Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 05:37 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times

Advertisements

I made my kids authorized users on my credit card when they each got a drivers license at 16 years old. Very clear expectations were given about what they could and could not use the card for. They kept this through college. Once they became employed full time, I took back the card, as they each qualified for their own accounts.

I also have always had my accounts set up so I get an email and/or a text as soon as a card is used. I was never disappointed. All are now fiscally responsible adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 05:38 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
I had a bank card for my own account when I was 12. The morning hangout was the 7-11 next to the school, and I thought it was cool to show off to my friends that I could get money out of the ATM. I would take out $20 and buy a donut. I was smart enough to know NOT to give any money to my friends or buy them things, I was cheap!

I did not have a debit or credit card until I was in college and got a free t-shirt to sign up for one.

Old 11-20-2016, 05:46 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
No. They had credit cards and debit cards under their own names when they went to college. The only cost to us was the money we deposited in their accounts each month to cover their expenses.

Old 11-20-2016, 05:57 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I made my kids authorized users on my credit card when they each got a drivers license at 16 years old. Very clear expectations were given about what they could and could not use the card for. They kept this through college. Once they became employed full time, I took back the card, as they each qualified for their own accounts.
Excellent idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I also have always had my accounts set up so I get an email and/or a text as soon as a card is used. I was never disappointed. All are now fiscally responsible adults.
When my daughter was about 18 she had her own credit card. In retrospect, it would have been better if she had been an authorized user on our card and we would have been able to see what she was purchasing when she was away at college. While it was not horrible, she had a difficult time at that age distinguishing "needs" from "wants" especially in regards to clothing & make-up.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:06 PM

269 posts, read 246,815 times
My kids didn't get a debt card until they turned 18 and were legally responsible for themselves, my girls all had a several thousand dollars in their bank accounts from selling hogs at fair, and no kid needs access to that much money until they are adults. All my girls at times did make large purchases (each bought a MacBook) but I would go withdraw the money from their accounts and they'd pay cash.

My three girls didn't get a Visa check card until they all turned 19. My 16-year-old son won't get a debt card until he's at least 18.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:09 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagining_ View Post
My sister (who doesn't have kids) seemed really surprised by the fact that my 12 year old has a debit card. (As do my 16 and 17 year olds.)
I'm curious does your 12 year old have their own debit card which is only linked to their checking or savings account? Or is it linked to your account/accounts?

What does your 12 year old usually buy with the debit card? Do you do this because you don't like them to carry cash or is the card just for "emergencies"?

Old 11-20-2016, 06:45 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
We just got our kids their own checking accounts with debit cards (13, 14, and 16yo). We send them up to the grocery store sometimes to get food and. they can shop for their own minor things. We put money in the account if they are buying for the family (e.g., groceries) to cover the cost, but they cover their own things. They are not attached to the parent accounts in any way at this point.

I had a checkbook by the time I was 16 and paid stuff with check (from my own account). I don't think debit cards were around at that point. I got a cc at 17 when I started college.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:00 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
My older kids (22, 20) didn't have debit or credit cards until they went to college. They both worked when they were teens but they never signed up for the card. My youngest is 17 and he has his own debit card tied to the bank account where his paycheck gets deposited. He got an account at a local credit union that has a very low cost account designed for 16-26 year olds. It includes a debit card at no extra charge to him.

I don't think I would want a 12 year old to have a debit card that was tied to our checking account. Maybe it would be ok it if was tied to the child's account.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:20 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
If i gave my 10yr old a card, shed be at Walgreens every day buying candy.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:15 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
<shrug> I had an ATM card when I was 12 ('Debit' hadn't been invented yet). I also had a job, and a checking account. Kids need to learn how to handle money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting