Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 05:42 AM

12 posts, read 11,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Yep. The numbers themselves, no problem. But if she's, say, a high school underclassman and he's a college sophomore (or has been in the workforce a while) I would be seriously wondering why he's trolling for HS kids.
True. How about 17 year hs senior with 19 year old college freshman if they met in HS that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 06:25 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,113,051 times
Quote:
Yep. The numbers themselves, no problem. But if she's, say, a high school underclassman and he's a college sophomore (or has been in the workforce a while) I would be seriously wondering why he's trolling for HS kids.
Exactly....

Old 01-02-2017, 06:27 AM

15,217 posts, read 10,288,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchBobo View Post
In this situation, how would you react? Would you be ok with it?

The problem could arise if they start having sex. The 17 year old is still considered a minor in many states.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:31 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,804,437 times
Quote:
Eh. I mean if the 19 year old made a habit out of trolling high school parties or something I could see it, but honestly that's close enough in age that it would be perfectly normal to catch each other's eye without anyone having to "troll" for anything. They could meet walking down the street or the mall and each think the other is cute. Or social media. It doesn't take much.

Am I the only one who knew multiple girls in high school with college boyfriends once we got to be juniors and seniors? It's not all that unusual if there is a college near your town.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:44 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,798,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Actually as the parent of a young man it can be worrisome when they suddenly turn 18 and are now dating a 'minor'. The parents of my son's gf didn't approve of my son dating their daughter, I was terrified they might decide to claim statutory rape once he officially became an adult. For me 17 &19 would be iffy, but once they are both at least 18 it's fine.
In most states, the age of consent is 17 or 16 - there's about a dozen where it's 18. But most jurisdictions also have Romeo & Juliet laws, which require a minimum age-difference between the parties. Usually this difference is set at two to four years.

Example:
In Minnesota the age of consent is 16. However, the Romeo & Juliet law requires that in cases of statutory rape, one partner be at least two years older than the other.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:48 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,679,906 times
I married at that age and I have been married for over 50 years.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:00 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,580,318 times
No issues whatsoever. Not that they'd listen to you anyways - at that age parents know nothing and the kids know best lol. I would make sure they have birth control options and ideally are both using the pill/ring/iud etc AND a condom. But otherwise at that age you kind of just have to cross your fingers and hope you raised them right.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:12 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,118,224 times
Quote:
In the large metropolitan city near me there is such a huge problem with men in their middle 20s (23 to 26) "dating" girls in their early to mid teens (13 to 15) that they even run public service announcements warning middle school and young HS girls about it.

But, obviously, a 25 year old man dating a 13 or 14 year old girl is completely different that kids two years apart in age, at least in most cases.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:20 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,804,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchBobo View Post
In this situation, how would you react? Would you be ok with it?
Its illegal right? i wouldn’t have it at ALL he’d be out of my house asap for dat mess. otherwise he could be a sex offender.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:25 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,146,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
Its illegal right? i wouldn’t have it at ALL he’d be out of my house asap for dat mess. otherwise he could be a sex offender.
Many posters have pointed out that it isn't necessarily illegal in all states.

With the added info that they met in high school, and are only one school year apart, nothing magically changed on his 18th birthday. They have the same age difference they had when they met. I wish they wouldn't lump situations like this in with actual predatory sex offenders. He's not a danger to society. He doesn't go looking for underage girls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting