Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 09:58 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Is that Mah as in cat or Mah as in far?

Mah as in cat?

Mah as as in car or far. That is how I've typically heard it and how a family member with that name pronounces it. Not "Mary-o". But it wouldn't surprise me if there were people that pronounced it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 10:36 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
We had that issue- Lana. Is it Lane-ah or Lawn-ah. People say both and we correct them that its LAWN-AH. Youll run into that too.

I like MAR-AH

Old 12-11-2016, 08:18 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
And to answer your pronunciation, I read it as the "a" sound in car. I think if you wanted it to rhyme with Cara or Tara you would have to change the spelling to Maira. A local news reporter where I live is named Mara and it is always pronounced as I mentioned.
Maira doesn't look like it rhymes with Tara or Cara. I would say May-ra, but you don't say Tay-ra or Cay-ra.

Well...maybe you do!

I read Mara as sounding like marriage.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Odd . . . I've always thought Maura was pronounced More-uh.
It usually is.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
No, you are incorrect here. In some dialects, LAW-ra is the usual and correct way to pronounce Laura. In the same way, Lawrence may be either LOR-ence or LAW-rence depending on where you are. It is not about ignorance. It is not about misspelling or mispronunciation. It's just about people with different accents saying things different ways.

By the way, English and Australian people think the way most Americans pronounce Harry and hairy the same way is ridiculous and "wrong." There are many other examples.
I am an American and i am amused when people say Hairy for Harry and Barey for Barry. It's just a matter of regional variations, though.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:24 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Mah as in cat?
I know, but that's how some people (especially Brits and Australians) interpret "mah." So just checking, to be on the safe side.

Quote:
Maira doesn't look like it rhymes with Tara or Cara. I would say May-ra, but you don't say Tay-ra or Cay-ra.
Maira and Mayra are usually Hispanic names, and they're pronounced "Myra."

Old 12-11-2016, 08:27 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
My husband and I are thinking of naming our child Mara. We were between Mila, Madelyn and Maya but wanted something less trendy and popular. There are 2 ways we could pronhounce Mara. Either Mar-ah pronouncing mar as in car or Mar-uh and pronouncing mar as in marriage and similar to Dara/Kara/Tara. Which do you think sounds better?
I like the first pronunciation, but I'll throw in yet another option for you. I met a little girl named Mali (Mah-li) and I think it's a cute name. And she is one spunky girl.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Mah as in cat?

Mah as as in car or far. That is how I've typically heard it and how a family member with that name pronounces it. Not "Mary-o". But it wouldn't surprise me if there were people that pronounced it that way.
You are leaving out Mario as in carry-o. (Carry not rhyming with Mary as I think it does in some regions, but with an "a" as in "cat".) That's how it is said where I live, not Mahrio OR Mary-o.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:02 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You are leaving out Mario as in carry-o. (Carry not rhyming with Mary as I think it does in some regions, but with an "a" as in "cat".) That's how it is said where I live, not Mahrio OR Mary-o.
Yes. Where I've lived, carry and Mary rhyme.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Yes. Where I've lived, carry and Mary rhyme.
Ok. So does "cat" have a distinct "short A" sound(as I would use in "carry") or is that also made long, as in "cay-it"? Just curious as to whether you have any short A sound at all in your dialect.

I know the short E is missing from a lot of American dialects, so that "pin" and "pen" sound the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting