Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 08:08 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times

Advertisements

Helmet was a must for my kids. Even now with my younger one at 13. If I see a neighbor's kid who is riding with my son without a helmet, I would say to them, "Did you forget your helmet?" Check with your insurance company. Mine reimburse up to $30 annually for helmet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 04:20 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,157 times
1. Do your children wear protective gear (helmets, elbow pads, knee pads) when they bike/skate/play etc.

They wear helmets when biking or riding scooters.

2. If your children do not wear protective gear, why not?

3. If you children do wear protective gear, is it by choice or do you require them to?

They are required to do so, but it's all they've ever known, so they don't object.

4. How much would you be willing to pay for protective gear for your children?

I think the most I've paid is $25-30

Old 11-19-2016, 04:33 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Speaking of bike helmets - while I don't think they are on the commercial market yet, this is a fantastic idea:

Paper bike helmet wins International James Dyson design award - Business Insider

Quote:
Shiffer imagines the helmets could be sold in vending machines near bike share stations for $5 each.
Quote:
A 28-year-old New Yorker, Shiffertold the BBC that she realized a paper helmet would be "a tough sell," since the material doesn't seem strong enough to protect you in an accident. But the EcoHelmet has a radial honeycomb design similar to that of foldable decorations, which Shiffer says makes it as solid as a traditional polycarbonate plastic helmet. So far, she told CNN, it's been reliable at absorbing impact in the tests she's done so far.

The helmet also has a biodegradable coating that makes it resistant to light rain for up to three hours, and it's recyclable, so used helmets could potentially be turned into new ones.

Shiffer has said she hopes to conduct more research to make the EcoHelmet stronger, more more water-resistant, and ready for mass production. There's no timeline yet, however, on when and where the EcoHelmet will be available.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:53 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
Yes, always helmets for biking or on the razor. If they did skateboarding at parks or whatnot, I'd be sure they had elbow/knee guards as well. It is a requirement if you want to be on the bike/razor/whatever. Not their choice. I am the parent. I pay what I have to pay. I look for quality at a lower price point as much as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting