U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2016, 03:08 PM

1,011 posts, read 527,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Soo.... "aunt" is pronounced how?

Ant.....Ahnt?

Same with Laura - the "au" sound is widely accepted as either.

Not so much with Tim v Tom.
Not compatible, they aren't two separate words, just two pronunciations of the same word. Lara is actually a distinct and separate name.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 03:11 PM

21,141 posts, read 22,112,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
Not compatible, they aren't two separate words, just two pronunciations of the same word. Lara is actually a distinct and separate name.
Nah...different pronunciations of the same word. Whether there is an alternate spelling is a separate issue. Alternate spellings often are the result of different language or cultures. Doesn't invalidate one because it's spelled differently for another.

Matthew/Mathew
Steven/Stephen
Stefan/Stephan

Just looked it up - Lara is a diminutive of Larisa and has Russian origins (which I'd actually wondered about as the first time I'd heard of the name "Lara" was "Lara's Theme" from Doctor Zhivago). This was many, many years ago and the friend would have been born long before Doctor Zhivago. Perhaps the name/spelling "Lara" wasn't as well known at that time. This was back in the days that names like Cindy, Laura, Cathy, Linda, Patty... were popular.

Laura - is Latin and from laurel. If one is in the NE, I'd imagine they pronounce laurel as "lah-rel" and subsequently it would stand to reason that Laura could be "Lah-ra". Oddly, my friend was in the midwest though

I'd guess there's room enough for both spellings and pronunciations.

Last edited by maciesmom; 12-09-2016 at 03:30 PM..

Old 12-09-2016, 03:34 PM

1,011 posts, read 527,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Nah...different pronunciations of the same word. Whether there is an alternate spelling is a separate issue. Alternate spellings often are the result of different language or cultures. Doesn't invalidate one because it's spelled differently for another.

Matthew/Mathew
Steven/Stephen
Stefan/Stephan

Just looked it up - Lara is a diminutive of Larisa and has Russian origins (which I'd actually wondered about as the first time I'd heard of the name "Lara" was "Lara's Theme" from Doctor Zhivago). This was many, many years ago and the friend would have been born long before Doctor Zhivago. Perhaps the name/spelling "Lara" wasn't as well known at that time. This was back in the days that names like Cindy, Laura, Cathy, Linda, Patty... were popular.

Laura - is Latin and from laurel. If one is in the NE, I'd imagine they pronounce laurel as "lah-rel" and subsequently it would stand to reason that Laura could be "Lah-ra". Oddly, my friend was in the midwest though

I'd guess there's room enough for both spellings and pronunciations.
The correct comparison would be:
Steven/Steve
Matthew/Matt
Laura/Lara
Mary/Marie

My point stands. Laura and Lara are not the same name and are pronounced differently.

Last edited by clawsondude; 12-09-2016 at 03:44 PM..

Old 12-09-2016, 03:44 PM

21,141 posts, read 22,112,687 times
Quote:
Sorry, but do you know what diminutive means? A diminutive name is a nickname or one that derives from another.

The correct comparison would be:
Steven/Steve
Matthew/Matt
Laura/Lara
Mary/Marie

My point stands. Laura and Lara are not the same name and are pronounced differently.
Yes, actually I do know what diminutive means. I wasn't calling Steven/Stephen diminutives... reread the post. I clearly was talking about different spellings of names that were pronounced the same. I edited to add that there are cultural/ differences in origin between the Laura and Lara and also included the names they each were diminutives of. The pronunciation could certainly be regional.

I don't get what the big deal is - who made you the name police? The "au" sound can be pronounced a variety of ways in the English language. English is terribly inconsistent so to nitpick over this particular issue seems very petty. Add to that regional variances and I fail to see how it's a "my way or the highway" situation.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:45 PM

9,487 posts, read 13,344,036 times
It probably depends very much on which region of the country you are in.
Having never seen the name Mara before my first instinct is to pronounce it with a long A, as it looks like a variation of Mary to my way of thinking.
I have heard the name Laura pronounced as both Lora and Lara, though as a parent, if I wanted to be absolutely certain of the Lora sound, I would spell it with an O rather than an AU.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:34 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,495,844 times
I know a couple people named Mara

they all go like Mar (sounding like Far) uh

Old 12-09-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Odd . . . I've always thought Maura was pronounced More-uh.
I did too

Old 12-09-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I've never heard it pronounced any way besides the "car" way.
I am looking at all the names and I know people named cara, mara, lara, and they all go with the "car" sound.

Tara is the only one where it usually is the long a.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:04 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,333,321 times
Quote:
While it's true accent can affect pronunciation, there are still right and wrong ways to say things.
No. There isn't. Pronunciation is dialect-dependent. In the U.S. there is no "right".

Linguistics 201. Linguistics 101 is learning that the term "accent" is used by people who are not linguists.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:21 PM

5,503 posts, read 3,357,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
No. There isn't. Pronunciation is dialect-dependent. In the U.S. there is no "right".
There is, however, standard and non-standard. But names like Laura/Lara are not subject to such a judgment, unlike, say, "athlete" or "nuclear," so in this context I agree with you.

Quote:
Linguistics 201. Linguistics 101 is learning that the term "accent" is used by people who are not linguists.
And sometimes by people who are. I have an MA in linguistics, and I will sometimes use the word "accent" instead of "dialect" because it is readily comprehensible to my audience. It's not advantageous to use technical terminology at all times, or to patronize people who are not as learned in a particular subject as you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting