Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 06:50 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post
People talk about deadbeat dads often enough, but have you know any deadbeat mothers? If so, do you view deadbeat moms as bad as deadbeat dads?
Never have known any, but there are certainly plenty of media tales out there. Most of them have to do with drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 08:01 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,730,345 times
Yes I have known one. My friends bother was married with a disabled son. When their son turned 3 the wife just left. She wanted nothing to do with her son. She said his disability was just too much for her to handle. She got pregnant a year later and has yet to see her son. It's been 12 years She was not on drugs or alcohol, just a terrible mom IMO. Can't imagine not seeing my kids everyday!

Old 01-05-2017, 08:36 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,085 times
One of my oldest and dearest friends (we've known each other since we were ten) got involved with this crazy woman and I begged him to reconsider. Of course he didn't listen and married her when she got pregnant. They seemed happy when the second one came along but he soon discovered that she was having an affair. It all went down hill and she was addicted to heroine. He was awarded full custody when the girls were around 8 and 10. The mother rarely saw them until the oldest one wanted to reconnect. Well the mother got her hooked on heroine. His daughter started stealing from anyone and everyone including him to get her fix. She nearly died one night in her bed from an over dose. His life was a nightmare and still is. Those girls are in their 30's and still living off of him. One has never worked. The one addicted to heroine has a job that she has managed to keep for awhile. He's very sick now having had a couple of heart attacks and strokes at only 61. I can't help but wonder if his life would have been better if he had listened to me?

Old 01-05-2017, 01:26 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,145,262 times
My sister and I babysat for a wealthy man whose wife took off to tour the world with another guy and left her 5 and 3 year old children. The poor 5 year old girl acted so old for her age and I always wonder what happened to her. The mother was an educated professional (attorney I believe) and just abandoned her kids to have fun with her new boyfriend. It may sound like a double standard but I do believe mothers just bond differently with kids than fathers so it's extra shocking when a woman just ups and leaves (unless there is drugs or alcohol involved).

Old 01-05-2017, 02:03 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,997 times
Oh yeah, my Mother abandoned my brother and I when I was 8 and he was 5.
Of course though, my Father was a narcissistic SOB who mentally and verbally abused her and she ran off with a high school sweetheart to the other side of the country to get away from him.
I really never did blame her for escaping.
I just wished that she had taken my brother and I with her.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:06 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
Oh yeah, my Mother abandoned my brother and I when I was 8 and he was 5.
Of course though, my Father was a narcissistic SOB who mentally and verbally abused her and she ran off with a high school sweetheart to the other side of the country to get away from him.
I really never did blame her for escaping.
I just wished that she had taken my brother and I with her.
This.
Plus-

Lets just say sometimes the SOBs fight tooth and nail (and run down the familiy's finances on legal fees) and get to keep custody- especially when Mom has been out of town for years working to provide for the family.
While the SOB isn't working.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
My sister and I babysat for a wealthy man whose wife took off to tour the world with another guy and left her 5 and 3 year old children. The poor 5 year old girl acted so old for her age and I always wonder what happened to her. The mother was an educated professional (attorney I believe) and just abandoned her kids to have fun with her new boyfriend. It may sound like a double standard but I do believe mothers just bond differently with kids than fathers so it's extra shocking when a woman just ups and leaves (unless there is drugs or alcohol involved).
You don't know if mom wanted those kids. Wealthy man means good lawyers- I personally know of someone who has fought for custody for THREE years - husband is wealthy- and so far legal fees top $100,000. And she barely gets visitation.

It really is a double standard.

Women have come too far to put up with the abuse from these husbands. There are all sorts of ways to manipulate women, especially if they are out working,
the kids become an easy pawn-

Family court judges DO NOT LIKE TO MOVE KIDS from their home.

you guys should check out this documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZTOT6DKfZ8

(its informative, and true)

Old 01-05-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shira_k View Post
I know a few who left their families for a variety of reasons*to find themselves*, *to focus on my career*, etc.

I know mothers whose kids couldn't get along with a new spouse and the mother chose the spouse over the kidsd.

I know mothers up choose to stay in deplorable and abusive situations with their children because they don't want to get divorced.

I think that we don't know The whole story even if we think we do. I'm not talking about drug or alcohol abuse. But the situations where *we* see a mother (or father) who *walk away* for *no apparent reason*, sometimes the other parent is very controlling and abusive and abused the court and social services systems to the point where the alienated parent really*cannot* be in contact with their children.
This. Divorce is just awful all the way around.
The court system really isn't about justice or fairness.

I think dead beat refers to the parents who don't contribute in any way but keep in sporadic contact (enough to distress the child not a true attempt at keeping in contact).

Last edited by CAjerseychick; 01-05-2017 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 01-05-2017, 05:52 PM

195 posts, read 161,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
You don't know if mom wanted those kids. Wealthy man means good lawyers- I personally know of someone who has fought for custody for THREE years - husband is wealthy- and so far legal fees top $100,000. And she barely gets visitation.

Women have come too far to put up with the abuse from these husbands. There are all sorts of ways to manipulate women, especially if they are out working,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZTOT6DKfZ8

So wives are never abusive or will use the kids as pawns?

Old 01-06-2017, 05:59 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,748,347 times
Quote:
This.
Plus-

Lets just say sometimes the SOBs fight tooth and nail (and run down the familiy's finances on legal fees) and get to keep custody- especially when Mom has been out of town for years working to provide for the family.
While the SOB isn't working.
Quote:

Why is it bad for men to fight for custody of their children? There is a trend towards shared 50/50 custody in some states though. Maybe that trend will grow and fewer parents from either gender will have to fight to see their own kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting