Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 06:02 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,321,806 times

Advertisements

No, too young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 06:48 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,131,666 times
Not a parent, but that sort of online presence follows you for life. Remember nothing is ever truly deleted from the internet. I'd hate to think your daughter could possibly not getting into a certain college or say job later in life because she acted like a teen on camera. I watch vlogs. They always start off on something popular and then get into off topic things or bad things. I used to like one cooking channel. I thought it was cool she did rainbows for GLBT. Someone commented on it. She said "I do it, because rainbow themed food gets more views". A few people commented that was poor ethics and she said basically mind your own business. A cooking show, run by an adult, had issues. I wouldn't let a minor have a social media presence where you could be ided irl.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:13 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,140,268 times
No, I would see all kinds of downsides.
-It would start eating up her time.
-It would lead her to prioritize makeup/self-promotion at a time in her life when she should be prioritizing schoolwork/study.
-It would warp her perspective on fame-seeking.

That's off the top of my head. I'm sure I could come up with more if I spent time on it.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:05 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
If she hits it big and is pulling in $100,000 to $1,000,000 a year like some makeup YouTubers, more power to her, maybe she'll share some of the money with you!

No other time in our history, before now, could you have been a teenager in High School and make 5, 6, or even 7 figures a year by uploading videos talking about makeup/shopping, doing practical jokes, playing video games, etc.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:34 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,254,848 times
I would allow under supervision and if it does not hurt her school work. I really admire some makeup artists online and can't see how such talent could possibly hurt their career, even if they decided to run for president one day.

You might want to ask her do a demo video and then ask some friends and family or a professional artist for an opinion. If she is really good then why not?

Old 11-07-2016, 08:56 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
My biggest worry would be

1) replies.
they become a fight and an attack too easy

2) identifying info
its rare that people find you online...but it happens.

So I would focus on those issues.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:46 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Some people have found a strange sort of fame by doing YouTube Channels, and a couple have parlayed them into corporate endorsements and real money.

My daughter went through this obsession in middle school. She greatly admired the YouTubers...wished she were that confident. She even made a few practice videos. But she didn't really have the personality to pull it off. She's an introvert.

Plus we aren't made of money. Those Youtubers spend thousands buying the stuff they are pimping on their shows.
They are basically free advertising. How many girls are on YouTube doing this? Essentially promoting products to other girls who do the same. Lots. Does anyone really bring anything new to the genre?

No way I would have let her post something on YouTube. A child's privacy, image and information need to be protected. But I had to be careful. She is one of those kids that if you resist their whims, they push back even harder. I've been stealthy instead.

My daughter was lonely and isolated. It took some time, but I gave her money, support and encouragement to pursue activities I approved of. As far as I know, she doesn't bother with YouTube videos anymore. She is still trying new activities...circus acro, lacrosse, theater, cheerleading, dance, cello lessons. Broadening her horizons gave her new friends. She is much happier now.

(she did learn a lot about fashion and makeup. I always rely on her for product advice when shopping!)
There have been many great responses.

It would be one thing if your daughter only used the make-up that she already had but I suspect that she would want to buy more and more to show different techniques, styles and colors. As Stagemomma said, one of my concerns would be that this "hobby" might run into a lot of money. Some of the online bloggers spend a fortune to always have new products to promote.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:36 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
-It would lead her to prioritize makeup/self-promotion at a time in her life when she should be prioritizing schoolwork/study.

That's off the top of my head. I'm sure I could come up with more if I spent time on it.
A lot of the big time current youtubers also prioritized that, and ate up their time. However, it ended up paying off for them.

It's hard to say either way. If I had a kid, I would probably monitor them at most for sure, but not restrict them from doing YouTube if they wanted to. Restricting a child's dream (even if it's only temporary) is wrong, in my opinion.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:33 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post

This I think is the best argument against it, but I think it is important, especially for teens, to have these things explained to them, and if any of the above start to happen, it would end he channel.

At the child in questions age, I think limiting things because of potential problems should come after the child gives it a shot, that is how they learn after all.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:15 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
No - I would not. If I had a daughter she would be wearing minimal make-up at 15 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting