Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 07:40 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
High test scores are definitely a function of income and education level of the parent, and most gifted programs use test scores to qualify a child for the program.

My own school district makes a real effort to identify those with strong academic ability who may be ill-served by traditional means of identification, but I am unsure as to how successful they are, or how common their effort is, nationwide.

Anecdotally, I do happen to have two children who are in our district's gifted program, and a third who most likely will be, when he's old enough. One of those children could probably live under a bridge with drug-addicted or absentee parents, and she'd still be a genius. But the other two? I doubt they'd even be testing at proficient levels. They are bright/average children who benefit from a stable home life, and educated middle-class parents who make sure they have every advantage.
Without a supportive environment my son would "fall through the cracks," so to speak, especially with his ADHD. Educational environment really does play a role in his growth and further advancing his abilities and skills. My older two require little assistance to excel. We do encourage critical thinking, inquiry, reading, writing, etc. I have high expectations in those areas.

Their father is similar. His parents are high school graduates, lower middle class, blue collar workers. Higher education was not on their radar and they were NOT supportive at all. The idea of higher-ed was off-putting to them. He was still a genius even without their encouragement and support.

We are lower middle class for Nor Cal. My husband, a gifted student from an UMC household, dropped out of his engineering program only to get his A.A. maybe five years later. I attend a top university for grad school. Our income doesn't quite line up with the statistical norms for gifted students and their households, but our educational backgrounds contribute to the learning environment our kids are raised in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 10:22 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
Whether children are labelled as gifted or not is irrelevant. Everyone has talents and everyone can be successful at something.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:46 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Whether children are labelled as gifted or not is irrelevant. Everyone has talents and everyone can be successful at something.
This is true. I don't know why so many parents are insistent about using the term "gifted".

Old 11-20-2016, 02:53 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,111,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
This is true. I don't know why so many parents are insistent about using the term "gifted".
Sure, of course. But it seems this thread is primarily about academic giftedness. Unless OP's library observation included titles on athletic giftedness, artistic giftedness, musical giftedness, linguistically gifted folks, people are gifted in working with animals...Which could be the case. However, many posters are discussing academic giftedness in school.

You don't have to use the term "gifted" but those kids deserve a quality education that challenges them and teaches them the skills they need in life, just as the typical, and below average kids should get as well.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:17 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
Is it a common perception that parents of elementary students think they're child is gifted?

Is this sort of like drivers, where 80% of drivers believe they are above-average?

The only data I have seen on this is I noticed at the library that all of the gifted books were checked out, while many standard education books were available on shelves.

I don't know the answer to this but it is HIGH. I'm a teacher and I get lots of 9th grade parents worried about their child's 4.0. They see their child's non existent GPA as a 4.0 instead of seeing that their child has not yet attained a GPA. I get numerous complaints to the principals office because I happen to teach the two classes that are most likely to derail a 4.0 (geometry and chemistry. Lucky me.). Both classes require abstract reasoning that is difficult for high school students.

I have come to the conclusion that there is a reason for this. I think parents are convinced when their children are young that they are geniuses because small children are little sponges. Think about it they come into this world unable to communicate or even use their hands. Two years later they're walking, talking and understanding everything we say to them. If an adult learned that much in two years they'd have to be beyond a genius. Children learn massive amounts of material in just a few years. I think seeing this makes parents think their child is much smarter than average and once they have that view of their children it's hard to let go. I don't DARE tell a parent their child is average yet most of them are. Statistically speaking 68% of us are some shade of average with only about 1 in 8 being above average. Trust me at least half of the parents I deal with think their child is way above average even when the results aren't there to back this up. Then they blame the teacher.

One thing I hate about teaching high school and teaching geometry and chemistry in particular is that this is where the parent's ability to "help" their child with their homework tops out and they start seeing what their child is really capable of but blame the teacher for their child's apparent decline. I suspect that a lot of higher performing students in the early grades is the result of parent coaching so their children look smart. Interestingly the really smart kids I see often don't have a 4.0 GPA. They are thinkers and they don't take kindly to being told what to do. They appreciate a challenge but they don't jump through hoops for grades.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 11-20-2016 at 06:49 PM..

Old 11-21-2016, 09:02 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I don't know the answer to this but it is HIGH. I'm a teacher and I get lots of 9th grade parents worried about their child's 4.0. They see their child's non existent GPA as a 4.0 instead of seeing that their child has not yet attained a GPA. I get numerous complaints to the principals office because I happen to teach the two classes that are most likely to derail a 4.0 (geometry and chemistry. Lucky me.). Both classes require abstract reasoning that is difficult for high school students.

I have come to the conclusion that there is a reason for this. I think parents are convinced when their children are young that they are geniuses because small children are little sponges. Think about it they come into this world unable to communicate or even use their hands. Two years later they're walking, talking and understanding everything we say to them. If an adult learned that much in two years they'd have to be beyond a genius. Children learn massive amounts of material in just a few years. I think seeing this makes parents think their child is much smarter than average and once they have that view of their children it's hard to let go. I don't DARE tell a parent their child is average yet most of them are. Statistically speaking 68% of us are some shade of average with only about 1 in 8 being above average. Trust me at least half of the parents I deal with think their child is way above average even when the results aren't there to back this up. Then they blame the teacher.

One thing I hate about teaching high school and teaching geometry and chemistry in particular is that this is where the parent's ability to "help" their child with their homework tops out and they start seeing what their child is really capable of but blame the teacher for their child's apparent decline. I suspect that a lot of higher performing students in the early grades is the result of parent coaching so their children look smart. Interestingly the really smart kids I see often don't have a 4.0 GPA. They are thinkers and they don't take kindly to being told what to do. They appreciate a challenge but they don't jump through hoops for grades.

You sound like my son's freshman Biology teacher. The difference is that she feel that she does have a bunch a bright and above average kids that have not been challenged.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:48 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
You sound like my son's freshman Biology teacher. The difference is that she feel that she does have a bunch a bright and above average kids that have not been challenged.

Yes. If the gifted child is easy going, and the parents are not proactive, then the gifted child will happily coast through elementary and middle school without having to put forth any effort whatsoever. Then high school is the first time there are differentiated courses, and the first time that the student is presented with material that has to be studied. Occasionally a gifted child is also gifted in study skills, and can pick them up very quickly. Much more often, the gifted child is NOT gifted in study skills, and has to start learning them from the very beginning in 9th grade. Most kids take about 6 years to learn good study skills (3rd through 8th grade) and then use them in high school. Many gifted kids also need 6 years to learn them, but since those 6 years are 9th grade through Junior year of college, many of them give up before getting there.

This is why challenging gifted educational opportunities are so important in elementary and middle school years. Otherwise a kid who could be a gifted brain surgeon is going to fail out of freshman biology because they haven't yet learned how to open a textbook.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:18 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
Is it a common perception that parents of elementary students think they're child is gifted?

Is this sort of like drivers, where 80% of drivers believe they are above-average?

The only data I have seen on this is I noticed at the library that all of the gifted books were checked out, while many standard education books were available on shelves.
I would consider somebody gifted if there were minimal involvement from parents but their kids just were way ahead of the other kids...at least 2 grade levels ahead. All on their own without adult involvement. But if you are like me who works hard with my kids in order for him to do good in school.
No, straight A's does not mean you are gifted by any means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting