Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 09:07 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

From today's Washington Post Personal Fiance

The following story would make a great segment for ABC’s television show, “What Would You Do?”

Here’s what happened, according to James Bussell, who runs the investigative division for the Traverse City Police Department in Michigan.

A Michigan teenager allegedly stole personal information about her father and got a credit card in his name. The 18-year-old used the card to book a $1,200 flight to Germany on New Year’s Day to see her boyfriend. The teen’s father found out from his bank about the fraudulent charge on the morning of said flight at 9:15 a.m.

Dad calls the police, who then contact TSA, Bussell said in an interview.

Officials find out in time to pull the girl off the plane at the Cherry Capital Airport (apparently cherries are a big thing in this part of Michigan).

Father tells the police he wants to file charges.

What would you do at this point?

Me, I’m so feeling the dad, who has to be disappointed and angry. Filing charges would teach my baby an important lesson. You don’t steal. Your actions have consequences.

“Initially the father he said he wanted to press charges,” Bussell said reading from a dispatch entry. “But after we located his daughter, he said he wanted to think about it. He wanted to wait to hear from his bank. Two days later, he and wife decided not to pursue charges.”

The father recovered all but $416 of the ticket because it was canceled before the flight took off, Bussell said.

Of course it’s up to a prosecutor on whether the teen, who was not identified, will be charged, but it’s unlikely, Bussell said.

The young woman would face felony charges and, if convicted, that’s a sting that can last a lifetime.

“It’s got to be tough on parents to make the right call,” Bussell said.

I can understand while the parents pulled back. But that young lady would be responsible for some serious restitution, including paying back the $416.

--------------
I would be furious and wonder what kind of prior entitlements happened to make this kid think she could get away with this. Obviously she lacks a great deal of maturity. I also think the boyfriend had to be involved in some way as well if only knowing what she did. If the BF was a minor and living with his parents I think I would notify them of what these two idiots tried to do. But filing charges would be extreme. However this is fair warning. "Try something like this again which is stealing from your parents and you are out on your butt PLUS charges will be filed."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 09:14 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
I wouldn't want my 18 year old to have a felony. But it really depended on how things were going for this kid already. It could have been the last straw...and being 18, the parents have little recourse to teach her from this. But in general, I don't believe in the concept of being "scared straight"...so many factors would be involved.

I had a teen foster daughter who slapped me across the face once. It didn't occur to me to call the police at that moment. She went out for a long walk to cool down and when she came back, I told her she had one free-bie because next time I would call the cops and ask for her to be charged. It didn't happen again.

I also caught her smoking pot, as well as one of my step sons. I took the pot and flushed it, but I had no desire to call the police on them

Old 01-05-2017, 09:44 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,294 times
Sounds like a typical story from a lowlife family.
- Why she didn't asked his father to pay the ticket?
- She is 18 and she don't have savings for paying €1,200 for a ticket? Has she squandered all the money she has get as gifts in the 18 years?

We don't now the circumstances, but maybe she should become independent as fast as possible and then break with his father for ever.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:48 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I have to say, I don't get the snark about the cherries. Every locale has names that seem funny or odd to outsiders. I come from Beaver County, Pennsylvania, and there are a lot of "Beaver" names there, e.g. Beaver (the county seat), Beaver Falls, Big Beaver, South Beaver, and many others including Beaver County airport. Then there's my SIL from Belchertown, Massachusetts and a guy I know from Hungry Horse, Montana. So what?

I, too, would have a hard time with saddling an 18 yo with a felony. Would I be angry? Of course! Would I expect restitution? Yes, but sometimes that's hard to accomplish. Something about getting blood from a turnip.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:22 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
- She is 18 and she don't have savings for paying €1,200 for a ticket? Has she squandered all the money she has get as gifts in the 18 years?

We don't now the circumstances, but maybe she should become independent as fast as possible and then break with his father for ever.
very strange post. what makes you think they are a lowlife family?
She had to have had a passport to get through security and on the plane.
She didn't ask her father because she knew he would say no.
How many 18 year olds do you know with $1,200? At least had access to that much money? There are many high school kids who do not work and are busy with sports, extra curricular activities and their parents don't even want them to work. She also might have spent her time learning how to type and spell and use proper grammar. Just sayin'.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:46 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I wouldn't want my 18 year old to have a felony. But it really depended on how things were going for this kid already. It could have been the last straw...
Pretty much this, and there would also be the guilt I felt at not instilling a better sense of right and wrong in my child. I wouldn't want to make their lives harder with a felony conviction for something I felt I might be partly responsible for.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:51 AM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post

I am not sure what you mean by "low life family". Gifts given are not part of the question here.

A felony based on theft will basically ruin her professional career from admission to secondary education aka college to even basic jobs. Expunging records does not do much good as back ground checks generally set red flags.

Unlike records in Germany - this does not get sealed or "go away".

Becoming independent when you have no education or job is generally a bit difficult. Even if not convicted the arrest will be of record.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:54 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I wouldn't want my 18 year old to have a felony. But it really depended on how things were going for this kid already. It could have been the last straw...and being 18, the parents have little recourse to teach her from this. But in general, I don't believe in the concept of being "scared straight"...so many factors would be involved.

I had a teen foster daughter who slapped me across the face once. It didn't occur to me to call the police at that moment. She went out for a long walk to cool down and when she came back, I told her she had one free-bie because next time I would call the cops and ask for her to be charged. It didn't happen again.

I also caught her smoking pot, as well as one of my step sons. I took the pot and flushed it, but I had no desire to call the police on them
I agree with you. If the criminal justice system was actually set up to rehabilitate people and people didn't view a police record of any kind as the spawn of Satan, my answer would be different. But getting the police involved would just make it that much harder to get back on track and should only be used as a last resort.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:00 AM

245 posts, read 197,521 times
No my mother would probably beat the crap out of me ( I am not recommending this ) but not call the police. Giving them a felony will more than likely have them end up in your basement than out of the house.
Some states they can't get financial aid. More employers won't hire you either.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:20 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Interesting that he wanted to wait to hear from his bank. Like the money was the most important concern.

Charges? If the DA is considering them, Dad won't have to. But as a parent, I would be SO concerned about the level of deceit and premeditation that went into this. At minimum, this family has a SERIOUS communication problem, and the daughter obviously believes she has to live life "underground" by going to such drastic measures. She needs recalibration. Very sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting