Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 02:55 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,223,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
And most of all SHE NEEDS MORE EXERCISE.
Probably more important than anything else right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 03:07 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,961 times
OK start with the desire to eat and why? Why is a person that is overweight want to eat? Start with the stomach, the organ.. Most have enlarged the organ beyond its design. Shrink the organ by eating very small amounts a cup would be a meal, but more frequently as the body slowly adjusts over time. Also run glucose tests at various times of day. Relating glucose levels with the desire to eat is a good tool. Next work on food product selection, low glycemic vs high glycemic foods. Record total calories per day and track weight daily. Study to find the magic number of calories per day needed for the specific person.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:37 PM

506 posts, read 651,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
I may have posted before, but, looking for simple plans to help my daughter lose weight. There is so many different plans..forks over knives (plant based), low carb high fat, etc. Anyone have simple plans to help kids lose weight? Video exercise? 1 hour exercise per day..

Thanks..
First off, she has to want to lose weight badly. Then when that's settled, she can start my Susan's Half Diet. What I do is I eat what I would normally eat but only half of each meal or snack. So, if i had been eating, say, six Little Debbie's per day I would switch to eating three. And with each of those three I would cut them into thirds. That way, I can draw them out over an entire day. Maybe she could find a low calorie snack she likes when she's not stuffing herself with pastries. I eat tangerines and cherry tomatoes. But I *think* about Little Debbies while I'm eating them and hate myself for it.
Next thing I would do is try to drink a lot of liquids to help keep my stomach full. Finally , I would figure out one exercise I could do without wanting to kill myself. And I'd do that each day.
There's my crazy answer from grandma!

Old 11-15-2016, 04:02 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
OP 12 yos should not be "dieting" or looking to lose weight through calorie restriction. Get her outside, go for a walk after dinner, go hiking on the weekends, volunteer her to walk your neighbors dogs, get her to join a sport, eat at home, keep healthy snacks in the house and limit junk food in the house.

Put going on a diet, is a recipe for disaster. Most children that age cannot internalize weight loss in a healthy way and you are setting her up for a lifetime of issues.

Old 11-15-2016, 04:03 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I'm reaching here, since I haven't read all the thread, but I do watch the 600# show. In these shows, the parents are clueless and the children are victims.

Old 11-15-2016, 04:24 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
She is only 12

Best Weight Loss Plan for Pre-Teens

Old 11-15-2016, 05:05 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
limited whole grains? No, she should be eating whole grains and a variety of them, not just brown rice. I do agree that she should reduce consumption of empty calories such as chips and soda, but there is nothing inherently wrong with eating whole grains in addition to moderate amounts of protein, and fruits and vegetables. I wouldn't put my kids on any low carb/keto type diet, IMHO

As I've mentioned to you OP in the diet and weight loss forum, you need to tread the line when it comes to weight control with a 12 year old. What you don't want is a self esteem problem. What you want to do is diet modification vs. just calorie restricting/dieting. You want her to learn how to make good food choices and pay attention to portions. that probably means you need to make sure she is eating food from home most of the time. And most of all SHE NEEDS MORE EXERCISE.
Whole grains consumption should automatically exclude wheat if the individual is already struggling with being overweight/obesity. A modified paleo diet would be the best approach to take with plenty of vegetables, fruits, lean meats, and some starches.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 11-15-2016 at 05:59 PM..

Old 11-15-2016, 06:01 PM

516 posts, read 429,334 times
When I met who is now my wife, I was head over heels attracted to her(and still am). She is a hottie, blonde, big bust, nice booty etc....and we are made for each other. She is everything I am not and vice versa. After 3 kids her belly isn't so little anymore.

Yeah, it's bothered me from time to time, but I decided to take a proactive approach years ago and start cutting out unhealthy food from MY diet little by little. It was hard for me because I learned and realized that the day to day choices regarding food are extremely difficult for me. Mind you, I am 6' 3" and about 200 lbs., food was never a problem for me until I was around 20 years old.

My wife suffers from a thyroid disease where her thyroid is under active. She has spent YEARS researching it on her own and has recently (early this year) found a way to combat her disease and loose weight and stay healthy and feel good. Simply put....auto immune paleo diet. But, for her, its not a "diet" per se...its a lifestyle change. She has had to cut out TONS of "comfort" food from her diet. It was difficult at first, but after she realized the massive benefits (namely, feeling much better) it gave her an inspiration to continue on her journey and strength to not give up. I have witnessed an amazing change in her physique as well as her mental state. She jumps up out of bed every morning and has bountiful energy. She is convinced that her lifestyle change will benefit anyone, even if they don't suffer from the same ailments as her.

As a "slim" person, I totally understand how difficult it is to loose weight. I have lived with it and witnessed it and supported the efforts of someone loosing weight and seen the transformation first hand. The key is keeping the person convinced that its worth it for tomorrow.....seriously. If they think its useless then all is lost. Its up to you, as a supporter, to convince them that all their effort is going to pay off. Once they see the fruits of their labor, their doubts will transform into optimism. Trust me, Ive seen it.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:07 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzmark View Post
Auto immune paleo diet for the rest of her life. Obesity and being overweight is a constant struggle. One has to change their way of thinking and lifestyle in order to truly loose weight and keep it off. I know people who used to be morbidly obese and they are now walking around the beach with no shirt on OR in a 2 piece bikini. They had to stop associating with everyone who wasn't conducive to their lifestyle change.
One does not *loose* weight one does *lose* weight then their clothing will become *loose*.

OP: Take your child to get a good physical and speak with her doctor about her weight and how to move forward in a safe and nutritionally balanced way.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:10 PM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times
Clean up your diets - your whole family. If she is eating the same things you are and having problems, it isn't good for you either. If you're not eating the same things, you should be. Have meals together, pack lunches, etc. Do fun active things together - roller skating, walking the dog, riding a bike, etc. Change your family lifestyle and don't make it all about her or all about weight. Do that first, and do it well, before you start looking into dieting programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting