U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 09:39 AM

4,928 posts, read 3,131,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Maira and Mayra are usually Hispanic names, and they're pronounced "Myra."
I knew a Mayra once (from Central America), and while I knew that her name was pronounced Myra, sometimes I would call her May-ra ("May" as in the 5th month of the year) just to tease her. She said that she got that a lot, mostly from people who didn't know the correct way to say it. So if you're going to name your daughter Myra, in an American context, it's probably best to just go ahead and spell it Myra.

And that brings me to Maya (pronounced My-yuh). How did that name morph into Mya? To me, Mya is a one-syllable word where all the letters kind of mash together. Though, to be fair, I could see someone pronouncing Maya as "May-uh." Maybe it would be better to spell it Maiya?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 10:01 AM

51,209 posts, read 50,499,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I knew a Mayra once (from Central America), and while I knew that her name was pronounced Myra, sometimes I would call her May-ra ("May" as in the 5th month of the year) just to tease her. She said that she got that a lot, mostly from people who didn't know the correct way to say it. So if you're going to name your daughter Myra, in an American context, it's probably best to just go ahead and spell it Myra.

And that brings me to Maya (pronounced My-yuh). How did that name morph into Mya? To me, Mya is a one-syllable word where all the letters kind of mash together. Though, to be fair, I could see someone pronouncing Maya as "May-uh." Maybe it would be better to spell it Maiya?
I would see Mya as two syllables. My-uh. I think Maya didn't morph--it was always My-uh. Think of the Mayan culture. No one calls them the May-ins (like the month).

Your post reminds me, though, that when I first saw the name of the President's daughter, Malia, I thought it was "Mail-ya".

Old 12-12-2016, 10:27 AM

15,187 posts, read 16,039,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am an American and i am amused when people say Hairy for Harry and Barey for Barry. It's just a matter of regional variations, though.
I'm from Texas and I pronounce Hairy and Harry exactly the same way. How do you pronounce them?

Old 12-12-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm from Texas and I pronounce Hairy and Harry exactly the same way. How do you pronounce them?
It's hard to say in writing to someone who pronounces the vowels differently, lol.

I would say it rhymes with carry and Larry, but you probably say cairy and lairy if you say hairy!

It's a short A, as in cat--but you might say cat differently from me, too.

OK--Harry rhymes with Marry as said in this video showing the difference between Marry, Merry, and Mary--which I realize have no differences in some parts of this country!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gSdzSrMuOI

Old 12-12-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I bet you pronounce pin and pen the same way, too. Don't you? DON'T YOU????

Come visit New York City sometime and check out Houston Street--pronounced HOW-sten. (New Yorkers don't mispronounce the Texas city, though--that's just how you say the name of the street and the man it was named after.)

Old 12-12-2016, 11:12 AM

8,857 posts, read 4,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
My daughter's name is Kara, and we pronounce it "Care-uh." This name hit an odd uptick in popularity in the year that my daughter was born (and only in that year; strange huh?) and the several others that we've known also pronounce it that same way. I thought I heard Supergirl pronounce it that way too, but maybe I'm remembering wrong. "Car-uh" (car as in automobile) seems to be a British pronunciation.

And then there's the whole Cara vs. Kara thing going on. Clearly, we favored the K spelling, as did all but one of the ones that we've known. But that's a topic for another thread.
Well, as Kara's go, there's "Kar-a"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O9SRhVXXL4
(pretty useless as a Bond girl, she's practically a child, but oh well!)

Rosanna Arquette, playing Kara, pronounced it "Kare-uh" in her episode of Trying Times (TV Series 1987

Maybe Supergirl does pronounce it that way but then again, I've only seen the movie, never the show. I believe I have heard that people who only read a language have an interesting way of pronouncing it.

Finally, pronouncing a name one way may have a different meaning than if it is said another. Take "Aja", for instance. Saying it like A-zia may mean "goat". When I came across the name (as in Barbara C.), I saw it as "Ah-JAh" and went quite a long while till I found out she pronounced it as in the record album.

So what does "Ah-JAh" mean? It's African or Arabic and means "High Priestess of Mecca".

Old 12-12-2016, 11:49 AM

2,608 posts, read 1,113,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I bet you pronounce pin and pen the same way, too. Don't you? DON'T YOU????

Come visit New York City sometime and check out Houston Street--pronounced HOW-sten. (New Yorkers don't mispronounce the Texas city, though--that's just how you say the name of the street and the man it was named after.)

I don't get it. How is the pronunciation of Hairy and Harry different? (I'm from CA)

DH from NJ pronounces "bury" as "burr-y".

On another note, when did everyone start saying "either" as "I-thur" rather than "EE-thur". Sounds so put-on to me, but what do I know!

Love the name "Mara"! (always assumed it was like "car)

Old 12-12-2016, 11:58 AM

5,500 posts, read 3,355,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I don't get it. How is the pronunciation of Hairy and Harry different? (I'm from CA)
I'm from CA too.

Basically, everyone else pronounces "hairy" the same way we do.

But for Harry, some dialects use the vowel of "cat." Haaa-ry. In CA, we don't have that vowel in front of an R, so it is very unnatural for us. But if you start saying "hat": Haaa...and then end with "ree," that's more or less it.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Look at the YouTube I posted wherein the woman pronounces Mary, Marry, and Merry. Harry is pronounced like Marry in that video. Hairy is pronounced like Mary.

Quote:
DH from NJ pronounces "bury" as "burr-y".
...AND? How else would one say "bury"? LOL, and that's how we say "berry", too. I bet you don't!

Quote:
On another note, when did everyone start saying "either" as "I-thur" rather than "EE-thur". Sounds so put-on to me, but what do I know!

Love the name "Mara"! (always assumed it was like "car)
I am not sure why some people say Eethur and some say I-thur. I was raised with Eethur, but I have heard people pronounce it the other way all my life.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm from CA too.

Basically, everyone else pronounces "hairy" the same way we do.

But for Harry, some dialects use the vowel of "cat." Haaa-ry. In CA, we don't have that vowel in front of an R, so it is very unnatural for us. But if you start saying "hat": Haaa...and then end with "ree," that's more or less it.
Hey, that was a pretty good explanation!

I was afraid to say it's the A in "cat", though, because some people do say "cayit" and "hayit" for cat and hat.

The "Hairy" for "Harry", etc., thing is widespread, though. I had this conversation with a friend who is a native of Vermont, which is pretty far from California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting