Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2017, 06:23 AM

88,189 posts, read 84,046,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
I knew a woman named Cornelia, and she hated it. She went by the nickname "Candy". Her parents were Sicilian.
I knew a Cornelia. She was Cory. Her brother, Cornelius, was Neil. The parents were from the Netherlands and likely following Dutch naming conventions after deceased relatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 06:25 AM

88,189 posts, read 84,046,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Back when our local newspaper printed birth lists, I would always read the list and snicker at some of the names. One day there was "Divine Knowledge Everlasting Love Allah". As Dave Barry used to say, "I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP!"

My late husband's six sisters all had the name Mary as their first names. Not their confirmation names, mind you, but the names on their birth certificates. Needless to say, they went by their middle names. I can imagine what taking roll in parochial schools used to be like.....Mary? Here! Mary? Here! Mary? Present! Mary? I'm here, Sister! Mary? Silence....Mary? Has anybody seen Mary today? No? OK, then, Theresa? Here! Theresa? Here! Theresa? Present!
I know a family like that, too. Four sisters, all Mary this or Mary that. Boys have their own names, but also Catholic saints. One of them married a girl named Mary who looks creepily like his sisters.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:54 AM

6,480 posts, read 6,129,824 times
Yachroutu

Old 01-09-2017, 07:08 AM

15,199 posts, read 10,194,348 times
Quote:
Back when our local newspaper printed birth lists, I would always read the list and snicker at some of the names. One day there was "Divine Knowledge Everlasting Love Allah". As Dave Barry used to say, "I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP!"

My late husband's six sisters all had the name Mary as their first names. Not their confirmation names, mind you, but the names on their birth certificates. Needless to say, they went by their middle names. I can imagine what taking roll in parochial schools used to be like.....Mary? Here! Mary? Here! Mary? Present! Mary? I'm here, Sister! Mary? Silence....Mary? Has anybody seen Mary today? No? OK, then, Theresa? Here! Theresa? Here! Theresa? Present!
My sister's friend is from the Philippines; father was American. All three girls have Maria as their first name and use their second name. Maybe it's a cultural thing?

Old 01-09-2017, 07:45 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,318,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know a family like that, too. Four sisters, all Mary this or Mary that. Boys have their own names, but also Catholic saints. One of them married a girl named Mary who looks creepily like his sisters.
From a long time ago, but several (but not all) the males in my paternal grandfather's family were named John and went by their middle names. My grandfather was the oldest and went by "John". But Uncle Paul and Uncle Harry were actually John Paul and John Harry. Several of the girls also went by their middle names, but they were all different. Interestingly, Aunt Margaret was really Barbara Margaret while Aunt Phil was Margaret Philaphena (not sure of the spelling on that last one).

Old 01-09-2017, 08:49 AM

4,039 posts, read 4,921,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There is something like this within DH's family. His uncle is a William middle name, his son is a William Middle name and goes by middle name and now his son is a William middle name and goes by middle name. I'm not sure if Uncle's 2nd son is a William middle and if his name is actually his middle as well. Hmmm....

Old 01-09-2017, 09:16 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,650,599 times
Quote:

It is an old Irish tradition to name girls after the grandmothers, and then the mom, since Mary was the most common name, you frequently ended up with a bunch of Mary Somethings. Now some just do it for the "irish" of it. I have a student who is Mary Madison, sister is Mark Mackenzie, and so on. They just write their names M. Madison and M. Makenzie. Their mom did it so even if they get married and take their husbands name, they still have a family link through their first names. I kind of like it.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:25 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,213,585 times
"Unique" names, ones that are currently trending hugely, anything that is difficult to spell upon hearing (wouldn't want my kids to have to be constantly spelling their names out for people).

My main criteria for naming my children is whether the name works in both English and Finnish but with more emphasis on working in Finnish. Went with Maria for my daughter, even though its consistently one of the most common names worldwide we have yet to come across any around her age, but its a good classic name that is simple to spell. If I have a son he'll be named Aslak for sure, its an old Lappish name and is the name of a hero from Lappish folklore (and would have been my name if I were a boy).

Old 01-11-2017, 07:48 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,142,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
"Unique" names, ones that are currently trending hugely, anything that is difficult to spell upon hearing (wouldn't want my kids to have to be constantly spelling their names out for people).

My main criteria for naming my children is whether the name works in both English and Finnish but with more emphasis on working in Finnish. Went with Maria for my daughter, even though its consistently one of the most common names worldwide we have yet to come across any around her age, but its a good classic name that is simple to spell. If I have a son he'll be named Aslak for sure, its an old Lappish name and is the name of a hero from Lappish folklore (and would have been my name if I were a boy).
My husband wanted to name a boy Miikka after his favorite hockey player (Kiprusoff). I told him I didn't think Americans would understand it. The spelling or the pronunciation. Or gender for that matter. Is it common in Finland?

Old 01-11-2017, 08:16 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,895,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Tall Mountain Goat Hoof Thunder Barker

well, if someone wanted a uniquely named baby, tho I don't think this would be appropriate for a girl...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting