U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 01:52 PM

25,215 posts, read 31,409,583 times

Advertisements

"Bad Baby Names: The worst true names parents saddled their kids with -- and you can too!" By Michael Sherrod and Matthew Rayback

Music City Moms :: View topic - Bad Baby Names

Old 02-26-2008, 01:54 PM
b75

951 posts, read 2,325,397 times
I especially can't stand the kr8tive spellings people use....It is like your kid is wearing a sign that says they come from the trailer park....

Old 02-26-2008, 01:59 PM

934 posts, read 137,511 times
Robert. Rachel.

I'll stick to the old, boring and predictable. Our last name (which is japanese) is hard enough to say and spell. NO need to torture the poor kids! lol

Old 02-26-2008, 02:03 PM

2,238 posts, read 6,490,260 times
When my (ex)husband and I were trying to decide on names for our daughter, he wanted to call her Portia. I didn't like it, and asked him why he wanted to name her that. His response? "That was the name of the hottest girl in my high school."

Say what? Even though it was the truth, that's not something you tell your pregnant young wife!

Needless to say, my daughter is NOT named Portia.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:06 PM
b75

951 posts, read 2,325,397 times
Yes men can come up with strange names sometimes esp. for daughters. Before I was born my father did the same with the girls' name list, trying to name me after hot girls he knew in H.S. b/c in his mind girls were for dating & being cute@@. A couple of the names he suggested I will not repeat but there is no way I could have had a serious career with them as an adult

Old 02-26-2008, 02:06 PM

934 posts, read 137,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
BEfore I even got pregnant with my daughter, we were laying in bed one night, going through each letter of the alphabet and choosing names we like.

Hubby (bless his heart!) came up with 'Keiko'. Which, in Japan is a very popular and pretty name, but to me- keiko is a killer whale at sea world- and I was having NO part of that! lol

Old 02-26-2008, 02:08 PM

1,363 posts, read 4,159,311 times
An ex-coworker's sons were named Justice, Wisdom, and Knowledge. She became pregnant with her fourth child while she was here. I told her to name the baby Slacker-the other three had enough to live up to. LOL. Lucky for me she had a good sense of humor.

Free country, so I guess people can name their kids whatever they want, but I feel bad for all of those Nevaehs out there who will have to forever introduce themselves as "Hi, I'm Nevaeh. That's heaven spelled backward."

Old 02-26-2008, 02:09 PM

1,117 posts, read 3,227,370 times
Quote:
When my (ex)husband and I were trying to decide on names for our daughter, he wanted to call her Portia. I didn't like it, and asked him why he wanted to name her that. His response? "That was the name of the hottest girl in my high school."

Say what? Even though it was the truth, that's not something you tell your pregnant young wife!

Explains why he's your EX!

Old 02-26-2008, 02:22 PM

11,231 posts, read 12,824,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
An ex-coworker's sons were named Justice, Wisdom, and Knowledge. She became pregnant with her fourth child while she was here. I told her to name the baby Slacker-the other three had enough to live up to. LOL. Lucky for me she had a good sense of humor.

Free country, so I guess people can name their kids whatever they want, but I feel bad for all of those Nevaehs out there who will have to forever introduce themselves as "Hi, I'm Nevaeh. That's heaven spelled backward."
There was a horrible case here last year where a father murdered his young daughter and her name was Neveuh. They couldn't even spell it right backwards. Very sad.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:24 PM

3,100 posts, read 5,906,069 times
Quote:
In general, I just have to wonder: why would any father want to name their daughter something that reminds him of the hottest girl in high school?

That kind of creeps me out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting