Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 07:45 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I assume this is a child? In my experience, if children in a family are too fat, it's because the parents provide the wrong things because of their own bad eating habits.
I see it all the time. Parents cater to picky eaters. Parents allow their kids to snack all day, then wonder why they don't eat balanced meals. Parents provide too much fast food, sugar and empty carbs.
Of course, we do not know your situation, OP.
That doesn't pan out to be factual, if you research it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 08:47 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
How old is your daughter? How overweight is she? Is her pediatrician concerned about her weight? How is your weight? Have you ever had an eating disorder? What are your family habits as far as eating and exercise go?

Tread very carefully in this area. You can make a young girl miserable, spark an eating disorder, and/or set up a lifetime of food issues by trying to manage a young girl's weight. The best thing you can do is set a good example, talk about healthy eating and encourage physical activity.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:12 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,759,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Your user name sounded familiar so I looked back and discovered that you were the poster who was so underweight that you may have been suffering from malnutrition, and your family had significant financial difficulties, which resulted in very limited money to buy food.

If this is the case, I strongly urge you to contact your doctors (daughter's pediatrician and your primary care physician) to see if your entire family can visit a dietician to help plan foods and meals that will work well for everyone in the family. Your daughter may be overweight because of eating too much low cost but filling food, such as rice/beans/potatoes/bread and limited fresh fruits and vegetables. Or there may be other complications such as your daughter being concerned about your health & other family difficulties so she eats more because she is worried and upset. Or other problems.

You may need to seek professional help to get this sorted out. Good luck,

^^^ This is excellent advice.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:27 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
That doesn't pan out to be factual, if you research it.
I am only commenting from my own observation, here in GA, one of the most obese states in the country. One needs only to look at any grocery cart here.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:03 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Eat real food and not processed crap. Depending on your child's age, she is eating what you feed to her. For example, no 6 year old is making their own dinner and doing their own grocery shopping. Stick with protein (meat, eggs), veggies, fruit, nuts and limited whole grains (like brown rice). Get rid of juice and soda. But the whole family needs to get on board. It's not fair to stock the pantry with chips and mac and cheese and tell her she can't have them.

If your daughter is older, than the approach will obviously be different.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:07 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,282,587 times
You could point in a lot of directions to get your answer.

Bottom line is she needs to find something she can stick with, and that takes trail and error. Some like exercise, some don't. Some can change up a diet on a dime, some can't. There are a myriad of ways to do it out there, for which you will be shown success. It doesn't mean it will work for your daughter.

All you can do is provide her information, and support her.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:18 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,554 times
especially for a child (most of them- if there are eating disorders in the family thats really different, you do need to check in with a medical person or psych.)
its exercise and activity levels that are equally important-
is she getting out every day? Have anything she does that is physical-

even putting on Dance revolution for 45 mins after school is a big step- start with 15 mins of her favorite music! and continue- heaps of encouragement
withOUT shaming her on her weight - super important- you don't want guilty secret eating,

and the exercise will cut down on her appetite too..

Good luck and keep us updated!

Old 11-15-2016, 12:50 PM

387 posts, read 554,729 times
I would just say, since the OP hasn't responded and provided no specifics about the child's age nor issues, no one should get too worked up about responding in detail.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:30 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,473,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Eat real food and not processed crap. Depending on your child's age, she is eating what you feed to her. For example, no 6 year old is making their own dinner and doing their own grocery shopping. Stick with protein (meat, eggs), veggies, fruit, nuts and limited whole grains (like brown rice). Get rid of juice and soda. But the whole family needs to get on board. It's not fair to stock the pantry with chips and mac and cheese and tell her she can't have them.

If your daughter is older, than the approach will obviously be different.
limited whole grains? No, she should be eating whole grains and a variety of them, not just brown rice. I do agree that she should reduce consumption of empty calories such as chips and soda, but there is nothing inherently wrong with eating whole grains in addition to moderate amounts of protein, and fruits and vegetables. I wouldn't put my kids on any low carb/keto type diet, IMHO

As I've mentioned to you OP in the diet and weight loss forum, you need to tread the line when it comes to weight control with a 12 year old. What you don't want is a self esteem problem. What you want to do is diet modification vs. just calorie restricting/dieting. You want her to learn how to make good food choices and pay attention to portions. that probably means you need to make sure she is eating food from home most of the time. And most of all SHE NEEDS MORE EXERCISE.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:03 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,959,081 times
He has a couple of other threads about this and the daughter is 12.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting