U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-13-2016, 07:20 AM
 
5,317 posts, read 7,640,982 times
Reputation: 9518

Advertisements

The HR director of our company named her baby "Moriah" and corrects anyone who pronounces it "Mara" or misspells it "Mara."

She always explains that the name "Mara" means sorrow or bitterness, and "Moriah" means awe-inspiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2016, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Denver area
21,129 posts, read 22,069,470 times
Reputation: 35489
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
The HR director of our company named her baby "Moriah" and corrects anyone who pronounces it "Mara" or misspells it "Mara."

She always explains that the name "Mara" means sorrow or bitterness, and "Moriah" means awe-inspiring.
How is it pronounced? I would think it would be more likely to be confused with Mariah than Mara. Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2016, 08:13 AM
 
5,317 posts, read 7,640,982 times
Reputation: 9518
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
How is it pronounced? I would think it would be more likely to be confused with Mariah than Mara. Interesting.
She pronounces Moriah as "More-ah." The name is from the Old Testament, so I am not sure if that is the Hebrew pronunciation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2016, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Charlotte Area
3,163 posts, read 2,885,670 times
Reputation: 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
She pronounces Moriah as "More-ah." The name is from the Old Testament, so I am not sure if that is the Hebrew pronunciation?
That's how I would have pronounced it just by looking at how it was spelled. The other way to pronounce would be Mori-ah?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2016, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Howard County, Maryland
4,900 posts, read 3,112,434 times
Reputation: 14704
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
She pronounces Moriah as "More-ah." The name is from the Old Testament, so I am not sure if that is the Hebrew pronunciation?
I would bet that 98 percent of people would pronounce it "More-eye-uh." And of the remaining 2 percent, at least half of them would pronounce it "More-ee-uh."

That said, I can't speak to its Hebrew pronunciation, so who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2016, 08:37 AM
 
5,487 posts, read 3,334,736 times
Reputation: 13891
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I would bet that 98 percent of people would pronounce it "More-eye-uh." And of the remaining 2 percent, at least half of them would pronounce it "More-ee-uh."
I agree.

I am unclear on how anyone could look at Moriah and intuitively say "more-uh." Mora? That makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2016, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Columbia SC
7,918 posts, read 6,674,139 times
Reputation: 10670
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I would bet that 98 percent of people would pronounce it "More-eye-uh." And of the remaining 2 percent, at least half of them would pronounce it "More-ee-uh."

That said, I can't speak to its Hebrew pronunciation, so who knows.
I agree.

To the OP I would say Mara as in Tara. As m Tara Plantation in Gone With The Wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2016, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
51,042 posts, read 50,339,262 times
Reputation: 59820
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I agree.

To the OP I would say Mara as in Tara. As m Tara Plantation in Gone With The Wind.
Or you could just name her Katie Scarlett.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2016, 10:32 AM
 
5,317 posts, read 7,640,982 times
Reputation: 9518
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I agree.

To the OP I would say Mara as in Tara. As m Tara Plantation in Gone With The Wind.
I have know a couple of women named Tara who have pronounced Tara as Tar-uh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2016, 10:38 AM
 
5,317 posts, read 7,640,982 times
Reputation: 9518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Or you could just name her Katie Scarlett.
I always liked her sister's name, Caroline Irene. "Carreen"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:30 PM.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top