Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 06:08 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times

Advertisements

I am so confused. You are 42 and expect your father to respect you? How about you respect him? I would never visit my mother and expect her to do anything for me. I would be helping her, seeing what she needs and doing things for her! He is 80, it is your turn to help out. Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 06:55 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anglonorseman View Post
No, I don't. It's just I think he should be nice and respectful.

How old are you? Your father is 80 years old. YOU should doing things for HIM not the other way around. If anybody is disrespectful it comes across as YOU.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:15 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,231,525 times
A lot of people are like this at 80. They slow down, want to stay home, might seem grizzly, and keep to routine. It's natural. Some stay very active and social. It can be a bit of an adjustment when your parent gets like this (especially at a distance, it feels sudden). You'll have a better time if you don't take this personal and respect his need for quiet visits.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:45 PM

32 posts, read 23,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
How old are you? Your father is 80 years old. YOU should doing things for HIM not the other way around. If anybody is disrespectful it comes across as YOU.
I am 42.

Old 11-24-2016, 05:37 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
(snip) it's my family home.
(snip).
Quote:
I am 42.
I wanted to point something it. I am assuming that the house is in your father's name and that while you may have grown up there, your father has lived there by himself for many years. So, in a way it still is your family home but primarily is your father's home. It is an interesting distinction. Just something else to consider.

My siblings and I visited our elderly parents often, both to assist with caregiving when our mother was alive, and to assist him after her death. Of course, it was mostly because we loved them and enjoyed their company.

I remember once when I visited, I noticed that my dad had several new 8 by 10, framed photographs of some of his grandchildren & godchildren sitting on the coffee table with a hammer and picture hangers. I assumed that he had been planning to put them up so I decided to "help". There were a number of older pictures up that I didn't like as much, so I took down a couple pictures and put the new ones up.

I thought that I was being helpful, but when my dad came home, he was pretty upset He pointed out that it was his house and he got to decide which photographs went up on the walls and where they should go. It was not that he was angry as much as that I has overstepped the boundaries of the child/parent relationship. He said that at my house I got to make those decisions and at his house he got to make the same decisions.

BTW, I was in my early 40s at the time and my dad was also about 80. I had moved away from home almost 25 years earlier, so while it was still "my family home" in some ways it was definitely " my parent's home" in most ways.

Old 11-24-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I wanted to point something it. I am assuming that the house is in your father's name and that while you may have grown up there, your father has lived there by himself for many years. So, in a way it still is your family home but primarily is your father's home. It is an interesting distinction. Just something else to consider.

My siblings and I visited our elderly parents often, both to assist with caregiving when our mother was alive, and to assist him after her death. Of course, it was mostly because we loved them and enjoyed their company.

I remember once when I visited, I noticed that my dad had several new 8 by 10, framed photographs of some of his grandchildren & godchildren sitting on the coffee table with a hammer and picture hangers. I assumed that he had been planning to put them up so I decided to "help". There were a number of older pictures up that I didn't like as much, so I took down a couple pictures and put the new ones up.

I thought that I was being helpful, but when my dad came home, he was pretty upset He pointed out that it was his house and he got to decide which photographs went up on the walls and where they should go. It was not that he was angry as much as that I has overstepped the boundaries of the child/parent relationship. He said that at my house I got to make those decisions and at his house he got to make the same decisions.

BTW, I was in my early 40s at the time and my dad was also about 80. I had moved away from home almost 25 years earlier, so while it was still "my family home" in some ways it was definitely " my parent's home" in most ways.
Parents should be out to satisfy kids. i don't really like my family to be honest, they don't help me, my bro is selfish, he does his own thing and doesn't tell me his hobbies or interests. he dates and even goes to clubs/strippers and is an academic and has a friends with benefits and i hate that, he needs to be more chaste.

and i tell my mother about how my dad doesn't take me out, and she is nice and empathises.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:20 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,648 times
You have a great many unusual opinions and firm judgments about how you think interpersonal relationships, family and otherwise, should be.

You keep starting topics asking if this or that is "weird" or "wrong," however, you don't like the replies you are getting. Your focus is always on the other person – father, brother, "hot women" – they're all doing something wrong in your eyes. It has not occurred to you to look at yourself at all nor do you want to evidently.

Did you feel this way before your religious conversion?

You are not a "kid" and haven't been one for a long time. The examples you have given us show you to be highly judgmental and lacking introspection. Especially when it comes to thinking that your 80-year-old father should be catering to your whims until he goes to his grave. You're 42. I'm having a difficult time seeing why your family would like you much either.

"To be honest."

Last edited by CatzPaw; 11-24-2016 at 08:46 PM..

Old 11-24-2016, 08:48 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Parents should be out to satisfy kids.
Well, a parent should help their child. A 42 year old is not a child.

Quote:
i don't really like my family to be honest, they don't help me.
You are 42 years old. Why should your parents and family "help you" especially if you don't like them?

Perhaps, you should not visit them as often.

Quote:
my bro is selfish, he does his own thing and doesn't tell me his hobbies or interests. he dates and even goes to clubs/strippers and is an academic and has a friends with benefits and i hate that, he needs to be more chaste.
Your brother is an adult. He can live his life the way that he chooses to life his life. He does NOT need to be more chaste, just because his brother disagrees with his life style.

Quote:
and i tell my mother about how my dad doesn't take me out, and she is nice and empathises.
How old is your mother? Does she still take you to movies and things like that?
How often do you go home to visit one or the other of your parents?

Perhaps, you could stay in your own apartment for the next few weekends. Go to holiday parties and the movies with your friends and co-workers. Visit your parents for Christmas.

Of course, if you are disabled or have special needs, it may be a different situation.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
You have a great many unusual opinions and firm judgments about how you think interpersonal relationships, family and otherwise, should be.

You keep starting topics asking if this or that is "weird" or "wrong," however, you don't like the replies you are getting. Your focus is always on the other person – father, brother, "hot women" – they're all doing something wrong in your eyes. It has not occurred to you to look at yourself at all nor do you want to evidently.

Did you feel this way before your religious conversion?

You are not a "kid" and haven't been one for a long time. The examples you have given us show you to be highly judgmental and lacking introspection. Especially when it comes to thinking that your 80-year-old father should be catering to your whims until he goes to his grave. You're 42. I'm having a difficult time seeing why your family would like you much either.

"To be honest."
I feel i should be allowed to do what I want, how I want, and for me to be free in my familial house.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:27 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Its official...I've heard it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting