U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 08:59 AM

3,878 posts, read 1,518,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Why do certain people insist on not seeing everyone as equal?
Very few people are equal to each other. I support people being seen as equal in the eyes of the law though, and I don't see that I said anything in my previous post that would indicate otherwise.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:06 AM

2,882 posts, read 2,375,887 times
Excellent! Now more children will be able to identify families that look like their own in this publication. I'm not sure how anyone could see more inclusiveness as a bad thing.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:12 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,231,121 times
Gay parents exist in the real world. There's no reason they shouldn't exist in the pages of Highlights.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:58 AM

4,742 posts, read 6,048,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
A question I have:

Why do certain groups always want to change what it is already successful?

Why don't they just start a magazine/club/etc./dedicated to their cause -- wouldn't they be overwhelmed with interest/immediately profitable since the need is so great and everyone wants it?
Let's reverse the question: Why should families that consist of same sex parents HAVE to start their own club? It is a reality of life.

And some of us prefer to expose our children to the diversity of life without seeking out special publications, clubs, etc.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:45 AM

16,272 posts, read 19,541,583 times
Quote:
A question I have:

Why do certain groups always want to change what it is already successful?

Why don't they just start a magazine/club/etc./dedicated to their cause -- wouldn't they be overwhelmed with interest/immediately profitable since the need is so great and everyone wants it?

It is not 1948 any longer. It would be odd if "Highlights" continued to depict people who were dressed in 1948 attire and vehicles from 1948 - today. It would be odd if they didn't know that children today have access to the internet.

They would become irrelevant.

It would also be odd if "Highlights" did not depict children of color. They do. So why not depict families in all configurations available and acceptable TODAY? Not almost 70 years ago...back when America was "great" to some, and we had segregation.

Families come in many different colors and configurations. Actually, they always have.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:11 PM

1,887 posts, read 654,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
All I'm going to say is this: No matter what you feel or think about homosexuality, its not going away and I do hope you teach your children to treat EVERYONE with respect.
Respect is a two-way street. And it HAS TO BE EARNED. Be respectful, and you will get respect. It has nothing to do with labels. You shouldn't get a free pass just because you wear a special ribbon. It also has zero to do with opinions. It is how you conduct yourself. Being respectful of EVERYONE, not just who you agree with.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:43 PM

6,254 posts, read 3,461,428 times
Awesome! We receive Highlights magazines.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:51 PM

626 posts, read 256,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Maybe another child would see a dad & an uncle in the same illustration. There are all sorts of families, why pretend all of them are like Ozzie & Harriet?
Exactly! I would have wondered why there are 2 men in the picture and would simply have assumed the other is probably the uncle. And I am not a child and fully aware that gay couples who have kids exist, no matter if I approve of that or not.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:05 PM

24,575 posts, read 17,179,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Awesome! We receive Highlights magazines.
My son just got his in the mail today!

Old 01-09-2017, 04:05 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,231,121 times
Quote:
It is exactly the same thing. Asking for a product that the establishment doesn't produce.

It has nothing to do with what I *believe*. It has to do with what is TRUTH. If a company advertises as a Christian/Bible based company it doesn't take a rocket scientist to UNDERSTAND that they don't make gay wedding cakes. Going there and trying to order one is ridiculous. My example stands. Why would you go there? To create a lawsuit, nothing more and nothing less, and try to put someone out of business.
Not even close. A bakery bakes cakes. If a customer orders and can pay for the cake it should be made. Why are they concerned with a customer's sex life? There is no such thing as a gay wedding cake. The cake is made with the same ingredients. It's just a cake.

If I walk into a Chinese restaurant I expect Chinese food. Not Greek food. Regardless of my sexual orientation. A straight person wouldn't be provided Greek food and a gay person denied.

I can't believe I have to explain this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting