Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 06:33 AM

402 posts, read 976,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysangelic16 View Post
My fiance and I are running a YouTube channel and we've had this very discussion because my son whose 6 LOVES playing minecraft with us during his free hour before bed. My fiance wants to have a "lets play" channel which is basically him playing video games while the audience watches and he gives commentary, to which I agree. I'd love to do it. Our son is SO funny when he plays we've really considered letting him be a part of the channel as well. That being said, I would closely closely monitor her. As someone whose put videos on the internet previously. I have gotten multiple "hate" comments because of my appearance and weight. That can take a toll even on the strongest individual.

Seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 06:37 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleequeen View Post
So my 15 year old daughter has been experimenting with makeup for a number of years now and has gotten really good. She has told me she wants to start her own makeup channel on YouTube, do you think that would be fine?
No way. Too young to be on social media at all, period. It would be opening her up to assault from assclown girls who would berate her on her methods. Not to mention, my girls did not wear makeup at all until they were older.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:40 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysangelic16 View Post
Our son is SO funny when he plays we've really considered letting him be a part of the channel as well.
I have gotten multiple "hate" comments because of my appearance and weight. That can take a toll even on the strongest individual.
Between this post and your other, it seems you have a lot of growing up to do yourself before making these kinds of decisions for a 6 year old CHILD.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:32 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
No way. Too young to be on social media at all, period. It would be opening her up to assault from assclown girls who would berate her on her methods. Not to mention, my girls did not wear makeup at all until they were older.
When you're parenting expectations are so outside the typical expectation it encourages children to be secretive and hide things. A teen 2-3 years away from adulthood, college, and potentially so much more should be experiencing things like social media, with parental supervision and guidance, so that when they are "free" at 18 they have the soft skills necessary to navigate without their parents.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:06 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
I'd be fine with it but talk to her about the dangers and how to handle negative comments. I would advise her NOT to give any identifying information other than perhaps her first name. If it became an issue with priorities or grades then I'd make her stop. But otherwise I'd monitor it and encourage her to spread her wings.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:48 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,437 times
There are two types of "individual"/"personal" youtube channels, and it all comes down to this: which way is the camera pointing?

If it's pointed at you, it leads to a lot of problems because of what you're opening yourself up to, as all the posters have noted. If it's pointed at something else, and you're not on camera yourself, it dials back on most of the haters, some of the vanity, most of the sexual predation, etc. A video of so-and-so's crafting project with their voice talking while they show their work just doesn't seem to inspire the hate or sexuality from the commenters that a video of a young lady who is the center of the picture 100% of the time seems to often inspire.

My wife watches a variety of youtube channels and some of the makeup tutorials are quite good and professional and so forth. And from what I understand 90% of the views are by other women. But, it is still a woman (or a girl) putting herself out there on display on the internet and we all know all of the horrible things that can come along with that in this world, no matter how unwarranted or unfair it is.

Maybe you can redirect her passion; tell her to do her friends' makeup for formals/dances, or look into part-time jobs in that field (although many states I think require cosmetology licenses for such work, which makes it a no-go for a teen).

Old 11-08-2016, 09:16 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
No, I would see all kinds of downsides.
-It would start eating up her time.
-It would lead her to prioritize makeup/self-promotion at a time in her life when she should be prioritizing schoolwork/study.
-It would warp her perspective on fame-seeking.

That's off the top of my head. I'm sure I could come up with more if I spent time on it.
You could use that argument for any other after school activity though. This is no different then doing sports or band or anything else teally.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:27 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,224,078 times
Lots of young people doing ASMR on youtube.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:15 AM

539 posts, read 566,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Between this post and your other, it seems you have a lot of growing up to do yourself before making these kinds of decisions for a 6 year old CHILD.
Yes! I would give you another rep, but I gotta spread the love.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:35 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,243 times
As long as I was able to monitor it and she was open with me about the content she was producing and its reception, I would be supportive of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting