Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 12:14 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,529,738 times

Advertisements

I know quite a few parents that forces their children starting at age 7 to take music instrument lessons. Do you agree or disagree with this?

I personally think unless the child is gifted or shown interest with music, then it's most likely a waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 12:28 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,100,300 times
"Force" is a strong word...Do you know for certain these children are "forced"? Like physically? Emotionally?

Or are they "encouraged"? Or "given opportunities"?

Each family has their own set of values, and often times parents "strongly encourage" children to do things the children don't love because the parents/adults know it's good for them. (Ex.: Eating veggies, brushing teeth, homework, all manner of various activities in pursuit of a well-rounded happy whole person...) The ability to play a musical instrument is a skill set that some people value.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:53 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,529,738 times
I'm using the word forced to describe strong encouragement, grooming, pressured, etc.

I can tell some parents maybe pushing their kids too hard and they might not be ready for certain types of training yet.

I remember being paid by someone to teach their 9-10 yr olds on how to program computers. It's very challenging because I don't think it can be taught easily until a certain age. They can probably learn the concepts through easier exercises and teaching them how to do simple computer fundamentals but parents should not expect their kids to be able to pick up on it unless they are geniuses or gifted. They also have to be willing to learn if not it becomes a babysitting exercise.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:57 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,875,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I know quite a few parents that forces their children starting at age 7 to take music instrument lessons. Do you agree or disagree with this?

I personally think unless the child is gifted or shown interest with music, then it's most likely a waste.

It may or may not be. Parents get their children involve in different activities at young age for various reasons. Remember, it's all about development of a child. Why pick on music instruments? Parents have their kids play sports at very young age too and most will end up not being interested at all.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:58 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,133,313 times
7 is kind of late. 5 or 6 should be the starting age for musical instrument.

IMO nothing is wasted for resources committed to the kids. They should have a chance to try out everything until they find the one they like.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:25 PM

22,299 posts, read 47,238,084 times
Kids start an instrument in grade 4 in my area.
Almost everybody tries it for a year.
There is no need to "force" anyone!

Old 11-21-2016, 02:13 PM

4,268 posts, read 6,260,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

I began taking piano lessons when I was 6 years old. Took them until I was about 16, then stopped (at my request, which my parents honored). I continued to play - just for fun - throughout college and in a couple bands as an adult. I saved up the money and once my husband and I bought a house our first big purchase was - you guessed it - a piano. I love that I can sit down at our piano and begin playing "Fur Elise" without hesitation, and that I can pull out my book of Clementi's Sonatinas and play all six nearly perfectly. If my parents hadn't "forced" me - I wouldn't have the love for music that I have now (I'm partial to ANY song on the radio that has a piano featured in it).

I had my kids take piano when they were about 7-8, respectively, and while they seemed to like it, they didn't love it. I didn't force them to continue after 2 years of lessons. However, once in middle school my son expressed interest in joining his school band. He signed up for a brass instrument and he loves it - and he says that taking piano lessons for a couple years helped him because he didn't have to start from scratch when it came to learning music. And he uses our piano to help practice at home (when learning to play a new song he'll play it on the piano first so he can hear what it is supposed to sound like).

My daughter took chorus in middle school and when learning the songs she would sit at the piano and pluck out her alto line when learning the songs.

So no, I don't think those two years of piano was a waste. My kids appreciate music - and the talent it takes to play an instrument - more than they might have otherwise. I've found my kids on more than one occasion sitting at the piano plucking out a tune or two...

Old 11-21-2016, 02:15 PM

4,268 posts, read 6,260,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
It may or may not be. Parents get their children involve in different activities at young age for various reasons. Remember, it's all about development of a child. Why pick on music instruments? Parents have their kids play sports at very young age too and most will end up not being interested at all.
Agree! My kids tried EVERYTHING when they were young - soccer, gymnastics, baseball, dance (just to name a few) - before settling on the things they enjoy doing.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:16 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,051,260 times
Parents also often have to "force" their kids to go to school, take a bath, brush their teeth, go to bed, eat the occasional vegetable, put a coat on in 10 degree weather, and so on.

There's a reason we don't let 7 year olds run their own lives.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:18 PM

676 posts, read 720,613 times
My son wanted to try band in 5th grade. It wasn't a real class so you could drop at any time and not worry about your grade. He did it for a couple months then lost interest playing the sax. The instrument rental place does rent to own and it was a brand new yamaha so I just kept paying on it. that way it will always be around if he decides to pick it up later in life. In a couple months it will be paid off. He is in 7th grade now and likes choir better. Kids should not be forced to learn an instrument, it just creates resentment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting