Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 05:00 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times

Advertisements

Not to mention, drinking that young could lead to alcoholism, not finishing school, unemployment, pregnancy, etc. The list goes on!

Last edited by CGab; 01-01-2017 at 05:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 05:23 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Not to mention, drinking that young could lead to alcoholism, not finishing school, unemployment, pregnancy, etc. The list goes on!

Yep. There are age limits on drinking for a reason. Enough kids are dying from texting and driving, or other causes as it is. Parents need to start being parents, and not friends. I am very close to my two sons, but they always knew that dad was dad. Every day, I see parents who need to be more in control of their kids.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:35 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Not in a million years. I remember the "cool" parents who let their kids drink and their kids' friends drink. We may have thought it was fun, but we had no respect for them (and neither did their kids). Parents can't expect kids to respect their rules while basically sending them the message that rules (specifically about 16 year olds drinking) don't need to be followed.

Ironically, those kids who had parents who let them drink were the ones who drank more than their peers even when their parents weren't there. They always seemed to be the drunkest at the party. It's not like they only drank at their parents house.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:37 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
I would rather let them drink alcohol, know about it, stay in control and teach them how to handle it, rather than have them sneak behind my back and do it anyways.
Every, single person I went to high school with whose parents let them drink also drank in places other than their home. If you think kids only drink when you're around or in their own homes, you are horribly naive.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:54 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Every, single person I went to high school with whose parents let them drink also drank in places other than their home. If you think kids only drink when you're around or in their own homes, you are horribly naive.
Yep. It's viewed as normalization and implicit approval of any drinking.

Research has proven multiple times that giving children "sips" of alcohol and letting teens drink in the home as a misguided way of "teaching" them how to drink properly doesn't achieve the intended consequences.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:55 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
No I'd be a strict parent and have my kids secretly binge drink at random places then drive home!!!

I had a friend in high school whose parents would let him have a party once or twice a month at their acreage/big house near town. The deal was that if you wanted to come/drink you had to give them your keys until morning. Worked out great.

Last edited by 6.7traveler; 01-01-2017 at 09:57 PM..

Old 01-01-2017, 09:36 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,453 times
Lawyers get down on their knees and pray every night for these kind of parents.

"Oh Lord, let those parents allow underage drinking in their home, let just one of those teens have to unexpectedly leave early and have a mild wreck, nothing too serious, on the way home, some property damage would be nice. If not a wreck then some kind of medical issue, along with the already suggested property damage. And let those parents who allowed the drinking to have some assets we can attach when the judgement comes, and with your blessing, the judgement will come in our favor. Thank you again Lord for all the stupid people in the world, Amen.".

Old 01-02-2017, 03:00 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Seeing as most of the problems raised are about 16 year olds getting into car accidents after drinking, doesn't that make you think 16 year olds shouldn't be driving? Especially if aren't mature enough to realise they shouldn't be driving after drinking. You can't drive until 18 in my country, except for mopeds (and those special moped cars that can't go faster than 60kph or something like that) so no hypothetical 16 year old having a drink at my house will be getting into a car crash, and by the time they are old enough to drive I would expect them to be old enough to realise that driving after even one drink is completely stupid and irresponsible and any one that did that wouldn't be welcome in my home again.

Old 01-02-2017, 04:47 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
I'm not a parent but my friend lets her daughter drink as long as they don't go anywhere but also let her friend drink. Someone she hadn't met before and doesn't know the parents. My friend and her cousins told her she shouldn't especially not knowing her parents. She doesn't think it's a big deal.
Indefensible, irresponsible and illegal. She should be arrested.

Contributing to the delinquency of a minor, and serving alcohol to a minor are serious offences. Plus she is also the one who will be sued if anything happens.

Personally, if someone had done that with my teens I would have come down on them hard in every way legally possible.

Old 01-02-2017, 04:59 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
I would rather let them drink alcohol, know about it, stay in control and teach them how to handle it, rather than have them sneak behind my back and do it anyways.
I disagree. If you are serving them alcohol you have already lost control.
But, more to the point...no one has the right to make that decision about someone else's teen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting