Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 10:21 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
He doesn't need to wait. A parent can provide a drink to their child whenever they want, even at a restaurant in public (in Texas, at least). I waited tables and bartended in College and as long as the parent ordered and you delivered it to the parent, and then the parent gave it to their child, everything was by law.

Waiting makes it seem like they have to engorge themselves in drinking. A small drink here and there doesn't hurt anyone and they're taught to be more responsible with their drinking.
Ohio is that way as well. I think Ohio and Texas are WAY ahead of the game in making it much less of a deal and let parents ease them into drinking, so they learn what it is like. The drinking age thing is retarded anyway. What about 18 year olds going to war and they can't even have a beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 10:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Ohio is that way as well. I think Ohio and Texas are WAY ahead of the game in making it much less of a deal and let parents ease them into drinking, so they learn what it is like. The drinking age thing is retarded anyway. What about 18 year olds going to war and they can't even have a beer.
The laws vary from state to state. I honestly don't know what it is in Colorado, because we never would have done so. We are not teetotalers, BTW. I do know it's legal to serve a child alcohol in your own home in Colorado.

The research says that kids whose parents allow them to drink also drink more in other settings. I'm not at my regular computer right now; I'll post the cite later.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:31 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,115,161 times
We allowed our children to drink alcohol at home for special occasions, etc. not to mention they are/were college students and we knew full well they attended parties and drank before they were 21. The message was just don't be stupid about it. They are responsible drinkers now that they are all over 21.

Did we look forward to them turning 21, in a way, yes. It was a big deal to them, a coming of age/milestone, that they were excited for so we shared their excitement. I do have to say, it sure was nice to send them to the liquor store to pick up wine/beer, etc. for the holidays when the weather was not so nice.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:43 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
I looked forward to taking youngest daughter (now almost 25) out on her 21st, and bought her a couple of drinks, DH and I took her to dinner for her birthday, and it was fun helping her choose something she'd like from the menu and watching her show ID to the waitress. She'd never had much alcohol before...except a glass of wine at Christmas dinner. She chose daiquiris and enjoyed them very much.

She did join my social club at age 21, and she accompanies her dad and I to "30 cent night" every month (30 cent food, shots, and draft beers). We all enjoy that night out together. They have different liquor and schnapps offerings every month, and it gave her a chance to try out new drinks. Once, she mixed cinnamon schnapps and orange soda (what a combination!!!!), and got a little sick to her stomach on the walk home.

Neither of my two daughters snuck around drinking in their teens. Oldest daughter (31) hasn't had a drink in years...she's always pregnant or breastfeeding. Her 21st birthday experience was quite different from youngest daughter's...whereas youngest's "first drink" experience was with her dad and I, oldest daughter's fiance took her out, and she went a little overboard...and got sick. First and last time she did that.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 01-01-2017 at 07:02 AM..

Old 01-01-2017, 07:36 AM

^^I just love these stories about a kid who got drunk and sick and never did so again. It's sort of like these kids who smoke their first cigarette, start coughing and never smoke another one. We all know it doesn't happen that way for everyone. The more one drinks, the more one can tolerate alcohol. Also, the more one enjoys alcohol, the more one learns to tolerate such side effects.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:42 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Overheard an in-law saying how he can't wait til his boy turns 21 so they can have a drink together.

I have kids, and honestly, I don't think that would be in the top 50 things I'd be looking forward to doing.

Am I in the minority?

No - I was never much of a drinker and I can't grasp the concept of drinking being so important that I would be excited about my kid turning 21 so we could have a drink together.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:28 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The laws vary from state to state. I honestly don't know what it is in Colorado, because we never would have done so. We are not teetotalers, BTW. I do know it's legal to serve a child alcohol in your own home in Colorado.

The research says that kids whose parents allow them to drink also drink more in other settings. I'm not at my regular computer right now; I'll post the cite later.
When my "kids" are 18-20, I don't "allow" them to do anything. They are adults. It is their right and responsibility to make decisions about the law themselves. If they decide the risk is worth it, fine by me.

Last edited by strawflower; 01-01-2017 at 08:39 PM..

Old 01-01-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
When my "kids" are 18-20, I don't "allow" them to do anything. They are adults. It is their right and responsibility to make decisions about the law themselves. If they decide the risk is worth it, fine by me.
Don't break your neck falling off your high horse, K?

You could get in trouble with the law if your 20 yo got drunk at your home with your approval and then caused a DUI or committed some other crime under the influence. Think about that!

Old 01-01-2017, 08:55 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Don't break your neck falling off your high horse, K?

You could get in trouble with the law if your 20 yo got drunk at your home with your approval and then caused a DUI or committed some other crime under the influence. Think about that!
It's completely legal for me to serve my 20 year old alcohol in my home or buy them a drink at a bar (not others though, obviously) so I'm not sure why I'd get in trouble with the law.

(Serious question. I'm not being snarky.)

Old 01-01-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
It's completely legal for me to serve my 20 year old alcohol in my home or buy them a drink at a bar (not others though, obviously) so I'm not sure why I'd get in trouble with the law.

(Serious question. I'm not being snarky.)
Serious answer: If you served them, you get in trouble if they get in trouble, at least in Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting