U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 10:40 AM

5,214 posts, read 7,336,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I would bet that 98 percent of people would pronounce it "More-eye-uh." And of the remaining 2 percent, at least half of them would pronounce it "More-ee-uh."

That said, I can't speak to its Hebrew pronunciation, so who knows.

I don't know either but I am not the one who named her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 10:50 AM

8,582 posts, read 5,452,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's hard to say in writing to someone who pronounces the vowels differently, lol.

I would say it rhymes with carry and Larry, but you probably say cairy and lairy if you say hairy!

It's a short A, as in cat--but you might say cat differently from me, too.

OK--Harry rhymes with Marry as said in this video showing the difference between Marry, Merry, and Mary--which I realize have no differences in some parts of this country!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gSdzSrMuOI

Reminds me of other threads regarding how people speak and use various terms in different areas of the States. One day while scoping out books at Costco, I saw this one:

Speaking American: How Y’all, Youse , and You Guys Talk: A Visual Guide by Josh Katz

Old 12-14-2016, 11:23 AM

47,254 posts, read 47,228,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I always liked her sister's name, Caroline Irene. "Carreen"
So did I.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:09 PM

I have known many women named Laura/Lora/Lara dating back from grade school, as it was a popular name around the year I was born.

To me, they should all be pronounced differently, and sometimes they are. But usually I hear them all pronounced as "Lora."

Old 12-14-2016, 12:18 PM

20,778 posts, read 21,283,887 times
Quote:
I have known many women named Laura/Lora/Lara dating back from grade school, as it was a popular name around the year I was born.

To me, they should all be pronounced differently, and sometimes they are. But usually I hear them all pronounced as "Lora."
Just out of curiosity....are you saying Laura should be pronounced "Lah-ra", Lora should be Loar-a and

Lara should be pronounced "Lair-a"? That's the only way I can think of that all three would be pronounced differently.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Just out of curiosity....are you saying Laura should be pronounced "Lah-ra", Lora should be Loar-a and

Lara should be pronounced "Lair-a"? That's the only way I can think of that all three would be pronounced differently.
Pretty much, although slight variations of vowel tones are difficult to express in the printed form.

When I was in grade school there were seven girls named either Lora or Laura in my class. Back then I could tell how each girl's name was spelled as soon as she introduced herself. The pronunciation was definitely different.

Now it seems Lora, Laura, and Lara are all different spellings for the same name.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:06 PM

14,986 posts, read 16,073,955 times
Quote:
I don't know either but I am not the one who named her.
https://youtu.be/misryAWv9YY

The pronunciation in the audio is not what this Hebrew Jew says the correct Hebrew pronunciation is. You could always go to Isreal and see how they pronounce the name of the mountain, I suppose.

Pronunciation of Moriah - name babyname notpregnant | Ask MetaFilter

Quote:
For what it's worth, the Hebrew pronunciation (and the way Orthodox Jews named Moriah pronounce it - we have two in our family, named for an ancestor) is Mor-EE-ya. The nickname is generally Mori (MORE-ee).
posted by Mchelly at 1:58 PM on February 25, 2015 [3 favorites]

Old 12-14-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Pretty much, although slight variations of vowel tones are difficult to express in the printed form.

When I was in grade school there were seven girls named either Lora or Laura in my class. Back then I could tell how each girl's name was spelled as soon as she introduced herself. The pronunciation was definitely different.

Now it seems Lora, Laura, and Lara are all different spellings for the same name.

That then makes me wonder if you knew how everyone else's name was spelled as well.

Sherry and Shari? Kathryn/Katherine/Katharine

Also, even if the Lora/Laura/Lara do (sometimes) sound alike, they are not the same name. They have different cultural origins and meaning. For some people the origin and meaning of a name are significant.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:59 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,171,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
That then makes me wonder if you knew how everyone else's name was spelled as well.

Sherry and Shari? Kathryn/Katherine/Katharine

Also, even if the Lora/Laura/Lara do (sometimes) sound alike, they are not the same name. They have different cultural origins and meaning. For some people the origin and meaning of a name are significant.

Sherry - e is an egg
Shari - a is in at

Kathryn - 2 syllables
Katherine/Katharine - 3 syllables

As for the Laura/Lora, where I come they are pronounced the same (Loh-ra) but Lara is pronounced quite differently - Lara like Laramie

Old 12-15-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Sherry - e is an egg
Shari - a is in at

Kathryn - 2 syllables
Katherine/Katharine - 3 syllables

As for the Laura/Lora, where I come they are pronounced the same (Loh-ra) but Lara is pronounced quite differently - Lara like Laramie
Interesting. Not sure where you are from.

No matter where I've lived, I've never heard Sherry/Shari/Cherie pronounced any differently. And it's neither way you describe lol.

In my experience they are all pronounced "share-ee" . Although clearly, as you've shown, they can be pronounced differently.

Same with the Katherine/Kathryn/Katharine. All are pronounced the same, with 2 syllables. I do understand the 2-3 syllable differentiation but in reality I've never heard anyone actually pronounce it that way. Kind of like the name Margaret. We say Mar-gret", Not Mar-ga-ret. At least that's what I've heard. "Mar-ga-ret Thatcher"? I should've included Catherine as well. Cathy/Cathie/Kathy/Kathie? Rachel/Rachael?

I've purposefully used very "traditional " Western names with very traditionally accepted variance in spellings and pronunciations.

Most of the variations in vowel sounds are more based on regional pronunciation. Neither is "more correct".

I do think however, a person choosing to name their child a name that has multiple pronunciations or spellings should be prepared that people may occasionally pronounce or spell the name differently at first. If that is going to be a big annoyance, choose a different name.

Last edited by maciesmom; 12-15-2016 at 04:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or