U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 07:41 PM

12,913 posts, read 19,792,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yup, lifelong NJ resident. Where we drink cawfee.
That word gives me away every time I try and pass for a GA native .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 08:12 PM

8,860 posts, read 4,826,319 times
Names are interesting. Myself, I seem to be from the Les Nesman School of Broadcasting.

For example, even here in Texas, I am notorious for pronouncing Maria as "Mar-e-ah".

Or take Aja. To me, it's not A-sia but "Ah-JAh".

Personally, I would go with Mar-ah, but that's just me. To me, it sounds more unique, more powerful.

Finally, about Kara? There are two ways to pronounce that as well. Being Supergirl and Soviet cruiser oriented, to me, it's "Car-ah".....but I have heard it pronounced "Care-ah" as well.

However it is to be pronounced, make sure she knows to have people call her by the proper way. Never let anyone tell her differently.

Ie,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqwx2XFb1fQ

Old 12-11-2016, 11:23 PM

51,225 posts, read 50,519,955 times
^Hahaha. Loved Data.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
No doubt. From this thread, it seems that there are 3 ways it can be pronounced. I don't think any one is "more correct" than any other.
Exactly. The correct way will be how the person.whose name it is says it's pronounced.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:54 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,805,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Exactly. The correct way will be how the person.whose name it is says it's pronounced.
Wrong. My name is Dan. No one is going to allow me to choose the pronunciation of it as duhn, dain, dahn, or doon.

And it's mar-uh.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:42 AM

5,147 posts, read 3,605,611 times
I always heard it pronounced with the first "a" sound like car.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Wrong. My name is Dan. No one is going to allow me to choose the pronunciation of it as duhn, dain, dahn, or doon.

And it's mar-uh.
Hahaha, try it and see if it works, Dan. You never know. But people DO pronounce the A In Dan in different ways--you know that, right? Some people do say "Dahn", Some people also pronounce Dawn that way. But childish of you to twist my meaning. Mara WILL pronounce her name the way she wants, which is likely the way she has been told all her life it is pronounced, which may not be the way YOU decide it's to be pronounced.

Your pronunciation opinion of Mara is of no use as written because some people are saying the "Mar" part as if it rhymes with "car" and others as in "marriage" and still others say that A as it is said in Mary.

So which one did you mean?

Old 12-12-2016, 05:43 AM

16,724 posts, read 13,676,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
Which do you think sounds better?
To be honest, I'd be more worried about how other people can ruin the pronunciation. My daughter named her daughter something similar and no matter how we say it, it drives my granddaughter nuts that everyone else pronounces it differently.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:45 AM

16,724 posts, read 13,676,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
you would have to change the spelling to Maira.
And then you'll get some people pronouncing it like Myra.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:34 AM

4,931 posts, read 3,131,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Finally, about Kara? There are two ways to pronounce that as well. Being Supergirl and Soviet cruiser oriented, to me, it's "Car-ah".....but I have heard it pronounced "Care-ah" as well.

My daughter's name is Kara, and we pronounce it "Care-uh." This name hit an odd uptick in popularity in the year that my daughter was born (and only in that year; strange huh?) and the several others that we've known also pronounce it that same way. I thought I heard Supergirl pronounce it that way too, but maybe I'm remembering wrong. "Car-uh" (car as in automobile) seems to be a British pronunciation.

And then there's the whole Cara vs. Kara thing going on. Clearly, we favored the K spelling, as did all but one of the ones that we've known. But that's a topic for another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting