a desk quietly. A restaurant is different...

We are switching because we are ready to make the transition to something more concrete for our beliefs.

I like the idea of sitting between them. I imagine the 10yr old will be fine. The 11yr old will ask a ton of questions and the 8yr old will have trouble.

As a child we went to a pentacostal church Sunday morning ( had childrens church), night and wednesday night ( no childrens church) and anyone who knows about that type of church knows it can drag on and on and on and on and on and on. THAT was boring. My mom was strict, we werent allowed ANYTHING to do, not even chewing gum.

I want them to learn and enjoy it but i want a reasonable level of quiet enjoyment.

Old 11-02-2016, 04:25 PM

You don't have them sit quietly and listen during home school? Sorry, but I think it is a crime that kids of this age haven't been taught to sit quietly and listen.

At the very least, they are old enough to follow instructions. Tell them ahead of time that you'll answer all of their question on the way home, but they must sit and listen during the service.

Old 11-02-2016, 04:31 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
I would agree as well. We are Catholic, so services are a little over an hour. Obviously we stand up, sing, sit down, get Communion, etc. so it isn't just sitting there for an hour but my 3 year old does fairly well at keeping herself busy and quiet. She will occasionally whisper things to us or ask us questions, but she keeps herself busy with coloring, reading books, and just looking around at others. She's been going to service with us since birth, so I think that has helped.
Same here. I expected my children to sit, stand, kneel, etc. during mass just as I was expected to do from early childhood. There was always something or someone interesting to watch or ponder.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:39 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
You don't have them sit quietly and listen during home school? Sorry, but I think it is a crime that kids of this age haven't been taught to sit quietly and listen.

At the very least, they are old enough to follow instructions. Tell them ahead of time that you'll answer all of their question on the way home, but they must sit and listen during the service.
A crime? Really? My kids go to a Montessori school that produces very successful adults and the kids don't "sit quietly and listen" in the traditional sense. They are amazing at asking questions, taking care of their own needs, being considerate to other people talking. But they don't sit quietly and listen like they do in traditional school when being taught a lesson. And if you walk in that school or deal with these kids you will find a very quiet school with very respectful kids.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
A crime? Really? My kids go to a Montessori school that produces very successful adults and the kids don't "sit quietly and listen" in the traditional sense. They are amazing at asking questions, taking care of their own needs, being considerate to other people talking. But they don't sit quietly and listen like they do in traditional school when being taught a lesson. And if you walk in that school or deal with these kids you will find a very quiet school with very respectful kids.
I've been to montessori schools. I bet a good number of those kids know how to sit and listen for an hour. Heck, they could even sit and day dream for all I care. It is not normal for 8-11 year olds to not know how to be quiet when everyone is quiet. All they need to have is the realization that "gosh, everyone is sitting quietly. I better do that too." If they really can't contain their questions for an hour, there is something wrong.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:49 PM

Have they never been to a wedding or funeral? Never ever sat in church when child care wasn't available?

Old 11-02-2016, 07:00 PM

Never been to a movie? Concert? Play?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting