Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2017, 08:47 AM

4,039 posts, read 4,911,551 times

Advertisements

My son recently had testing with an Audiologist. He has integration delays (CAPD). He will have further testing with a psychologist , speech language pathologist, educational testing etc. We will have our next IEP meeting in 2-3 weeks.

My question is for all the parents with a child with one. As a parent of a child with an IEP or 504 plan what are the pros for the student having one? Are there any cons as a parent of a child with one?

I plan to cross post this in the eduation forum as I want to get the cons/pros from being a teacher of a student with one.

I have pursued testing for my son because I knew it was more than he didn't like writing and couldn't follow multi step directions and he wasn't paying attention. I want it to help him as I have seen the frustration and I don't want it to always be this hard to do what is easy for most. I want him to find ways to help himself figure out ways that work to make it so it's "easier" to learn then it has been.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 02:12 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,902,492 times
One of my kids has an IEP and the other has a 504. My daughter with an IEP gets pulled out for lessons in smaller groups, which helps her learn at her own pace and get the extra attention she might need. The downside to this is that she misses out on some things that her class is doing when she isn't there, so she doesn't always get to participate in everything they do. My daughter with a 504 mostly just gets testing accommodations, so she takes her standardized tests in a different room with more breaks. Right now she does not see this as a problem, but maybe in the future she may find it stigmatizing.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:09 PM

676 posts, read 719,432 times
My son has IEP and it helps alot. A lot of things are over looked if they start falling behind. He gets pulled out of class for how ever long and helped with what ever he needs help with. I don't really see any cons.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:24 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,815,937 times
Pursuing an IEP for our middle son was possibly the best thing we ever did regarding his education. We knew he was intelligent, we also knew he was struggling academically, at least in some areas. His teachers agreed, we requested the testing, and have never regretted it. Despite living in three different states from elementary till high school graduation, our experiences were completely positive ones.

At the time of high school graduation, his CST recommended transitioning him to a 504, which we agreed to. The differences can be confusing. A 504 plan offers legal protection to those with physical or mental disabilities, an IEP offers an individual education plan that the parents are involved in the specifics of. One counselor explained it to me as a 504 being an "IEP Light". I don't believe a 504 requires regular reviews the way an IEP does, but, again, it can be confusing.

The stigma of an IEP was non-existent in our case. And, since our son graduated college and is gainfully employed, we've been happy with that decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting