Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 11:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
"Peyton" is a gender-neutral name? That's a new one on me. I thought it was a Place.
Ha, ha! Think Peyton Manning. Well, maybe you're not a Broncos fan!

Yes, it's unisex, but as happens with such names, it started out a boy's name but as it became more unisex it's more girl than boy now. I find it interesting it's popular as a girls' name in the south, where it's more common to give girls "male"-type names.
https://graphiq-stories.graphiq.com/...0643#38-Peyton
https://nameberry.com/babyname/Peyton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 12:24 PM

554 posts, read 683,181 times
First name of Anita when your last name is any variation of a body part or some other proper noun...

We had kids at our school with the following last names: Butman, Dick, Raise, Handcock, Stabb, Jobs - any of those would have been murder with Anita (say it slowly for anyone that's not getting the picture)

Old 07-28-2017, 09:14 PM

834 posts, read 743,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Or Maria, that's timeless and cross-cultural, that's what I named my daughter so she can fit in anywhere and any time
I'm a Maria! Although my entire life I've been asked if I'm Italian or some sort of Hispanic. I get it, I have dark hair & eyes, but I feel like people are surprised when I explain that I'm not Italian nor Hispanic. People often speak Spanish to me, and my own mother in law assumed I was Italian for a couple of years...I didn't realize it until she thought that's why I liked to make pasta lol.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:24 PM

301 posts, read 519,339 times

Please don't for a girl:

*Fonda Lynn (nothing is wrong with "Fonda" or "Lynn", but put the two in order like that, and it's too easily manipulated into something else).
*Anything with a symbol in it other than an apostrophe (e.g. La-a for Ladasha. I teach typing for a living. That's not a dash. It's a hyphen. Her name would be Lahyphena to me.)

Please don't for a boy:

*Cheynne (pronounced "Shane", but upon a quick read, looks like Cheyenne; which to me, is a girl's name)
*XZavier (with both initials. No, just no. Pick one or the other: Xavier, or Zavier.)

DH has an unusual first name and last name. I have the most common first name the year I was born, and a common girl's first name as my maiden last name. It lead to a lot of confusion because people thought my maiden last name was my first name.

We tried really hard to name our kids something middle ground; something that would be read and pronounced easily, but wasn't so common that our kids would be in a whole classroom of kids with the same name.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:37 AM

3,247 posts, read 2,333,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Well definitely not Donald.
No one under 60 is Donald or Ronald or Gary.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
The only names I am opposed to are weird spellings. I had one employee that told me he named his daughter Myrackle. He wrote it on a little bio project we did. I would have never guessed it was pronounced Miracle until he said it. A friend from college named her daughter Alekksandra. I hate the spelling of it.
Why do so many people give their daughters names with weird spellings? The poor kid has to spend their lives telling people how to pronounce their name and how to spell it. Parents seem to only do this to their daughters and not their sons.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdragon8212 View Post
First name of Anita when your last name is any variation of a body part or some other proper noun...

We had kids at our school with the following last names: Butman, Dick, Raise, Handcock, Stabb, Jobs - any of those would have been murder with Anita (say it slowly for anyone that's not getting the picture)
Years ago I knew a girl with the name Cherry. Her last was Hunt. Ugh.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:08 AM

301 posts, read 519,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
No one under 60 is Donald or Ronald or Gary.
A couple of years ago, my (then 17-year old) kiddo was late for curfew and said he was hanging out with his buddy Gary. I didn't believe him then, and I told him, in a quote, that "Nobody under 50 is named Gary." Well, this kid was. Named after a family member, I believe.

At the time, I thought my kiddo invoked the name of SpongeBob's pet snail, hoping to buy some time. But this kid really is named Gary, and he's under 20 years old. Go figure.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:24 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I find it curious that so many people think someone named Mercedes is named after a car. Comes up here every so often.

The car was named after the daughter of one of the founders of the company that manufactured the brand. Mercedes is one of those old Spanish names with a religious meaning. Think "mercy".

I learned that decades ago. Thought it was common knowledge, but apparently not.
Mercedes means "mercies" in Spanish. The Californian city Merced means, singular, "mercy."

From the Mercedes-Benz web site:

in April 1900, Daimler Motoren-Gesellschaft reached an agreement with Emil Jellinek for the supply of innovative cars and engines. At the time, Jellinek was the largest dealer for DMG vehicles, with contacts in the very highest echelons of society. The pseudonym "Mercédès", under which Jellinek entered car races, was to become the brand name for these Daimler products. This name was inspired by the Austrian businessman's daughter, Mercédès Jellinek, who was born in Vienna in 1889.

(By the way, Hitler loved his Mercedes-Benzes, but Mercedes Jellinek was Jewish.)

Old 07-29-2017, 06:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosin View Post

Please don't for a girl:

*Fonda Lynn (nothing is wrong with "Fonda" or "Lynn", but put the two in order like that, and it's too easily manipulated into something else).
*Anything with a symbol in it other than an apostrophe (e.g. La-a for Ladasha. I teach typing for a living. That's not a dash. It's a hyphen. Her name would be Lahyphena to me.)

Please don't for a boy:

*Cheynne (pronounced "Shane", but upon a quick read, looks like Cheyenne; which to me, is a girl's name)
*XZavier (with both initials. No, just no. Pick one or the other: Xavier, or Zavier.)

DH has an unusual first name and last name. I have the most common first name the year I was born, and a common girl's first name as my maiden last name. It lead to a lot of confusion because people thought my maiden last name was my first name.

We tried really hard to name our kids something middle ground; something that would be read and pronounced easily, but wasn't so common that our kids would be in a whole classroom of kids with the same name.

The whole Ladasha thing is an urban legend. Le-a
"As to whether there is such a child, despite our hearing from dozens and dozens of readers who have claimed to us a girl bearing such a name was in their class or was in a class taught by a relative or acquaintance of theirs, we’ve yet to find documentation of anyone’s bearing a name of “Le-a” that is pronounced “Ledasha” (or any other way). What we found through searching online Social Security databases (which are not complete repositories of information and thus aren’t the final say in the matter) showed that while there were more than 4,000 “Lea”s, there weren’t any “Le-a”s. For what it’s worth, references in various news stories document that “Ledasha” (fully spelled out, not in a “Le-a” form) has indeed been used as a girl’s name."

My brother has a very common male name for his birth cohort, and a last name that can also be a first name. He has the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosin View Post
A couple of years ago, my (then 17-year old) kiddo was late for curfew and said he was hanging out with his buddy Gary. I didn't believe him then, and I told him, in a quote, that "Nobody under 50 is named Gary." Well, this kid was. Named after a family member, I believe.

At the time, I thought my kiddo invoked the name of SpongeBob's pet snail, hoping to buy some time. But this kid really is named Gary, and he's under 20 years old. Go figure.

Yes, having worked in pediatrics, every now and then we'd see a child with an "old" name. I remember a little girl named "Renee" for instance. Few name their baby girls that today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting