Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 08:22 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,122,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKray View Post
Looks like I'm the opposite if you, I'm always freezing. At 32F I would be wearing a long down parka with gloves, a hat, a scarf, etc.

Did you ever try explaining to your mom how hot you were? Did she always insist on you bundling up or did she let you dress yourself as you got older?
YOU are always freezing so your daughter has to wear 4 coats?

My tween has a coat with a hood and gloves and snow boots. I do make him put on the boots so he doesn't ruin his shoes, the rest of it is his decision. If he chooses to not wear his coat and gets cold, then he's the one who is cold, not me.

btw, I live in Colorado, where many people don't consider 32F temps a reason to wear long pants instead of shorts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 08:45 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,318,841 times
The temperature in Yellowknife is currently -17 and dropping. As far as I'm concerned you are living at the North Pole. I know it's not quite, but still, your kid is basically going on an arctic expedition every time she leaves the house in winter. Most of us in the U.S. cannot fathom that kind of cold, so asking us if we force our teenagers to bundle up similarly is kind of ridiculous. It's 24 degrees and sunny in Denver right now, which isn't exactly shorts weather, but you can comfortably work outside in a fleece, hat, and long pants without any special protective gear.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:51 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,761,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I'm hoping that the OP is a teenager trying to have e some fun.
Me too. That's what this post feels like.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:03 AM

4,268 posts, read 6,277,151 times
I've given up trying to change or dictate how my kids (young teens) dress. I remember my mom constantly criticizing my clothes as a young teen, and refuse to do that to my kids (other than making them dress nicely for more formal occasions).

He prefers shorts year round (even in 30 degree weather) and sweatshirts year round (even in 100 degree weather). He doesn't argue when he has to wear long pants and a tie, although it's clear he is uncomfortable. But by choice, he prefers shorts and sweatshirts - regardless of the weather conditions.

She wears sweatshirts every day (yes, even in summer) and for some reason hates to wear clothes that match (she loves patterns and has no problem if the patterns/colors/prints don't match). I've seen her dress in black/white print pants with a bright blue/pink stiped top with orange socks and white shoes. It's dazzling really. *lol* Nine times out of ten I don't make her change, but when we're going somewhere relatively important, I tell her "black and white only, please."

Old 12-29-2016, 09:11 AM

18,762 posts, read 11,757,490 times
It's like that here in Chicago too Amy. These two crazy sisters in my life refuse to wear coats to school because it takes too much time to put them in their tiny lockers. They came to our house last winter with no coats. They said they didn't own one so I bought them both coats. Their mother told me that they wouldn't wear them anyway. I texted them a couple of weeks back because we were in some dangerous brutal cold to remind them to wear their coats. I never got an answer.

I remember taking my neighbors boys out to the park on a cold day and them taking off their coats. They were shivering but had to be tough guys. I finally convinced one to put his coat on and some other kids came and took their coats off. Doh! Monkey see monkey do. Teenagers are alien beings. Unfortunately they influence the behavior of the young ones too. I can't tell you how many people I see running around in shorts and T shirts in cold weather. It was on the news that the Bears were playing in below zero weather and the players had a long tradition of playing in short sleeves. Equally as crazy.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:15 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,684,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKray View Post
Even though it is below freezing outside I constantly see teens who are completely underdressed and some who aren't even wearing winter coats.

I don't mess around when it comes to dressing for cold weather. I have a thirteen year old daughter and I make sure she is always bundled up. She has a very long walk to school in the brutal morning cold, so serious winter gear is a must. That means that insulated snow pants and knee high winter boots are essential. I don't care how uncool my daughter thinks they are, I have to put her health and safety first. Besides she has a change of shoes at school and can wear whatever jeans or yoga pants she finds stylish underneath the snow pants. Just as long as they're on when she goes outside. Next I have her layer a puffy vest from the North Face over a fleece jacket from the same brand. Over that she wears the Canada Goose Kensington parka with the Marmot Montreaux coat under it as an extra liner. I always have my daughter wear thick gloves, a warm hat, a scarf, and both her hoods up.

I know that with all that gear on when she walks to school in single digit weather with the windchill in the negatives she's warm.

Do you force your kids to get bundled up for the cold weather?
Are you going to follow her to college to make sure she dresses warmly then too?

Old 12-29-2016, 09:25 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,684,540 times
I grew up in NE, it had to be brutal to actually wear a coat. We would wear big wool sweaters and hats and gloves rather than coats most of the time.

When my daughter went to Antarctica for a research project she had a base layer (smart wool under her clothes), her regular clothes (long sleeve tee, loose(!) jeans or pants, wool socks, etc., an insulating loft layer (usually a fleece but she did bring packable down) and a wind/waterproof layer on top (both jacket and pants).

OP I think you are doing yourself, your daughter and your gear a disservice by wearing them the way you do. For example down only works if it has loft and can trap air. If you're squishing in a bunch of loft layers, they won't work as well. Also putting anything loft over another insulating layer won't allow the air to warm up in the loft layer. Instead maybe try a better base layer, a single good loft layer, and finally a quality highly wind and water proof layer on top of it all.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:44 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,358,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Me too. That's what this post feels like.
Yes, with all the name-brands being lauded, but no car.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:46 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,318,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Yes, with all the name-brands being lauded, but no car.
I noticed that, too. A couple thousand dollars in winter outerwear? Whoa!

Old 12-29-2016, 09:59 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,158,830 times
We live in the northeast of the US. It gets COLD. I buy the kids winter gear. They decide whether to wear it. Since freezing is not fun, they do. Nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting