U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 02:42 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,889,218 times

Advertisements

If the children are being cared for properly, then why should they be taken away from their mother?

There are plenty of jobs out there that are not pretty, but that's not a reason to take away one's child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 04:34 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,968,477 times
IMO, there are many "legitimate" professions that injure society much more than prostitution. These "professions" and the children of these professionals grow up with a skewed sense of right and wrong. If I were to name them and state the reasons why, I would get flamed. So just think about them yourself.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:45 AM

8,147 posts, read 3,978,417 times
No one tells the men who visit prostitutes that they're bad fathers...or bad husbands..
and Holland is just an example, to show people that other countries are different in their convictions and are not always negative. I know prostitution in the US is illegal, but so is pot and so many smoke it..Does that also make a bad parent?

Last edited by MaggieZ; 03-04-2008 at 04:54 AM..

Old 03-04-2008, 06:47 AM

2,406 posts, read 4,793,027 times
The people on this thread who say prostitutes are bad parents are solely basing their comments on judgment.

Yes, you are judging prostitutes because you think their profession is wrong and unethical.

That is not the question and that in itself does not make a bad parent. Take your judging out of the equation.

The prostitute can be working and never letting her kids know what she does. This is between 2 consenting adults. And if you think she does not deserve her kids, then the man she is sleeping with should have his kids taken awat too.

Of course prostitution does not make a bad mother. Bad parenting makes a bad mother. A woman can prostitute responsibly, and take good care of her children when they are home. Or a woman can be a professional, and be a neglecting abusve mother.

This is not about being judgmental, it saddens me that people are unable to see the situation without judging. Get off your high horses!

Old 03-04-2008, 08:19 AM

3,226 posts, read 9,973,147 times
I had a whole long post that I was going to type out in response to several points brought up and then I got to the part in which the poster above me wrote "a woman can prositute responsibly" and now I am just laughing too hard. Several of you are living in an alternate reality, and it's a lost cause and waste of time to argue the very basic points of this. Wow.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:36 AM

116 posts, read 306,413 times
Wow, are some of you serious?
It is just common sense that a responsible mother isn't going to prostitute!
I guess in the days where it is okay to test 10 possible fathers for paternity, this also is okay. So sad.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:48 AM

934 posts, read 143,149 times
I don't agree morally, no.

Does it make a bad mother- not necessarily.

I would do WHATEVER i had to do to feed and clothe my kids, and if prostitution was my ONLY option, then so be it.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:56 AM

116 posts, read 306,413 times
It is not anyones only option.
I would rather go on welfare if I was having problems.
If I was so desperate I had to be a street walker I would gladly give my kids up for a better life.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
and if prostitution was my ONLY option
I don't know what sort of reality you live in where prostitution, for a clean, healthy, responsible, willing to work hard person, would be the ONLY option.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
I don't agree morally, no.
It's not really a 'personal moral' issue exactly.

It's a basic issue of right and wrong, and making sound, responsible decisions that affect YOUR LIFE, and as such, the life of your child. If you are not doing what's right, and making irresponsible, unsafe decisions... you are NOT being a good parent. PERIOD!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting