Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 11:03 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,042 times

Advertisements

It is possible that she has a gift and if so i would encourage. Check Cassandra Bankson early contributions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 02:18 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,444,985 times
As long as her privacy is protected, what's the problem?

Many a notable career has been launched by young people following their passion.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:47 PM

1,431 posts, read 912,069 times
She could gain a lot of subscribers and start making a lot of money (leading to eventual financial independence). I say why not.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:21 PM

33 posts, read 33,446 times
I don't understand this society any more. When I have kids, there's no way in hell I would even post pictures of my child on social media....oh wait I don't have a facebook,twitter,instagram, or anything lol and I'm young. People don't realize there are very very bad people in the world. You have to put yourself in the mind of a pedophile and wake up. You don't have to live your life in fear, but common sense on the reality that exists today.

I feel that people are so happy to post pictures of their kids on social media as a way to brag, like look at my beautiful family. Well frankly, you need to get your head out of the sand and put your ego to the side and just think...this is your innocent child who needs protection as long as you can give it before they have to go out and protect themselves. Do you realize how much information you can pick up with very little verbally given in a YouTube video. If you approve this your child is now a target to someone. I feel bad for the parent who is asking Bc she's not alone, everyone is conditioned to think that this is ok, but if you just sit down and really use critical thinking it is not ok. This is your precious innocent child we are talking about.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:50 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
When you're parenting expectations are so outside the typical expectation it encourages children to be secretive and hide things. A teen 2-3 years away from adulthood, college, and potentially so much more should be experiencing things like social media, with parental supervision and guidance, so that when they are "free" at 18 they have the soft skills necessary to navigate without their parents.
You make a very good point.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:49 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombleywomberly View Post
As long as her privacy is protected, what's the problem?

Many a notable career has been launched by young people following their passion.
This.

Amazing to me how many people would restrict someone's potential passion. It's one thing to monitor them and make sure they're protected, but another to completely not allow them to follow a passion. Then they end up wondering why their child resents them as they get older.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:51 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullandram View Post
I don't understand this society any more. When I have kids, there's no way in hell I would even post pictures of my child on social media....oh wait I don't have a facebook,twitter,instagram, or anything lol and I'm young. People don't realize there are very very bad people in the world. You have to put yourself in the mind of a pedophile and wake up. You don't have to live your life in fear, but common sense on the reality that exists today.

I feel that people are so happy to post pictures of their kids on social media as a way to brag, like look at my beautiful family. Well frankly, you need to get your head out of the sand and put your ego to the side and just think...this is your innocent child who needs protection as long as you can give it before they have to go out and protect themselves. Do you realize how much information you can pick up with very little verbally given in a YouTube video. If you approve this your child is now a target to someone. I feel bad for the parent who is asking Bc she's not alone, everyone is conditioned to think that this is ok, but if you just sit down and really use critical thinking it is not ok. This is your precious innocent child we are talking about.
For better or worse, social media and taking pictures is practically a way of life now. And there are bad people everywhere. Are you going to be afraid to leave the house for fear of being kidnapped? Raped? Killed? You can't live life that way either.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:57 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MigratingCoconut View Post
For a parent who chose the name harleequeen to ask for teenage advice, be glad that makeup tutorials are the worst of your problems.
Are you a migrating coconut?

There are certainly a lot of WORSE things 15yo girls could be getting into on youtube.

Set her channel to private, you as the parent can get the final say on going live, monitor her account and especially the comments (or disable them).

Old 11-09-2016, 07:44 AM

516 posts, read 429,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleequeen View Post
So my 15 year old daughter has been experimenting with makeup for a number of years now and has gotten really good. She has told me she wants to start her own makeup channel on YouTube, do you think that would be fine?

I'm sure you wouldn't complain about it if you told her no and she went and did it anyway and started making as much as you do per month.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:25 AM

245 posts, read 197,521 times
My friends little sister started a makeup channel and 16 she is now pulling in 6 figures are year from it. However, you need thick skin and the personality to pull it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting